Stereo swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rieggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Guys,

This is a bit of a strange swap question.

My wife has a 2016 Cherokee with the 8.4" display (pre-Car Play). She loves everything about her Cherokee except for the lack of Car Play.

I have a 2019 Ram Big Horn with the 8.4" display with Android Auto and Car Play integrated and she is jealous.

I would like to do the Tesla style swap in my truck. Does anyone know if the stereo in my truck would be plug and play into my wife's Cherokee? Or do I just go aftermarket or salvage yard upgrade for her car and sell my 8.4?

Thanks for any info.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m gonna say it will work. I’m no expert on Ram radios but when my 2018 8.4 radio delaminated the dealer put a refurbished 8.4 from a 2016 Compass in it. You may need the radio codes and AlfaOBD to program the soft button functions into your Ram if they don’t populate themselves after the swap.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey Guys,

This is a bit of a strange swap question.

My wife has a 2016 Cherokee with the 8.4" display (pre-Car Play). She loves everything about her Cherokee except for the lack of Car Play.

I have a 2019 Ram Big Horn with the 8.4" display with Android Auto and Car Play integrated and she is jealous.

I would like to do the Tesla style swap in my truck. Does anyone know if the stereo in my truck would be plug and play into my wife's Cherokee? Or do I just go aftermarket or salvage yard upgrade for her car and sell my 8.4?

Thanks for any info.
It will work but you may need more than just the radio to get it rlto work. I'd check the Jeep forums to see what they use to upgrade. I'm thinking you might need a different USB hub like you do with older Rams but I'm not sure on that...