Steering Column Creaking Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThePreacher666

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all,

My truck just came out of a warranty repair, they replaced the front right axle shaft, put in a new differential, and did an alignment. Now my truck makes this creaking noise from the steering column when I turn the wheel. Any thoughts on what it could be? You'll start to hear it at the 7 second mark in the video below.

I also have another issue where the truck has a metallic grinding noise in 2WD over 45mph that completely disappears in 4WD. Could this be related? Greatly appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this situation.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
lol. you might want to put a link to this in your other thread. maybe related and more info to work with!

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Hey all,

My truck just came out of a warranty repair, they replaced the front right axle shaft, put in a new differential, and did an alignment. Now my truck makes this creaking noise from the steering column when I turn the wheel. Any thoughts on what it could be? You'll start to hear it at the 7 second mark in the video below.

I also have another issue where the truck has a metallic grinding noise in 2WD over 45mph that completely disappears in 4WD. Could this be related? Greatly appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this situation.

Sounds like that trucks been to Area 51 lololol

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
yeah it did have a B movie alien quality. it sounds like somethings rubbing. like plastic or rubber rubbing on something to me. do you have a buddy or family member who can turn the wheel while you get your head under the hood and by the wheel? at first blush, it sounds to me similar to a tire rubbing on a wheel well kind of sound.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i take that back. listening again its like something rotating without lubrication.

OP
OP
T

ThePreacher666

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I think you're right about rotating without lubrication. Is there a possibility they messed up the alignment somehow? I never had a single noise like this before the alignment the dealer did.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
that crossed my mind too. does it track ok at all speeds? no pull or vibration? i'm assuming the noise goes on through the whole turn..and i believe you said its only when you turn right? its pretty loud. i have to think an ear and eye under the front end while turning it is going to help you source the issue out

OP
OP
T

ThePreacher666

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a bit of clunky-ness in the steering when turning slightly left or right, and I noticed at highway speeds that a slight left or right turn would result in a vibration/feedback through the steering column. For what it is worth, when the dealer first did the repair they "forgot" to bolt the tie rod back to the knuckle and I drove around for two hours with my tie rods disconnected.......

OP
OP
T

ThePreacher666

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just went under the truck and had my girlfriend turn the wheel back and forth. Nothing creaked or squeaked, however I did notice on the right side that there was some grease/oil where the CV goes into the differntial and the hose clamp/rubber boot sits. That is the side they did work on though.

20190715_172025.jpg

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
you need a front end and differential expert i think. if it was me, i would not go back to that dealer until you have someone who is is clearly more qualified than that's dealerships yahoos to work on your stuff. i wouldn't have him fix it, but i'd have him spell out what the issue is..or..you can present his findings as well as a repair estimate to the dealership and tell them either fix it right or pay someone who can do a better job to fix it. the fact they forgot to bolt your tie rods is alarming. did they let the express oil change guy lose on your damn truck? i guess you can always see if @RamCares can help put a bit of pressure on this too.

OP
OP
T

ThePreacher666

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a mechanic shop I know that does good work, I am going to take it into them tomorrow and even if it costs a little bit to get a second opinion or have them point out what the issue is it will be worth it. Then I'll try to see if the dealer will make it right. I had none of these issues before I brought my truck in and they found it originally during an oil change. I feel like they completely messed up my truck and shoved me out the door with some lip service and it is just not right. My truck shouldn't leave a dealership with more issues, it should leave with less!!! That's a good idea, maybe @RamCares can help me get these issues resolved.

Link to original post in case anyone is curious the full story: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/dealership-warranty-repair-issues.145847/

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i think that's a good plan. i'm getting the sense you don't have another dealership in your area handy. that would be the other alternative and may end up being necessary if this one can't/ won't make it right but...failing that, yeah a 2nd opinion would be my plan.

OP
OP
T

ThePreacher666

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have several in my area actually. I'll try that first and see what they say. I am guessing they'll defend the other dealer but at least then I'll know I'll have to escalate it somehow.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
that hasn't been my experience. i've found they seem to operate independently of each other. no question they will look at what has been done but i think most dealers have experience with someone not getting satisfaction from another dealer. unless FCA denies any further warranty work, i think dealer to dealer, its fair game if a customer comes in and wants to get their warranty work done elsewhere. but...if you can get someone to check it out for an hour's rate that you trust, its probably worth it.

OP
OP
T

ThePreacher666

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's good to know! Thanks so much for the help. I'll post an update once I know a little more.

cryption

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 ORP
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hey my truck does this too, brand new truck - took it into the dealer and the wiring harness for the airbag was rubbing inside the steering column. They adjusted the position and it doesn't do it as much.

OP
OP
T

ThePreacher666

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is good info, I'll be sure next time someone looks at it that they check for that!

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
that would make sense too as going underneath the vehicle you didn't hear anything. that was a mystery to me.