Steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bkennard318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2019 ram 1500 the steering wheel is literally breaking down(the outside of it) and I’m wondering does Ram have a recall on that to change the steering wheel out? Bc it’s really bad and my truck only has 50k miles on it

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2019 ram 1500 the steering wheel is literally breaking down(the outside of it) and I’m wondering does Ram have a recall on that to change the steering wheel out? Bc it’s really bad and my truck only has 50k miles on it
Pics would help when posting about a cosmetic issue. There have been some complaints about the leather not holding up on Laramie and Big Horn leather wrapped steering wheels. What trim level is your truck? Like @chopperman1 said, recalls are usually safety issues prompted by the NHTSA, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Steering wheels aren't that expensive to replace, even if you buy new from a dealership. I've bought a couple off ebay over the years. You might look there if you don't want to pay Mopar dealership prices.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I've got a 19' Classic with the standard non-leather/wrapped steering wheel.
In 3 years and 9 months of ownership I don't have breakdown, per se, but the spot where my left hand holds the wheel (like the 1-o'clock position) has worn pretty much all the textured finish, smooth.

Do you have any type of chemical exposure that you could have transferred from your hands or used a certain product that could have caused the deterioration (breaking down) you're indicating?

Gondul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For Cosmetic stuff RAMCares *may* offer you a 'discounted' price on getting the wheel replaced.
They did something similar when I complained about the wear on the seats in my Limited.

Grey23091

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I have a 2019 1500 Laramie with the beige and mountain brown interior. My steering is wearing terribly. I’ve exhausted my search for a steering wheel cover that matches the brown. Recently received samples from wheelskins and no match. I’ve attached a pic if anyone can help.

Attachments

• IMG_5485.jpeg
    IMG_5485.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 40

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had something similar happen to my 19 Laramie Longhorn steering wheel. The leather started wearing off at the 9 o’clock position. Dealer took pics and got a replacement approved under warranty with no fuss whatsoever. Since then no more peeling leather.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Propiority? Methinks your spell check took a dump. :cool:
I see you're the latest grammer cop.Little tidbit for you,most grammer cops eventually get the short end of the stick,and either work around their social issues,or end up leaving :waytogo: :Big Laugh:
There i fixed it for you,are you in your happy place now :Big Laugh:
Just giving you the heads up:cheers:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have one of the cheap $7.49 oversize steering wheel wraps that I bought at O'Reillys on my steering wheel, which keeps it newish and up to *****. Just a cheap way to save the wheel. Just works for dis BOIRD with friggin temps from 108-111F today.

ADDED: Got my brella shield up also trying to save on truck interior.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I see you're the latest grammer cop.Little tidbit for you,most grammer cops eventually get the short end of the stick,and either work around their social issues,or end up leaving :waytogo: :Big Laugh:
There i fixed it for you,are you in your happy place now :Big Laugh:
Just giving you the heads up:cheers:
Wild one, it was a joke. You know, little smiley face and what not. We've always gotten along here. What the deal?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wild one, it was a joke. You know, little smiley face and what not. We've always gotten along here. What the deal?
Sometimes you need to be quiet,and one of my pet peeves are guys who think they're grammer cops
BTW that's not a smiley face in my opinion;),now if you'd put up this one i might of let you slide:Big Laugh:
Just giving you the heads up,grammer cops usually don't go over big on here,if you can understand what's wrote,carry on,and keep quiet:cheers:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sometimes you need to be quiet,and one of my pet peeves are guys who think they're grammer cops
BTW that's not a smiley face in my opinion;),now if you'd put up this one i might of let you slide:Big Laugh:
Just giving you the heads up,grammer cops usually don't go over big on here,if you can understand what's wrote,carry on,and keep quiet:cheers:
BOIRD always uses whateva slang works, abbreviations, acronyms etc (I am FULL of acronyms, Military and Civilian), sometimes I lose PPL if I throw them in here so I try and dumb them down for like the non-military initiated.

ADDED: I think the US should be like Israel and Germany and make mandatory military service for all the kids coming up. Let them do 2 years in, and then maybe they will appreciate what so many have gone through, put up with, scarified like disabled vets, and the too many who have payed the ultimate price. I got 2 friends in the Vet Cemetery local, always a hard place to go to as my last wife also buried there.

Just all IMHO.....

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OK, good enough. Sorry I hurt your feelings.