Starts then dies right after

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Ten to one these vendors know this part is defective by now, but they are still selling them. Should have pulled them and returned them to maker. How many guys are going to end up with a big bill to fix a simple filter issue.

I would be reporting your vendor to Amazon, doing a negative vendor review, and writing a really clear product review outing them as knock offs and defective.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It's amazing how many people order fuel filters from amazon trying to save a dollar or two after spending $50k - $60k+ on a truck. :crazy:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
It's amazing how many people order fuel filters from amazon trying to save a dollar or two after spending $50k - $60k+ on a truck. :crazy:

In my father's case he was not even saving alot. I think it was only $3 less! That's why when I told him he got a counterfeit/ defective filter he couldn't believe it. Atleast until I screwed on the authentic filter and it fired right up!
I really think I'm going to go with the new Black Market Performance option and use the CAT filter.

OP
OP

18 Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yeah I wasn’t looking too much into the saving part as much as to how convenient it is to just have them show up to your door instead of heading in town and since I was already ordering part for my trans fluid replacement I figured I’d order the water separator. That cat filter looks like a great idea I use cat filters for my oil filter if you do purchase that definitely let me know how you like it.
In my father's case he was not even saving alot. I think it was only $3 less! That's why when I told him he got a counterfeit/ defective filter he couldn't believe it. Atleast until I screwed on the authentic filter and it fired right up!
I really think I'm going to go with the new Black Market Performance option and use the CAT filter.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You know, I get really tired of reading this type of inane comment. Just because you spent 60 grand on a pickup does not mean it makes sense to pee away dollars everywhere else. The cost of fuel, insurance, repairs and maintenance over 200k miles will cost you way more than the price of the truck. At 14 mpg and 4 bucks a gallon, fuel alone is 57,000. The initial purchase price is just the beginning. It makes perfect sense to save money everywhere you can or how do you pay for the next pickup you need. There is a balance between keeping a vehicle properly maintained and over spending for no net increase in miles you can run. Why have aftermarket oil filters proliferated by providing better filters at half the cost of OEM, and that is just one small example.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You know, I get really tired of reading this type of inane comment. Just because you spent 60 grand on a pickup does not mean it makes sense to pee away dollars everywhere else. The cost of fuel, insurance, repairs and maintenance over 200k miles will cost you way more than the price of the truck. At 14 mpg and 4 bucks a gallon, fuel alone is 57,000. The initial purchase price is just the beginning. It makes perfect sense to save money everywhere you can or how do you pay for the next pickup you need. There is a balance between keeping a vehicle properly maintained and over spending for no net increase in miles you can run. Why have aftermarket oil filters proliferated by providing better filters at half the cost of OEM, and that is just one small example.
Really? How much $$ is saved after buying a knock-off filter, paying for shipping, all the aggravation, then having to replace it when the truck doesn't start?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Really? How much $$ is saved after buying a knock-off filter, paying for shipping, all the aggravation, then having to replace it when the truck doesn't start?
You are intentionally missing the point I was making and you know it. No one would recommend buying a defective filter and neither did I. What I said is, I can buy top notch oil, fuel and other filters, as well as a ton of aftermarket parts that are superior to OEM and cost far less. Buy from the right place and the right non-OEM parts and you can save a significant amount over the life of the vehicle. Is that sufficiently clear for you?

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
If you can post these 2 pics. This is an authentic filter. Compare the depth of the plastic piece. But also look at the printing of the Recycle symbol. Does it look "off" in comparison? Also did you get your filter from a seller on Amazon? That's where the fakes (or defective)
have been coming from.
View attachment 514731
View attachment 514732
Really appreciate you sharing this knowledge and picture. Will be doing my filters soon and knowing what to look for with this counterfeit issue is good to know. Thanks again!

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I got a set of counterfeit from Amazon the seller was Woot. I didn’t use them getting money back. The whole reason I buy OEM filters is to avoid issues and damage to the system. First two pics I took. The third pic I got online as I didn’t have the knockoff anymore. I bought the oil filter, water sep, and fuel filter deal on Amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_6188.jpeg
    IMG_6188.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6189.jpeg
    IMG_6189.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6221.png
    IMG_6221.png
    477.5 KB · Views: 2