Steering wheel change out

Discussion in 'Interior' started by MD2018, Nov 2, 2018.

1. MD2018

MD2018 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I got a 2018 express doesn't have radio controls on steering wheel. Has any one change theres to a steering wheel with controls. Is the wires to plug up the same

2. JOHRY

JOHRY Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    EcoDiesel 3.0
    I did mine on my 2015. It was quite easy. All the connections are already present. I borrowed a puller from an auto part store, but some had success just giving a firm yank.

3. WTM75

WTM75 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.6 Pentastar
    Everything is there and it is very easy, I did not even need the puller. Buy the special tool for the airbag, it makes taking the airbag out, a 30 sec job, not even exaggerating! Just be careful of the clock spring!!

4. kkreit01

kkreit01 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I want to do this sometime as well. A few forum sponsors sell the kit. One here:

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/ramaudwhlkit.html

Infotainment also has it.

Everyone says to "be careful of the clockspring". Can someone provide more info? Be careful, how? Does it move when removing the wheel?

5. WTM75

WTM75 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.6 Pentastar
    If the clock spring gets turned when you take the steering wheel off and put it back together, the truck will think it is in a skid. The way to “fix” it is to turn it all the way to one side and then count the revolutions to the other side, then set it to the middle. The problem is, apparently there is a small tab or ribbon or something that is in there that is easily broken. When it brakes, you will get an Airbag light, loose cruise control and all the functions of all other switches on you steering wheel....ask me how I know.

Other than the clock spring, actually changing the steering wheel is about 10 minutes start to finish. I took it off quite a few times trying to figure out the problem. Only that very first time did that clock spring ever move on me.

bruce219 likes this.
  6. magician

magician Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    You can put a screwdriver thru the slot in the wheel and thru a slot in the clock spring to hold it in place. The wheel will slide over it if its small enough going on and off. There’s a video out there somewhere that shows this. Most mechanics do it this way.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  7. kkreit01

kkreit01 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    ^ Thanks for the info on the clock spring. I did watch a youtube -- where someone put a small screwdriver in there. It still a little scary - knowing what "could" happen.

8. ps2012st

ps2012st Junior Member Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2012, 2018
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi, 3.6 Pentastar
    I just did this swap out on my 2018 Express with a 2017 Laramie wheel with leather and audio controls. No problem with the clockspring if you're careful pulling the wheel off and watching the wiring as you feed it through. I did end up using a puller from the parts store, but the most helpful tool for me was this Mopar Airbag wrench I found on Amazon. Popped the bag off in less than a minute and using your phone's front facing camera to see behind the wheel...and idea courtesy of MPGrimm2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073QWMHMP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love the new wheel and really dig the audio controls.

Mpgrimm2 likes this.
  9. awpratt

awpratt Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I added those to my existing steering wheel Ram accessories has a kit with switches and a new rear bezel, took about1.5 hours to complete.

Arnie