Steering wheel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pparker74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably should have done my research first, however I scored a really nice steering wheel from eBay. Can anyone tell me if I can swap my 2020 classic steering wheel with a what I think maybe be a Longhorn classic steering wheel? In the attached pic, the top wheel is the style I have now the bottom pic is the one I got. The only thing that stands out is the airbag, they look different however they appear to be the same shape.

5F8A8EA1-0509-4964-BB71-21ED905A832B.jpeg

Last edited:

Mordechai

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably should have done my research first, however I scored a really nice steering wheel from eBay. Can anyone tell me if I can swap my 2020 classic steering wheel with a what I think maybe be a Longhorn classic steering wheel? In the attached pic, the top wheel is the style I have now the bottom pic is the one I got. The only thing that stands out is the airbag, they look different however they appear to be the same shape.

View attachment 219347
I was looking into this myself. There is going to be a considerable amount of work just creating an electrical harness due to different connectors/pinouts. Some buttons may not work as intended, or at all.

I believe the airbags will fit, just look out of place. I haven't not seen a wheel in person to test out with. Could be totally different.

I am not sure if there is a difference of spindle sizes between the years.

It is on my list of things to get when I can. I'm all for this mod. The furthest I got was visual research online, and checking out the harnesses to make sure that the majority of the connectors where there.

That wheel on the bottom is not a classic at all, and is from the 5th gen.

Also, there is another discussion regarding this. I'd suggest we use that one instead.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=17770&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I swaped out my 4th gen standard for a 4th gen limited and love it. You got a 5th Gen new configuration model not a 5th Gen standard model so I don't think that is going to work in your classic truck. The 2020 classics are an odd duck 5th gen model year 4th gen technology but probably with a twist so might not be totally backwards compatible with all the 4th gen years.

OP
OP
Pparker74

Pparker74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was looking into this myself. There is going to be a considerable amount of work just creating an electrical harness due to different connectors/pinouts. Some buttons may not work as intended, or at all.

I believe the airbags will fit, just look out of place. I haven't not seen a wheel in person to test out with. Could be totally different.

I am not sure if there is a difference of spindle sizes between the years.

It is on my list of things to get when I can. I'm all for this mod. The furthest I got was visual research online, and checking out the harnesses to make sure that the majority of the connectors where there.

That wheel on the bottom is not a classic at all, and is from the 5th gen.

Also, there is another discussion regarding this. I'd suggest we use that one instead.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=17770&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
I had seen that thread, I had no idea what I bought. Ty

OP
OP
Pparker74

Pparker74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I swaped out my 4th gen standard for a 4th gen limited and love it. You got a 5th Gen new configuration model not a 5th Gen standard model so I don't think that is going to work in your classic truck. The 2020 classics are an odd duck 5th gen model year 4th gen technology but probably with a twist so might not be totally backwards compatible with all the 4th gen years.
That makes sense that the wheel I bought is a 5th gen. Had the seller put that in the description I wouldn’t have bought it. I would really love to find a way to hook this wheel up, it’s really nice.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
That makes sense that the wheel I bought is a 5th gen. Had the seller put that in the description I wouldn’t have bought it. I would really love to find a way to hook this wheel up, it’s really nice.

¥ou can tell by the button configuration it's a 5th gen. On EBAY you have to be careful buying car parts most sellers just know the model year and nothing more only enthusiasts like us on the forum usually know or care about the fine details. I doubt in this case the seller knows the difference between classic 5th gen and actual 5th gen parts or even cares.

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Here is my SW it's a top of the line model from the limited trim level heated, audio controls wood and leather that i also got from EBAY. I have a cover on it for better grip and can't use the heated feature keep your eyes open for one of these for your 20 classic.

New Steering Wheel.jpg

OP
OP
Pparker74

Pparker74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is my SW it's a top of the line model from the limited trim level heated, audio controls wood and leather that i also got from EBAY. I have a cover on it for better grip and can't use the heated feature keep your eyes open for one of these for your 20 classic.

View attachment 219421
That’s really nice, I’m sure it will be impossible to find one of those. I’ll keep an eye out for one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963