Started a case with RAM today - lemon law??

Do your heated seats stay on

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I've only had my new truck about 2 months now. 2018 1500 sport. I noticed that my passenger side heated seat turns completely off in about 3 minutes. Driver side functions as it should, although it does not get real warm. Anyways - I took the truck to the dealer today and got the magical response of "there's nothing we can do about it". So while at the dealer, I had my sales guy take me out to another 2018 model with heated seats only and that truck did the same thing. Passenger side shut down after 4 or 5 minutes. We tested a limited with cooled and heated seats and those functioned as they should. So, there's a defect somewhere. My question is, is this something that if they can not get it fixed, does it qualify for the lemon law? I expect my $50K truck to work as it should or at least be able to be fixed if an issue does arise. What do yall think?

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
Another guy in here has a rebel doing the same thing. Might be a particular seat style with the issue

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have leather with heated/cooled seats or cloth with heated only?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I hardly doubt that is lemon law worthy.

Are you sure the seats aren't just getting up to temp and shutting off? Is anyone seated in the passenger seat when you do this test? I see you are in Florida and it is the middle of summer.

If the dealer isn't able to fix it (or try) open a case with FCA so the can pursue it further.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
The seats with ventilation and heat have the heat run a longer cycle and do not get as hot as the seats that have no ventilation on them. Your truck might have the ones that get hot faster and as said above since it is summer and in Florida, they are probably turning off on purpose to avoid overheating. Even if it is something broken, you can't lemon law a vehicle for that. Things like a broken heated seat are why manufacturers give a warranty.

If you really think it is broken and the dealer is just blowing you off, take it to another dealer.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
True story... my son gets cold with the a/c on 71 degrees where I like it. He rides around with his seat heat on in 100 degree outside heat. My 2016 with the cloth seats will run heat for, I can't even tell you how long. It just stays on indefinitely. If I were to guess, you have leather and there must be some time of thermal overload happening.

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Running heated seats in warm weather is dangerous, and you can receive serious burns or start a fire. Most modern vehicles have thermal shut offs in place as was already mentioned. Don't run your heated seats in the summer – ever.

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol some of you guys replies are comical. I don't have the leather but instead have the cloth seats and have ONLY the heated seats, no ventilated seats. The seats are not getting hot. They barely get warm. It's not turning off because of ther outside temperature, that has nothing to do with it. The drivers side stays on fine but as I mentioned it gets warm at best. The passenger side doesn't even get warm it just turns back offrom after a few minutes. We've tried this with someone in the seat and without someone in the seat and get the same results. If it was in fact something to do with the outside temp, wouldn't the driver seat turn off too?? So therefore there is definitely a fault somewhere within the passenger side. I've opened a case with Ram and will see how they tell me to proceed.

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also I've performed this test first thing in the morning when it's 70ish degrees as well as mid afternoon when it's 90ish degrees...same results.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sucks.. hopefully you get it resolved...

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm hoping. My dealer is willing to help. Theyou just need direction as well since there's no error codes or anything showing up as wrong on the computer

Yak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2018 1500 Sport with the leather seat upgrade and my heated/cooled seats don't get very warm or cool. I feel the effect, but it's nowhere near as dramatic a change as my wife's 2010 Ford Fusion leather seats with heating. I just wrote it off as being deadened by the leather or the system bring weaker than in other brands.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My complaint isn't that the seats don't get very warm. It's the fact that the passenger side does not stay on longer than 3 or 4 minutes. The service guy tried to tell me that's normal. But again, if it's normal, why does the drivers seat stay on like they're supposed to?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 CC 4x4 Longhorn Offroad
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a Laramie with heated and cooled seats. they work properly, but I think both functions suck. barely get hot or cool

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya. My previous trucks the seats definitely got warm enough. I'm guessing they changed the settings or something on the 18s. But that still doesn't explain why mine turn off after the few minutes.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Lol some of you guys replies are comical. I don't have the leather but instead have the cloth seats and have ONLY the heated seats, no ventilated seats. The seats are not getting hot. They barely get warm. It's not turning off because of ther outside temperature, that has nothing to do with it. The drivers side stays on fine but as I mentioned it gets warm at best. The passenger side doesn't even get warm it just turns back offrom after a few minutes. We've tried this with someone in the seat and without someone in the seat and get the same results. If it was in fact something to do with the outside temp, wouldn't the driver seat turn off too?? So therefore there is definitely a fault somewhere within the passenger side. I've opened a case with Ram and will see how they tell me to proceed.

You need to try it on a hot day at noon. Thats when the gremlins go to lunch so you'll catch them off guard....:D

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
When you say it cuts off after 3-4 minutes does it ever come back on? Does it kick the switch off?

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you say it cuts off after 3-4 minutes does it ever come back on? Does it kick the switch off?
It cycles from high to low after about 2 minutes then turns completely off after about another minute. I can turn it right back on but it just repeats the cycle