Steering issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JRam813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my steering in my 16 Sport. Out of the blue it is extremely hard to turn and is very stiff. I broke out the google machine and found that there was a steering recall for some trucks where the EPS gets contaminated and will be fixed by a dealer. Thinking that was my problem, I send it to the dealer. The dealer said no open recalls on my truck. They then state it is a problem with my "lift kit and tires" (Bils on the front, poly puck on the back with 35's) I have had them on for about three years now and have had no issues. They go on to state that they can not get an accurate reading because the stock equipment is not on it. They said my steering shaft is "rusty" and they want to start there at $285 and if that doesn't work they said to do the brakes. I asked what if neither works, do I get my money back (knowing full well I don't). Any common things I may be missing? I have such a hard time believing the Bils and tires out of the blue cause the issue.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
That shop is full of ****, pardon my French. An acute change like that did not come from a rusty shaft. I hate to ask, but did you check your power steering fluid and pump?

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
That sounds like the time I drove into les Schwab and brought up my death wabble and without even looking under the truck he told me I need to replace wheel bearings, upper and lower ball joints and my steering box. I gave him the finger and will never go back.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my steering in my 16 Sport. Out of the blue it is extremely hard to turn and is very stiff. I broke out the google machine and found that there was a steering recall for some trucks where the EPS gets contaminated and will be fixed by a dealer. Thinking that was my problem, I send it to the dealer. The dealer said no open recalls on my truck. They then state it is a problem with my "lift kit and tires" (Bils on the front, poly puck on the back with 35's) I have had them on for about three years now and have had no issues. They go on to state that they can not get an accurate reading because the stock equipment is not on it. They said my steering shaft is "rusty" and they want to start there at $285 and if that doesn't work they said to do the brakes. I asked what if neither works, do I get my money back (knowing full well I don't). Any common things I may be missing? I have such a hard time believing the Bils and tires out of the blue cause the issue.

Hey, JRam813. Although you have enlisted the help of your fellow forum members, our team is happy to look in to this further one our end as well. If you're interested, please send us a private message.

Kate
RamCares

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As stated saying it's your brakes is actually comical. When your sitting at a stop sign with your foot in the brake in any car can you turn the steering wheel? Yes you can so how are your brakes causing this? As I'm sure you are aware you have electric power steering. If they actually checked for DTC codes like they said and didn't find any you may want to check the connector as suggested and go from there. Saying your bilstein shocks make it impossible to check your steering because you don't have the stock parts is also BS. They are shocks!!! Are they saying you need to only use mopar shocks. If your not comfortable working on it yourself take it somewhere else and find someone whose not trying to just try to BS you and make excuses. It's most likely the steering box or connector.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
JRam813

JRam813

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That shop is full of ****, pardon my French. An acute change like that did not come from a rusty shaft. I hate to ask, but did you check your power steering fluid and pump?
I did. All good. I'm thinking the steering shaft needs attention.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

I did. All good. I'm thinking the steering shaft needs attention.

That's funny, but isn't your 2016 the same as my 2017? there is no pump or fluid, it's electric.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
That's funny, but isn't your 2016 the same as my 2017? there is no pump or fluid, it's electric.
Haha, guess I’m full of ****, I was thinking about the HD steering...that electric stuff I haven’t a clue about.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I'm a retired design and product engineer from the company that designs and manufactures the steering shafts for these trucks (and for many other companies).
Although I rarely worked on the Chrysler products, all of the intermediate shafts are made the same way with similar components.
I doubt that a "rusty" shaft will cause stiff steering. It would have to be very very rusty. You could do a visible inspection and unless it's a rusty mess, the universal joints should be fine.
Rust on the shaft portion or the splines won't cause stiff steering.
You could also remove the shaft and check the u-joints for movement manually. I would check the lower "knuckle" by removing the 2 attachment bolts and slide the upper shaft up and free the lower. (mark their orientation before you remove).
(The upper u-joint is in the cabin and should not be rusty).
Then work the joint and it should be free.
IF YOU REMOVE the parts make sure you use Loctite on the bolt threads when you re-assemble. Very important.
Also these shafts are 2 separate part numbers, upper and lower.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963