Steering Angle Sensor Signal Invalid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walt227

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone, thanks for having me. I'm in a jam and could use some help from the RAM gurus.

Change: I had new tires put on at Mavis. No alignment.
Issue 1: a few days later: Error messages: 4WD Unavailable, Service Electronic Stability Control. Issue goes away, then resurfaces a few weeks later and now it's constant vs intermittent.

Issue 2: the steering wheel looks to be cocked in the 11 o'clock position

I took it to the stealership, got yelled at by a service writer with beer all over his breath (we all like a couple of cold ones, but c'mon man). He told me it's probably an ABS issue but a simple alignment may fix it. So I said do an alignment. NO! Ok, why not? BECAUSE THATS NOT HOW DIAGNOSTICS WORK! I took my keys and left.

I had a local one-man shop recommended to me by a fellow car nut that I trust - he just hooked it up to the machine and is getting an error message "Steering Angle Sensor Signal Invalid". He's not sure how my steering wheel could be cocked in the 11 o'clock position and neither am I. We tried turning the wheel all the way to both lock positions, power cycling in between, but that didn't work. He's got it now trying to figure out the issue, but he's scratching his head like I am.

What could Mavis have done to cause this? Wheel speed sensor? But that doesnt explain the steering sensor. I belive all of these systems tie together (ABS light isn't on, but traction control is). My truck barely gets driven, and only by me. No potholes or lightening strikes that I know of.

I've got to leave for Atlanta in a few days and am in a pinch. Thanks in advance for your help!

Walt

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you sure Mavis didn't try to do an alignment, that particular tire shop usually demands to do an alignment on new tires? take it to another dealer they have the equipment to recalibrate the EPS.( electronic power steering)

OP
OP
W

walt227

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s possible they may have attempted an alignment, but I wasn’t charged for one. There’s another dealer on the other side of town - I’ll try them if my guy can’t get it to calibrate. Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
W

walt227

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s possible they may have attempted an alignment, but I wasn’t charged for one. There’s another dealer on the other side of town - I’ll try them if my guy can’t get it to calibrate. Thanks for the reply.
Confirmed with Mavis they didn't do an alignment. I was recommended to a local shop that thinks they should be able to straighten me out. Fingers crossed.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Any outcome to this situation? Kind of in the same boat