STEERING COLUMN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THEYELLOWDODGE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Straight 6
Hey. I have a 1985 dodge d100. I want to put a tilt steering column in it. It is a console shift truck. I found a Column shift steering column. Can I use it and just take the shift handle off? Also someone told me that I can get a mid 80’s column out of a Chevy. Is this true?

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
OK i THINK .... IF I understand your question .. All of those answers are correct if your enough Mechanic to make it work.
I just put a tilt from a Dodge 1987 RAM cHARGER INTO MY 1988 D250 . It was honestly just plug & play... But it too has a shifter on the column .
... As far as the Chevy ...
OK Here's how im going to explain what I know about that ... Maybe some one will chime in who really knows for sure .
But most of the IDIDIT COLUMN & Flamming River columns made after market us GM plugs on them . SO That could be on way they are telling you to use a CHEVY COLUMN . & aLSO Back in the days there were like 1968 Chevy G10 Vans that had a straight column & 1 in a million was a tilt. You never find it today.
..... YOU said yours has a floor shifter .. SO ON My 1972 BRONCO with a 4 speed NP435 IN THE FLOOR . I installed a 1978 FORD P/U TILT Column ... But I cut the Automatic stuff off the column & covered the holes with Bondo .. Sanded it & painted it BLACK & I Have a slick column & a floor shifter .
I hope that entices someone else to step up & answer with more knowledge .