Steering wheel chatter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nprbob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
2019 Bighorn Crew Cab. Have had an ongoing issue with a chatter/grinding sound/feeling in the steering wheel on hard turns, primarily to the left. Very intermittent, but did happen once at the dealership to the RAM tech. They replaced the clock spring which solved the problem for a week before it returned. Again, it is intermittent so the last sever times back at the dealer they were not able to duplicate it. Anyone else had this problem?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello @nprbob, we would like to look into this matter on your behalf alongside a dealer appointment! Definitely sounds like a frustrating experience. Please send a private message our way with your vehicle's mileage to get started.

Hannah
Ram Cares

Cousin Cleotis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi nprbob, my 2019 limited does the same thing. kinda like rubbing on a washboard. Started about 8 months ago, very intermittent, mostly left turns but will do it turning right as well. does it most times at or after one full steering wheel rotation. Does not have to be a hard turn.

Katore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque
My 2021 Limited 1500 does the same thing. Started noticing it this week. Primarily hard turns it seems, but cannot yet consistently replicate the issue. It feels like it is chattering on the front right wheel. If I can get it to consistently replicate I'll take it in for service.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
My 19 Lonestar started this at about 18k. Right or left turn doesn’t matter. It’s about how quick I spin the steering wheel. It’s like a hydraulic flow restriction.

Mine is Rwd. Wondering if it is just a Rwd issue or if it applies to 4wd also.

Cousin Cleotis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My limited is a 4x4 and the problem is happening more frequently. Never paid attention to how fast I was turning the wheel, but will definitely be more aware of it now.