Steering wheel and EVIC Cluster upgrade - HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim 11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Laramie 2500
Engine
I’ve read and re read the thread covering the proper wiring procedure with the pictures. I still can’t get any of my steering wheel buttons or horn to work. https://get.google.com/albumarchive...Ka247XLaGUNYyujI3Lfg0C3OcBoIh?feat=directlink

2011 Ram 1500 Originally a 4 gauge cluster, no button steering wheel.
Installed a ‘11 or ‘12? Steering wheel with EVIC buttons and Cruise but NO stereo controls.
Installed a ‘11 6 gauge Instrument cluster with 3.5” EVIC

Spliced the two wires on the back of the speedometer cluster.
Cut the two corresponding wires at the plug under the column.
Spliced into the ground and ground it to the metal dash frame.
Used AlfaOBD to turn on the remote steering wheel buttons. (Took many tries before it actually changed it to “set”)
Used AlfaOBD to set TPM to “premium” so the EVIC does show “ok” now instead of “0” on all tires.

I checked and rechecked my splices and connections. All should be good. (Although I haven’t checked continuity or voltage on the lines yet).
The horn will chirp when locking the doors. I can also sound the horn thru AlfaOBD, but no horn when pressing the horn like normal.

[Previous upgrades were adding the NAV stereo. It was plug and play no changes needed in AlfaOBD. Also added the upgraded rear view mirror. Microphone works, but nothing else seems to. Added power drivers seat. It was also plug and play]

OP
OP
Jim 11

Jim 11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Laramie 2500
Engine
Verified continuity on B+ line and Ground.
Verified voltage going to the wheel.

Still have no steering wheel button function. Cluster works, but can’t access the evic menu as the buttons don’t work.

Not sure how to check the Lin Bus wire to verify it, did do a continuity test on my splice. Is there another Lin Bus I can tap into to make it work?

what am I missing?

OP
OP
Jim 11

Jim 11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Laramie 2500
Engine
Also, can’t seem to find the AlfaOBD menu option to correct the mileage. The new cluster has significantly less miles and I need to update it to actual mileage.

OP
OP
Jim 11

Jim 11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Laramie 2500
Engine
After extensive searching and reading, I’m starting to wonder if I simply have the wrong year wheel? This is what I installed, can anyone confirm if this style wheel and switches will work in a 2011? Or am I stuck getting one with only EVIC controls and cruise still on the little stalk under the wheel?

AAEF382C-6EC9-49B5-ACC1-32684FF52A66.jpeg

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What year wheel is it? Pretty sure 2010-2012 are different then 2013+. 2010-12 trucks are in that gray area for doing some of these upgrades, much easier on 13+.

OP
OP
Jim 11

Jim 11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Laramie 2500
Engine
What year wheel is it? Pretty sure 2010-2012 are different then 2013+. 2010-12 trucks are in that gray area for doing some of these upgrades, much easier on 13+.
I was pretty sure it is off a 2012. That’s what the seller said anyway. I’m now starting to wonder if it is a newer one, but I thought the wiring plugs changed in 2013? So I’m not 100% certain.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was pretty sure it is off a 2012. That’s what the seller said anyway. I’m now starting to wonder if it is a newer one, but I thought the wiring plugs changed in 2013? So I’m not 100% certain.
That’s a 2012 wheel, and it won’t work on a 2009-2011.

OP
OP
Jim 11

Jim 11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Laramie 2500
Engine
That’s a 2012 wheel, and it won’t work on a 2009-2011.
That seems to be the case. I read in other threads that up to a 2012 would work, but real life experience says no.
I got smart and figured the basic owners manual would show that wheel if it was an option and it did not. The 2012 manual does. So I ordered a 2011 wheel with EVIC buttons. I guess I’m stuck with the midget Cruise stalk under the wheel instead of buttons on the wheel.

OP
OP
Jim 11

Jim 11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Laramie 2500
Engine
Pulling my hair at this point. I now have a correct 2011 wheel with the EVIC buttons and radio controls buttons. I have set Remote Steering Wheel Switches to ”set” using AlfaOBD. None of the buttons work and cruise won’t turn on anymore either.

The two wires have been cut and spliced correctly to the cluster and the third wire was grounded but not cut.

The Green/White wire from the Left plug connects to the 2nd wire on the harness below the steering column. It reads 11.87v with the key off and 14.3v when vehicle is running. The Red/White wire from the Right plug connects to the 3rd wire on the harness. It reads 12.82v with the key off and 9.5v running. The Grey/White wire, the 1st in the harness is tapped into but not cut, and grounded.

When the truck is started, the horn sounds and does not stop until the ground is removed and the truck is shut of and restarted. If I cut the 1st wire and ground it from the harness, no horn, buttons or cruise still.

OP
OP
Jim 11

Jim 11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Laramie 2500
Engine
Cruise does actually still work, but no EVIC or Radio button functions do. Also, one major issue is the horn sounds and doesn’t stop! I’m sure my neighbor were getting irritated with all the times I set it off trying to get it to work.

johndnn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7l
I do not see any replies to this post. I have the same problem and I was hoping someone would chime in with the answer. If you figured it out please be sure to share the results. Thank you, John

honestly anyone with any help would be awesome.
As for the mileage AlfaOBD will or is not able to correct in this truck. 09 - 12, i found someone local who was able to do this part for me.

Sking80

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
don’t know if it’s the same issue I was having but I had changed my wheel and clock spring to the heated upgrade and I put it all back together and my horn or buttons were not working anymore I went back and recheck all my connections the one on the bottom right of the wheel I think it was a black connector was not seated all the way. Pushed it in and everything started working for me. Hope it helps you or at least points in the right direction