Starting w/ Block heater Plugged in?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerickE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Gasser
Any time it drops below freezing, I use the block heater if I have to park outside for some reason. Just that much easier on the vehicle. I have never for a second worried about whether the block heater was unplugged. That had nothing to do with why yours failed. Most common failure is the cord or plug, check it for continuity before going to the trouble of replacing the block heater itself..
I ran a block heater on my former 2002 ford explorer with the little 4.0 V6 :D

Had a few buddies that were like....why the hell are you doing that?! I said......WHY THE HELL NOT!??! hah

It was like a 30 dollar part, popped in a freeze plug and then I set it up on a timer, and it was indeed in direct contact with the coolant. Set it up on timer from my garage to be on for 4 hours, off for 4 hours (or maybe it was 6 and 6, I forget) so it wouldnt burn out the block heater. It was nice when I went out in the -14 degree snow and wind (it was a nasty winter that year) and it started up a little easier than it was without it.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I ran a block heater on my former 2002 ford explorer with the little 4.0 V6 :D

Had a few buddies that were like....why the hell are you doing that?! I said......WHY THE HELL NOT!??! hah

It was like a 30 dollar part, popped in a freeze plug and then I set it up on a timer, and it was indeed in direct contact with the coolant. Set it up on timer from my garage to be on for 4 hours, off for 4 hours (or maybe it was 6 and 6, I forget) so it wouldnt burn out the block heater. It was nice when I went out in the -14 degree snow and wind (it was a nasty winter that year) and it started up a little easier than it was without it.
I hear you. Also really nice to get warm air immediately. They are only 750 watts so really don't use much electricity. With the block heater and in car warmer, truck starts easy, windows are clear of ice and frost so no scraping, seats are warmish and you can just start and drive.

OP
OP
D

dashbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Well thanks for all the input. Maybe I just got u lucky but I'll continue not to worry much about it.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Remember, cold to them is like 55. God help you if youre in california and it drops to 50.

62* here this morning and mine has been plugged in all night. I even use it in the summer when convenient to do it. Theres never a situation where it isn't better to start an engine closer to operating temperature than farther from it.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Choup -That is quite interesting. Never heard of anyone doing that, but hard to argue with your logic.

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Wait a minute, Florida and Louisiana are using block heaters??? What do you do when it gets cold?:33:
A few years back my battalion went to Florida for a 3 week training exercise in February. Crossed the Fl/Ga line, read the "Welcome to the Sunshine State!" sign, and the sun immediately dissapeared. Didn't see it again until we headed home. Overnight temps were in the teens. It was warmer back home in Wisconsin that entire time.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i use a block heater and a battery tender and remote start it plugged in every time i need the truck. the wife's had neither and her car wouldn't start for several days.it was locked up till the temps rose to close to freezing.it was hovering around -35c for weeks.we have the Tesla now and as long as it's plugged in ,no issues anymore.FYI.you can buy an extension cord that is specifically for block heaters.it flashes red/blue so you can't forget to unplug it. i drape it over my drivers mirror.