Starting my 1999 Ram after a year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDSram70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Found the time to start working on my 1999 RAM Laramie 2wd, 8 cyld, 5.2. I have not started it in 10 months....any advise to prep this event??

Reactions: Mop

Silver Goose

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Larame Longhorn
Engine
Cummings 6.7 Diesel
I have a similar problem in that my 1998 Ram 5.2 has not been started in about a year.

My process to start is going to be to:

Check oil level and the radiator.
Check the battery level and connections
Make damn sure no mice and/or other rodents have made a nest.
I think I will bump the starter a few times to move the oil and
to show some oil pressure prior to startup.

That will be my outline, you may have a better idea if so share it.

Larry

Reactions: Mop

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Definitely check or change fluids beforehand, and be sure the fuel hasn't gummed up. Check wires and plugs for connection, and build-up. I wouldn't rev it, just let it run, and loosen up naturally.
Afterwards, I would check any hoses, gaskets, etc. to be sure they haven't dry rotted, and are road-worthy. She should purr like a kitten!

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've had a few such occasions with various vehicles. I personally like to disable fuel and ignition and whirl the engine for a few seconds to 1. Get it loose and 2. Get the oil moving.

Never had issues, although it's not uncommon for OHV engines with hydraulic lifters to be a little noisy for the first several seconds or so.