Steering wheel clicking. 2019 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My steering wheel started clicking when I turn it in my 2019 2500 ram with 3000 miles now.

It'll do it with the truck off and turning the wheel back and forth a little.

Ideas?

RamGF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I also have a 2019 Ram 2500 with ~8600 miles and the steering wheel started making a clicking noise too. It started shortly after the pandemic began?? Not sure exactly where the noise is coming from. Noise seems to telegraph down the steering column, but I think it is coming from the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I've crawled in there and it's definitely in the steering shaft at the base. There's a U joint there. I tried a little liquid wrench just to check if it effected it. It did not. (Used a small amount backed with a rag as to not get it everywhere. (I kinda like the smell, I work on classic cars haha).

Will need more research though. Might let the dealer mess with it as it only has 3k miles. But who has the time for that? Frustrating

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
My steering wheel started clicking when I turn it in my 2019 2500 ram with 3000 miles now.

It'll do it with the truck off and turning the wheel back and forth a little.

Ideas?

I also have a 2019 Ram 2500 with ~8600 miles and the steering wheel started making a clicking noise too. It started shortly after the pandemic began?? Not sure exactly where the noise is coming from. Noise seems to telegraph down the steering column, but I think it is coming from the wheel.

Hi @RBinNC & @RamGF - If you do decide to address this with your dealers, please be sure to follow up with us via private message. I would like to escalate your situations to a Case Manager which will provide the dealership and yourself with an individual who will review your concern, then assist you and the dealership in exhausting all available resources to have the concern addressed and resolved.

Mark
RamCares

rush2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I took my 2019 3500 in for this last week. Have over 9k miles and it seemed to start within the last few months or 1k miles. Of course they said they didn't feel, hear, or find anything. I only notice it at low speed in parking lots or when I'm making turns in the neighborhood, which I'm usually going 25mph or less. Happens every time I pull into driveway.

Please post if you or dealer finds something. I have no faith in my local dealer.

Sent from my LM-V50 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hi @RBinNC & @RamGF - If you do decide to address this with your dealers, please be sure to follow up with us via private message. I would like to escalate your situations to a Case Manager which will provide the dealership and yourself with an individual who will review your concern, then assist you and the dealership in exhausting all available resources to have the concern addressed and resolved.

Mark
RamCares

Thanks. I just dropped it off

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Update, my dealer took it apart and tried lubricating it and it did not fix it. They're going to order a new steering column and replace it in a week.

Bad news is that this is obviously a defect and in a matter of time it'll happen again, considering others are experiencing this.

RamGF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I need to go into the dealer service shop for a prepaid oil change and I will get them to look at my steering column too. I will post updates when I get feedback from them...

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Mine does it too. My shop didn’t find anything wrong. I just deal with it.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
It’s all fine and well to swap parts, but what was the issue?

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Welp, the clicking came back.

I don't know what the defect is but I'd like to.

rush2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
And mine is getting louder. Taking back to dealer.

Sent from my LM-V50 using Tapatalk

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don’t think the steering column has changed at all from the 4th gens. Even the steering wheel buttons are the same ones they’ve been using since like 2013ish.

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I'm honestly not sure what to do about it. I've had the whole column replaced and a week later it's doing it again. It's not a "big deal", but it's an annoyance. Just like the MDS vibration is an annoyance. Just like the no response when leaving work or my neighborhood and going up hill is an annoyance. Add it all up and some days I'm not sure I should've gone with a ram. But, no car is perfect. But my hard earned money spent perfectly for them.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Have someone turn the wheel while you inspect the universal joint under the dash by the floor board. Mine clicked a bit and after greasing it with a bit of wheel bearing grease, it’s a quiet as a church mouse.

Now, it wasn’t a loud click or anything I felt in th

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Have someone turn the wheel while you inspect the universal joint under the dash by the floor board. Mine clicked a bit and after greasing it with a bit of wheel bearing grease, it’s a quiet as a church mouse.

This click (if mine is like everyone else’s) you can feel. It’s ALMOST as bad as the turn signal stalk releasing and returning to center. I’ve even thought the two were related from time to time.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Mine was an audible click, nothing felt in the steering wheel.

OP
OP
R

RBinNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

I did that first before bringing it in. Didn't fix it. This is not a bit of a click. It's almost kinda like running your fingernail down a comb. Maybe a bad analogy but it's a steady click click click click click. Either direction.