Stay Away from a 2012? What Do I need to Know about this year?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jljbtm

Reaction score
I like the 2 tone colors too. e3d19eacb1780b65d43ce9c2ac100d6b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Just stay away from my '12... It runs great and is a beast. I ain't sellin' it any time soon!

I did a lot of researching before giving up my '98 RAM 2500... Knew I wanted another 2500, preferably a big-block CTD. I found I wanted a pre-'13 since I didn't want to deal with even MORE bull****e computer crap and the cow **** tank. I found my '12 on CarFax, it checked off every one of my boxes, it's now in my driveway. CarFax missed a few things that I found after the sale but I'm still as pleased with my decision to buy it.

So to answer your question, do your due diligence before buying any used vehicle but don't worry about '12's being problem children.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The research and reading I've done indicates that the dreaded lifter/cam issues aren't as common as they may seem.

Online forums tend to have a negative bias b/c lost of people will come to seek help with a problem or to complain, but when everything is running just fine nobody says a word.

For every truck with lifter/cam issues figure there are a hundred more that never gave their owners a speck of trouble.

That's not to say it won't happen to you, but the odds of it happening are lower than just reading forums will lead you to believe.

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2012 with 234,000 miles on it.
Only issue was the cam/lifter issue at 154k.
Been running great since.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bought mine certified used at 38k. Now have 120k. Transmission problem at 60k covered under warranty. Broken manifold bolt at 80k covered under warranty. No other repairs other than a new battery. Pull my 8,500lb trailer every chance I get!

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Goin to look at a 2012 1500 Longhorn Crew Cab Hemi 4x4 tomorrow. Has 44.000 One Owner Miles and looks really clean.

Seemed to me I read somewhere on here to stay away from the 2012 model for some reason.
Do I need to concern myself, or what should I look for?

Other than the antique radio, and the 6 spd with floor shifter everything else looks pretty much like the 13-18 models. Please share your thoughts? Thanks

View attachment 174067
My friend has a 2012 Tradesman/Outdoorsman with the 5.7. He has 90k miles. I don't remember the exact mileage of each issue but he has had:

Rear end failure
Cylinder 5 misfire leading to a brand new engine
Transmission went out soon after he bought it
Cam failure

Important to note that he had the lifetime unlimited mileage bumper to bumper warrantee that FCA was offering that year so these repairs cost very little compared to what they would've. I have a 3rd gen (2007) with the hemi and I've had no problems with it and I have 133k miles. Both trucks have towed the same amount of weight at the same time but neither tow often. Not sure if he bought a lemon but my 2007 seems more reliable than his 2012

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Sample size of one, but my '12 has had the following issues:

windshield wipers didn't work in delay when delivered. Fixed under warranty.
Cylinder misfire. Bad coil, fixed under warranty.

"step" button on steering wheel has to be pressed really hard to work. Haven't bothered to have it addressed.

Right at 50k miles, I have a Camaro SS for the nice weather and an employer provided vehicle for work.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think with the right group of people a case could be made to avoid any year. My 2011 was excellent compared to most of my trucks and wish I'd kept it. My 17' so far is a nightmare, but I know 3 people who have ones the same year that have been near perfect. Also. I definitely prefer the "antique" radio to the 8.4. It came with nicer climate controls and better sat. radio IMHO.

Last edited:

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did it go? Did you buy it?

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
2015 was a bad year because of the canbus system controls the electrical on the truck. Also I had a 2013 big horn it was a good running truck.

Just about everyone uses canbus these days. What are you referring to?

vichris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a '12 that I bought last year with 48k miles on it. It now has about 65k miles on it. The previous owner was an older rancher from SD that took impeccable care of it. All or most service and repairs at his local dealership. I've done the same but I haven't had all work done at the dealership. I have been thrilled with my 2012. I've done quite a bit of work to it to make it mine. I love taking care of it a keep it clean when I'm around town but IMHO a truck is a truck and If I need it to do some work,..... it's gonna do work. I spend a lot of time at our family cabin in northern New Mexico. The roads can get rough, muddy, and snowy. I've done a 2 inch lift and added a brush guard and winch. My 2012 has without a doubt been the best off-road vehicle Ive owned. So far my only issue is scraping the running boards. That's part of why I did the lift. I put Bilsteins on back and spacers up front to give me just a little more clearance. My next set of tires will give me all the clearance I need. Its a little over an hour highway drive to the cabin and the truck is a joy to ride in. I've hauled fence, lumber for repairs, wood for our wood stove, and various other things and the truck has been flawless. Even hauled out not 1, but 2 elk out of some rough country just this month. Get your 2012 and never look back.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 11 has been perfect so far. But I still have less than 50,000 miles on it.

Having the Engine, Rear end, AND Transmission go out at 90,000 miles, sounds rather suspicious to me. Is your friend a teenager also? 20 somethings aren't much better. I have a personal rule to NEVER buy anything from anyone under the age of 40. And 50 is better. A kid can tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet. Treat your stuff with a little mechanical sympathy, and it usually goes a long time.

Chris, I had pucks/spacer up front also..... for a while. Both front shocks eventually started leaking. Pucks put the shocks out of the range of motion they were designed to be in. Budget for some Bilsteins.

The worst thing about the '12 is they welded the front carrier. Gear changes got much, much more difficult. Personally, I'll never have a truck with anything taller than 3.92s. 4.10s are better still. And I don't care what kind of magical, whizz bang transmission you have, nor what it does at the dragstrip.

2015RAMGUY777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 2012 hemi with 105,000 miles on it and only issue was the manifold bolts. Good luck!