Steering Wheel Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1983DodgeW150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Chrysler 318 LA
I bought a 1983 Dodge w150 with an aftermarket steering wheel that I don’t like and want to replace. I bought two different OEM steering wheels on eBay, but the spline count appears to be different than whats on my steering column. Online research shows there are two different styles of steering splines-one with a single spline, and another with two splines on top of one another. Does anyone know the differences between the steering columns and how they were installed at the factory based on the model of truck? Also, can I file some of the threads off in order to make it fit, or should I start looking for another steering column?

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
....OK I may be off on what I've read in your post.
. But .. ARE you saying one wheel just has all spline & The other has one location that has a double spline that's built together Forcing you to only put the wheel on one way.
....... On my 72 Ford Bronco with a 4BT cummins in it . I need a different steering box. But my Pitman arms were different .. Clocking them wrong. .
Well believe it or not . My Neighbor worked in a fab shop .. AS Their Special cnc man.
SO HE Just happened to be in my shop that night . & He said we have a machine at work I can cut those spline in it for you . He said it'll only take me about 10 minutes.
... He described that machine as a small copper wire that spins past the solid spline area.
As it passes over the solid metal it cuts a grove .. He could control the shape of that grove to make it a spline cut.
... . He took my part to work with him & Brought it bad . Fixed perfect the next night .
...SO If that's your issue then there is a machine out there that can cut that grove.
.. That shop is no longer in operation. & My Neighbor is a ward of the STATE .. GETTING A HIGHER EDUCATION. DANG That Young Man was so good to me ..
.... But his little girl friend kept him in trouble . ALL THE TIME.
WHAT A WAIST.
........ HOPE THAT HELPS YOU

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
Is it a tilt vs non-tilt difference? The tilt ones are basically a Chevy column...

OP
OP

1983DodgeW150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Chrysler 318 LA
So the upper/outer steering shaft has a 40 count spline rather than the 3/4” 36 count spline that seems to be more common. It’s a standard column with factory-installed cruise control. I’ll attach a picture of the spline to this post. I’m having a hard time finding a factory steering with the correct spline count. I’m considering looking for a replacement steering column if I can find one. Any thoughts?

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
Try www.car-part.com?

'83 will have wipers on the dash. By 89 they're on the column. Not sure what year they changed. When changing from tilt on my 84 to non-tilt ('90) I had to change the lower steering shaft due to length difference. Have not had any steering wheels off a column yet.