Statistics on 5.7L Hemi cam failure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Forest crumpler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Has anyone performed a statistical analysis on these failures? Is there a common factor such as what factory or shift the engines came from?
serial number ranges? Outside suppliers of cams or lifters? Phases of the moon perhaps?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I only know we will never get accurate numbers. FCA says no issue, but every single mechanic on the planet knows about hemi and cams. Plus it happens here weekly, so there is that. The other ram forum did one thing right, document it, you can find the thread if you like. The issue is 4 gens any year, my guess is this hasn't been solved with 5 gens, time will tell. Now, this forum had attacked it with lubrication knowledge, and one potential answer to this issue MAY be molybdenum. At one point 6 cam fails in a row all non moly oils. Now, clearly this isn't proof, and plenty of moly'd oils have had fails as well. But consider this, when fca had input on a hemi specific oil, they made it with 260ppm moly, that would be PUP/SRT 0w40. So fca's answer to hemi tick, thick oil with high moly. I know it is kinda common sense, but the gov't doesn't like common sense, so their is a lubrication battle going on. Each guy should learn and make his own choices.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Has anyone performed a statistical analysis on these failures? Is there a common factor such as what factory or shift the engines came from?
serial number ranges? Outside suppliers of cams or lifters? Phases of the moon perhaps?
Its alot more then guys say. Guys on here always say cam and lifter issues are not that common. That we only hear of them because guys complain on here. Well go to the dealer and try and get a set of lifters. Bet there on back order. Not only that I bet there are plenty of Rams on here that have the issue but dont know. For the ones that let someone else change their oil they will never know until its to late. My lifters have been acting up for over a year now. Still no check engine light. Runs pretty strong. But every once and a while I get metal in my oil. Some ticking at start up. And my valve train is just noisey. I am buying parts one at a time when I get the money. I should be doing a cam swap by January.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
The statistics are part of independent research

Last edited:

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Too long of OCI, extended warm idle times, driving a 400hp engine like a grocery getter.

CoastyAV8R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4x4, 5.7, 3.92 gearing
So what oil viscosity and brand types are best for keep the cam beast at bay? Any opinion if the MDS system has an effect on cam wear?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So what oil viscosity and brand types are best for keep the cam beast at bay? Any opinion if the MDS system has an effect on cam wear?

Redline 5w30 has killed the most ticks on the forum, I don't think anything even comes close. It is actual science behind it, it has nothing to do with brand. Some formulas with the same science also have decent results, meaning it really is about science. Moly treatments have had some success as well as formulas such as 0w40 PUP, similar science and viscosity have decent results. It often takes 500-1700 miles for the tick to disappear, which also follows the science. Do you have hemi tick? If so always rule out mani bolts first.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I only know we will never get accurate numbers. FCA says no issue, but every single mechanic on the planet knows about hemi and cams. Plus it happens here weekly, so there is that. The other ram forum did one thing right, document it, you can find the thread if you like. The issue is 4 gens any year, my guess is this hasn't been solved with 5 gens, time will tell. Now, this forum had attacked it with lubrication knowledge, and one potential answer to this issue MAY be molybdenum. At one point 6 cam fails in a row all non moly oils. Now, clearly this isn't proof, and plenty of moly'd oils have had fails as well. But consider this, when fca had input on a hemi specific oil, they made it with 260ppm moly, that would be PUP/SRT 0w40. So fca's answer to hemi tick, thick oil with high moly. I know it is kinda common sense, but the gov't doesn't like common sense, so their is a lubrication battle going on. Each guy should learn and make his own choices.
me **** hearing a lifter 59,300 on it sure hope they well fix it ? but ya there doing all kinds of things so hope my power tran covers it all as they sad had them make sure it was on mine said yes aftere a long trip tought bad gas filled up shell still bad my extra warrity ran out a week later a death code cam up soooo sucks broke and a ram looks new and this are u kidding me I did read about 27 percent now wow right ! 2011 worse

Chris Hoell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well Add me to the list. Lifter bearing failure resulting in Cam lobe wear and MDS lifter failure. On cyllinder 1 and 8 respectively. First the service manager tells me I need a new engine. So, I say ok, I have the chrysler lifetime added care plus warranty, it's covered. He says he called chrysler and it's not covered. So, I proceed to read to him right from the contract. "Gasoline Engine: Cylinder block and all internal parts; Cylinder head assemblies. etc...." He says he has to call them back. Calls me back and says they need to send an Inspector. My guess is Chrysler is questioning his call on the New Engine and will attempt to repair with parts. more to come...
134000 miles have been using full synthetic every 4000 since the first oil change.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well Add me to the list. Lifter bearing failure resulting in Cam lobe wear and MDS lifter failure. On cyllinder 1 and 8 respectively. First the service manager tells me I need a new engine. So, I say ok, I have the chrysler lifetime added care plus warranty, it's covered. He says he called chrysler and it's not covered. So, I proceed to read to him right from the contract. "Gasoline Engine: Cylinder block and all internal parts; Cylinder head assemblies. etc...." He says he has to call them back. Calls me back and says they need to send an Inspector. My guess is Chrysler is questioning his call on the New Engine and will attempt to repair with parts. more to come...
134000 miles have been using full synthetic every 4000 since the first oil change.

Which full synthetic?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Hello Chris,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent experiences and understand your frustration associated. If you would like us to take a further look into this from our end, please reach out to us privately with your VIN.
Laura
RamCares

mnchopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2009 gen 4 with 230,000 miles on it and have a very light tic but not always sometimes it goes away after driving a while I am thinking maybe broken exhaust bolts hopefully, they have broken once already and I replaced them. Has any one done a survey on what years have the most failures ?

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2009 gen 4 with 230,000 miles on it and have a very light tic but not always sometimes it goes away after driving a while I am thinking maybe broken exhaust bolts hopefully, they have broken once already and I replaced them. Has any one done a survey on what years have the most failures ?
Impressive mileage! Broken exhaust bolts sound quiets down within a minute. The worst year, according to data collected on another forum is 2011.

mnchopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Impressive mileage! Broken exhaust bolts sound quiets down within a minute. The worst year, according to data collected on another forum is 2011.
Thanks NOV87 the last time the bolts broke was at about12000 four were broke and when it warmed up it would quiet down but never stop, hoping the same thing this time so it will wait for spring to cold to do it now, But looking at the cam problems on line is making me think twice if I want to take a chance with another Dodge I have read elsewhere of people having cam failure but warr replacing engine,

johnwayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 slt
Engine
Mine crapped at 166000km. Oil changed every 4000km with penzoil ultra platinum. Poster child for preventative maintaince that I am I am in shock still. Cost $7000 here in canada

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
extended warm idle times

This is pure speculation, I live in Northern Canada, we idle at -40 for hours every days during winter months. So if that was true you'd would see a ton of failures and no one wanting to own Rams.