Steering Wheel cracking -- AGAIN!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

striperseeker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After another winter here in the NE (Maryland) my heated steering wheel is once again cracking. Tiny, very symmetrical cracks about 2-3 mm in length at about 1100 position and about 5:30 position on the wheel. Truck has 29k miles on it. Ordered it January 2020, picked up March 15, 2020. First time it cracked was after the winter of 2020/21. Went round and round with dealer and their picture taking and submitting the claim to RAM. Finally replaced around March of 21. Went through this winter and sure enough, the same cracks (in different areas) appeared in late February. Dealer won't resubmit, they state it is from "outside forces." I asked what that meant, and I get crickets. Only 6.5k left on warranty and if this is happening twice in two years, definitely seems a design flaw. Took it to another dealer and they are more amicable and will submit package to RAM.
Anyone else have this issue?
TIA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
What do you do for a living? Could it be something in your hands that you are not washing off when you get in your car ? .. My buddies Ford had a steering wheel replaced 3 times a few years ago and it ended up being that a soap he was using at work after he washed his hands was enough after a few months to degrade his steering wheel ...

Hand sanitizer can actually ruin your leather steering wheels ....

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^My brothers in-law's wife was telling me one time that she put on hand sanitizer and was then wiping the excess on her leather wheel to kill the germs on it.

I laughed and told her to stop doing that. I am amazed at what people do without thinking it through.

I have not heard of an issue like this before. Mine has a heated leather wheel but I really don't use it since I park in a heated garage. Hope you get it figured out.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
^^^My brothers in-law's wife was telling me one time that she put on hand sanitizer and was then wiping the excess on her leather wheel to kill the germs on it.

I laughed and told her to stop doing that. I am amazed at what people do without thinking it through.

I have not heard of an issue like this before. Mine has a heated leather wheel but I really don't use it since I park in a heated garage. Hope you get it figured out.
Oh I still do this on my truck without thinking lol ....

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Never had any issues with my cars with leather steering wheels putting sanitizer on them. Not like I do it often but... If you do it every time you get in the car I could possibly see it being an issue but once in a while?

Maybe a Dodge steering wheel is cheap as heck then.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
After another winter here in the NE (Maryland) my heated steering wheel is once again cracking. Tiny, very symmetrical cracks about 2-3 mm in length at about 1100 position and about 5:30 position on the wheel. Truck has 29k miles on it. Ordered it January 2020, picked up March 15, 2020. First time it cracked was after the winter of 2020/21. Went round and round with dealer and their picture taking and submitting the claim to RAM. Finally replaced around March of 21. Went through this winter and sure enough, the same cracks (in different areas) appeared in late February. Dealer won't resubmit, they state it is from "outside forces." I asked what that meant, and I get crickets. Only 6.5k left on warranty and if this is happening twice in two years, definitely seems a design flaw. Took it to another dealer and they are more amicable and will submit package to RAM.
Anyone else have this issue?
TIA
@striperseeker, would you mind posting pics of this? I've been around 5th gen forums since before 5th gens were available, and this is the first thread I remember reading about anyone with cracked steering wheel issues. It's certainly not a common issue. There have been quite a few complaints about the leather wearing away prematurely. Which model Ram 1500 do you have? I have a black leather steering wheel from a 2020 Laramie I'd give you a great deal on if your claim gets denied.

OP
OP
S

striperseeker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
20220130_151811.jpg20220130_151759.jpg@striperseeker, would you mind posting pics of this? I've been around 5th gen forums since before 5th gens were available, and this is the first thread I remember reading about anyone with cracked steering wheel issues. It's certainly not a common issue. There have been quite a few complaints about the leather wearing away prematurely. Which model Ram 1500 do you have? I have a black leather steering wheel from a 2020 Laramie I'd give you a great deal on if your claim gets denied.
I have a 2020 Laramie. This steering wheel has only 10k on it. Got it April 2021. After this winter it cracked again.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Had my “ leather wheel” replaced under warranty at 12k and then it started peeling again at 28k. It’s not leather that’s for sure. Neither are the seats. At least not between 10&2. Mine pealed off like a sunburn. Warranty covers it and I got a loaner since they kept the truck for 2 days. I posted a picture a while back in 2020 and only had like 2 people have the same issue reply…

OP
OP
S

striperseeker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Death grip and twisting of hands will do that.
No from me. No death grip and it's not even in the spots I hold the wheel. If you look closely you'll see the stretching effect caused by the heat/cold. It's not rubbed.

OP
OP
S

striperseeker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had my “ leather wheel” replaced under warranty at 12k and then it started peeling again at 28k. It’s not leather that’s for sure. Neither are the seats. At least not between 10&2. Mine pealed off like a sunburn. Warranty covers it and I got a loaner since they kept the truck for 2 days. I posted a picture a while back in 2020 and only had like 2 people have the same issue reply…
Nice to hear it was covered. I'm thinking you are spot on - it's not leather. Leather would stretch and breath.

TRK_GANG74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The leather on my 2019 Laramie Longhorn heated steering wheel just started peeling a few weeks ago. Got the reply from the dealer that it’s going to be covered under warranty and should be here in 2 weeks hopefully without any delays. No fighting with the dealer or Ram to get this covered. It’s only peeling on the left side which is strange.

Attachments

• 2146421B-F710-44ED-8F6C-BEADA276BEFB.jpeg
    2146421B-F710-44ED-8F6C-BEADA276BEFB.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 13
  • A403E6CD-FBD9-498F-9594-646AA7959653.jpeg
    A403E6CD-FBD9-498F-9594-646AA7959653.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 13