Steering Column Clicking?

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by RamIt22, Apr 29, 2012.

1. RamIt22

RamIt22 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    My 2012 express just clicked over 5600 miles the other day and when I was driving around yesterday I just started to hear this clicking sound coming from the steering column. Everytime I move the steering wheel even the slightest movement it clicks. Its never done this before. It doesn't seem to be affecting anything mechanically but its really annoying. Has anyone had this problem before?

2. Cthulhu

Cthulhu Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 5.9
    It kinda sounds like the splines aren't happy.. I noticed this in my 3500 shortly after buying it, that turning the wheel, and going over certain bumps, it made sound, and I could feel it in the wheel. 80,000km later, anything that I noticed back then, has either worked its way out of the truck, or I just don't notice it anymore. I was looking at putting a Borgeson steering shaft in, still might to tighten up the steering a bit, but its on the back burner right now with Child #2 showing up here shortly.

3. RamIt22

RamIt22 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    Its nothing I can feel in the wheel though. I drove the truck again today and it was worse then it was yesterday. I talked to a friend thats a mechanic at the dealership I bought it from and he was thinking it might be a clock spring.

4. JJP71584

JJP71584 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    mine does this too but usually doesn't bother me, curious to see what it is...sub'd!

5. Joshwaa

Joshwaa Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Check your plastics on the back of the steering wheel they maybe rubbing against the plastics on the column.

6. RamIt22

RamIt22 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    I am accually picking it up from my dealer when i get off work today. It turned out that it was the clock spring so they replaced that and said im good to go now.

7. I need to take mine in then. I have the same problem but I have better luck getting new truck then getting mine fixed

8. RamIt22

RamIt22 Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    I just dropped my truck off at my dealer again today for the same exact problem they just "fixed" hopefully they really fix it this time.