Steering wheel off after alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I called the local ram dealership last week to make a appointment to get my 18 cc lb ram lined up as I just put new tires on it and it seemed to pull a lil bit right. I drop the vehicle off b4 they open and get a ride back after work , the dealership said we couldn't line up your truck . I asked why they said it's to long for the machine never called or anything. Now these jackwagons knew the length of the truck prior to making the appointment. They reccomended that I go next door to the Ford dealership to have the alignment. Make a appointment take it the Ford dealer , they line it up all seems OK, I asked the lady what was wrong with it and she had no idea. I pay the bill and leave go home and see she hit my credit card twice for the alignment. Guess I'll try and stop by or call my credit card company.
Honestly is everyone that incompetent anymore?

My dad was none happy either with the same ram dealership 1hour 15 minutes to change the oil with a appointment, they called the next day and asked him how the service was, he let them have it with both barrels for his truck and my alignment fiasco there. Sorry for the rant..
Hate to sound negative but incompetent I'm afraid is the new United States. 5 years till retirement but I'm looking forward to getting out of this new work force!

br427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Correct alignment will save your new tires. It’s kind of an ‘investment’ Best time for an alignment is with new tires. Ask for the print out when done… if they got lazy you will see it before you leave. Toe in/toe out used to be last but remember all alignments effect one another. Get that print out!!
Unfortunatly, the printouts can be easily falsified. All one has to do is move the Alignment Head a little on the Rim. Certainly unethical, but it's been done.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Set yer own toe... Quicker than 2x trips to the shop (if they ever manage to get your steering wheel straight).

Alignment Jig_email.jpg

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
When I was a Ford tech in ‘70’s & ‘80’s I knew guys that worked at tire dealers… they got commission for selling. Typically fast stuff like filters, struts, etc. They lied thru their teeth while filling their pockets. Oil change places now are the same. “Power oil flush” $145,” power flush coolant $175”. And thats reg oil not synthetic. Gotta do it yourself or take to a reputable guy or dealer… hopefully not a commission based facility

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
And do NOT forget tire pressures. Don’t expect the shop to check your tires. Do it yourself before you get there. Be sure tires are set to specs per door post decal or owners manual. And don’t forget specs are COLD tire pressures… driven typically under 5 miles then pressures increase up to 5 lbs or more.

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Well 3 times at the original shop and they could not fix the alignment and I could not drive my truck over 60MPH because the truck shook so bad. I finally took it to another Mavis shop and they first removed all the weights on my wheel and fix the balance of the tires, 2 wheels looked like they had a box of stick on weights on each wheel. Then they redid the alignment and now the wheel is straight and I can go highway speeds without issue. The majority of my roads around my you can only get to 60 before you risking a ticket so I need to go on a interstate to really test which it 10 miles from my house. I just never go back to the first shop again.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
So sad to see where our American work force is at and where it's going. I retire in 5 years, can't wait to get out of it! Where did American Pride go? I'm ashamed!

br427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't judge all commision paid Mechanics the same. Most are very ethical and only charge for what's really needed. I'd say only about 5% are the theives you speak of. I was a commision paid Mechanic for over 20 years and I can HONESTLY say that I never ripped anyone off.

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, what happened, Joe? I have the same issue.

Replaced four tires with Kumhos and I love them. When I took it in for alignment, they said I needed new lower ball joints (those were a mother to get out...ended up heating and using candle wax to lubricate while I whacked them out. Press wouldn't work). I replaced the ball joints and brought it back in.

I also replaced the steering wheel - and it was straight when I brought it in. I upgraded to the premium wheel along with cluster. We all know that's keyed and there's no way to have it go off kilter even in a minor way. Either it's straight, or upside down.

Visit #1. They aligned it, but I don't think it was right because it still pulled to the left on the freeway...and, my steering wheel was cocked to the left 1/2 - 3/4". Prior to the alignment, it was super sloppy - like 4" After the the alignment, it tightened right up to allowable specs.

Visit #2. He had a check waiting for me...this is a small town and I didn't want to accept it. I told him I'd do some checking first. He said they tried three times, and could not get it right. Still cocked to the left, and the alignment seems a bit better. I think.

Is there ANY possibility I could need a new rack? It's got 90k on it and I have seen where it's been needed before...maybe not for my situation...that's why I'm asking.

If I take it to another shop and they get it right, I'll go get the check. Thanks, fellas.

Maitai

maitai11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry Joe, I failed to see your answer...after reading all the replies, I'm going to a shop that only does alignments...then get my money back from the other place.

OP
OP
J

Joe Merchak

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
NP Maitai11

Good luck getting your truck fix. I am glad mine is as it really sucked going back and forth with them.

magman777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After reading through all these replies I have to throw my 2 cents in. I have a 2018 1500 also. After putting a heavy bumper on and wearing out some tires(lesson learned) I took it to a small local tire shop and had new tires put on and an alignment. When I went to pick it up the owner was messing with the steering wheel and had a computer hooked up. When I asked him what he was doing he said he was making sure the steering wheel was strait. Learned something else, with the electric steering the steering wheel has to be electronically adjusted. He informed me that most small shop won't spend the money ($10,000) for the computer for doing this properly. It may be that some of the shops mentioned here are not set up to do it properly??