Steering rack upgrade? 2012 replaced 10x in 3 yrs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

antljonesjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought this problem off a buddy after he became irritated with replacing his steering rack like 6x the 1 1/2 yrs he had it.... then he upgraded to 2500 and I took his 1500 over. Within the 1st month I lost the front wheel drivers side 2x 1time at low speed causing only body damage and 2nd time at high speed 80 mph destroying the wheel and tire after rc steering knuckle failed at the caliper mount causing the caliper to Judi chop the axle shearing it off truck collapsed ontop of the American truxx vortex at162 wheel -76 offset and the brand new amp terrain attack m/t 35x13.5r24 tire it carried I assumed that he was dry steering the truck causing issues but after the rc failure incident when I got truck I was forced into stock 20s and wrapped with 35 in Ironmans and since I have now put 2 racks myself and going into 3rd now. I have seen the 2500 houses bigger rack and pump and seen video of rack being g possible to Install but the 1500 pump is far to weak so will the 2500 pump swap in the 1500 series so I can try to help fix this daughnting problem?

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Something definately sounds off…….

Its not a normal wear and tear part you read about Often……. But 3-10 times???

WTF type of driving you doing?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any better info? What lift height? What modifications have been done to the truck? Assuming 24x12 wide -76 wheels? That’s a lot of stress to begin with and could be exacerbating whatever underlying issue there is. Especially since you lost the wheel at the knuckle. Plus rough country isn’t the best company for high strength quality parts. Something is definitely off about this situation.

OP
OP
A

antljonesjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My apologies I forgot I posted this seeking help. But I have pulled the 24x13.5x35s and went to stock 20s on 37s which made ride quality 100x better but i ended up flushing power steering rack and so far alls been OK. On rack but I've found another issue as thundermug95 stated I've found my reason for blowing through struts too soon is from the strut spacers they look to be 3 or 4 inches which is ridiculous. And so lesson learned not to buy another's problem and too ensure if ever I buy another lifted truck to make sure it was lifted properly without spacers. Lifted struts with uppers to correct angular difference in lifting. I'll admit it is my first lifted truck and I was unaware at the many things that need to be done properly to ensure no issues later. It's kinda like how alot people will be in car audio, it's much much more than just speakers and amp, there is a science to it that's hidden behind the run of the mill mass produced lift kits. I fell victim to the high school kid mentality on it unfortunately but quick I did, correction, but quick I am learning. So many thanks and many apologies for not keeping up on the forum as I should especially when asking for guidance. But again thanks all to those who took their time to respond