Steering wheel off after alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Hey guys

Last week I had our local tire place replace my tires with Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT and they said my alignment was out, they check every car they put new tires on. I told them to make sure the steering wheel is straight because it bothers the heck out of me when its not. Well I get it back and its not, its few degrees to the right. So yesterday I made them redo it and they still cant get it straight. They gave me the print out and each time the markers are all in the center and green. Now they are telling me I need to bring it back next Monday because they want their advance tech to look at it, he was on vaca this week. Are these trucks that hard to get teh wheel straight after a alignment? My truck is a 2018 Ram 1500 Express, Hemi with 20" wheels. The truck drive straight, no wondering, just the steering wheel is off.

Thanks
Joe

Princeton_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like the "advanced tech" should have done the alignment in the first place. Those are some great tires, I run them 8 or 9 months out of the year.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Same thing happened to me last month. Called the shop as I was driving home, told them I would be bring it back first thing to get it sorted it out. They were good about it, got it right the second time.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Without actually looking at the #s we dont know this. But if I was a betting man I would say they didnt lock the steering wheel properly and who ever did the test drive is an idiot for not noticing.
I agree, I have gone through it many times. I warn them I am a n a l about my steering wheel being straight and will bring it back if it's not and it has still happened. Take it back and they get it right the second time most of the time. If not I will take it back till they get it right. Stop the getting things "within" specs and get it "in" specs the first time! Repeat work cost a lot of money. I guess maybe the majority of their customers are ok with crooked steering wheels and they get by with it.

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Without actually looking at the #s we dont know this. But if I was a betting man I would say they didnt lock the steering wheel properly and who ever did the test drive is an idiot for not noticing.
The second time they did, when he called me he said it was wrong still and they need to get the advance tech on it.

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I agree, I have gone through it many times. I warn them I am a n a l about my steering wheel being straight and will bring it back if it's not and it has still happened. Take it back and they get it right the second time most of the time. If not I will take it back till they get it right. Stop the getting things "within" specs and get it "in" specs the first time! Repeat work cost a lot of money. I guess maybe the majority of their customers are ok with crooked steering wheels and they get by with it.
Yea I am like you, I told them before they did it.

I was just making sure there is no gotcha since I have the electric steering like you need a scan tool or something.

heckcat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have them lock the steering wheel and set the toe first, then set camber and caster once they are done with the tie rods. I had this issue when I had my 1500 aligned after my lift recently, this fixed it on the second try.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Aren't they supposed to make sure the steering wheel is centered BEFORE taking any measurements or making adjustments?

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I give them the one more shot then I will get the money back and take it to the dealer to fix. Just sucks lately, just seems every shop around is under staff or filled with new people. I been going to this shop for years and they done a number of cars and suv for me and never had this issue.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Yup, agree, I ended up adjusting mine myself with a tape measure and manual alignment tool.

Tie rod adjustment was easy an did not require a big adjustment.

Given the wide range of adjustment, I have not seen any tire wear

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't get me started on alignment shops! My experience is they arent very good at getting the wheel perfectly straight because to do that really requires a road test and possibly several tweaking adjustments ...which take time that is hard to charge for. You probably had a 'beginner' doing it in the first place and they obviously didn't road-test it (a lot of shops don't).

Get the 'good' alignnment guy on it and ask him to road test your truck before you pick it up and you'll pay a little extra if need be to get the wheel 100% ON THE MONEY. Not 5% off kilter ...100%.

Getting the steering wheel 100% 'perfectly' straight going down the road is a finicky adjustment. More than most guys think. You have to accommodate for the crown in the road (different road conditions), different vehicle speeds, and other variables that machines don't always match. It really does take a road-test (usually multiple adjustments and multiple road tests) to prove it's 100% straight on a few different kinds of roads and speeds. Shops don't always want to do because it's difficult to recoup that time on a 'budget' alignment. It takes a good alignment guy who has that 'get it 100% right' mentality vs the tech who thinks 'close enough' is good. I always set my own vehicles' tow and have for many years.

Last edited:

Terry2014RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any wheel alignment starts with the steering wheel being centered and locked into that position, then the measurements are taken and adjustments made. Durring the alignment the wheel will need to be turned in both directions to see if the adjustments are good. Even when the wheel is straight on some roads it will be a little askew. I been to many shops for alignment and only once did get it rite the first visit. Really don't think these places Care much but I will go back and have them do it again for free.

ADWarlock20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've taken my 2020 Classic to two different local shops to get aligned a total of 4 times within a month. The first shop had both the alignment off and the steering wheel was not anywhere near straight. They told me the polite version of I was crazy and it was fine. The second shop was actually able to align it the first time, and had to straighten the wheel a little bit the second time. My wheel still is not perfectly straight, but it's close enough. Next year I'll fork out the extra money to to get it aligned at the dealer and hope they have better luck with it.

teammontana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here’s the thing, they check every vehicle for alignment because they can look you in the eye and tell you that the alignment is off and suggest you pay to get it fixed. Very seldom are they off enough to actually need adjustment, and shortly after, will actually need adjustment again. Save your money, watch your tires, and do the alignment if they start showing odd wear patterns.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Here’s the thing, they check every vehicle for alignment because they can look you in the eye and tell you that the alignment is off and suggest you pay to get it fixed. Very seldom are they off enough to actually need adjustment, and shortly after, will actually need adjustment again. Save your money, watch your tires, and do the alignment if they start showing odd wear patterns.
I agree, If my tires don't wear and my steering wheel is straight it will never get an alignment. Especially with today's "TECHS".

KJ-LongIsland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Had the same exact problem with my 2016. Brought it to a second shop...alignment was fine on the machine, wheel centered. But when driving the wheel would be "fighting me". Turned out the previous shop did not use the scan tool to reset the computer after aligning the car. The electric power steering was trying to compensate for the new wheel position.