Stick shift anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Something you should consider about dodge and stick shifts.

Read the factory warrantee. In it you will find an addendum for manual transmissions. It says - At no time is the clutch or any clutch components covered under the factory warrantee.

What that means - the clutch, the pressure plate, the flywheel, the pilot bushing, the hydraulic throw out bearing system, the clutch pedal itself are not covered the very moment you take delivery of the vehicle.

If you want a stick, buy anything but dodge unless it is used and already 4 years old.
No warranty on manual clutch systems is not unusual. My '89 Chevrolet had the same warranty exception. And although its not a truck, my daughter's WRX clutch components aren't warranted, either.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 70140miles

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
I test drove the trio and ended up buying a Camaro. The Challenger's stick was easily the worst feeling. It may be the shifter they use instead of the actual transmission, I don't know, but the factory Hurst in the Camaro was much better. The Mustang felt nice, but my understanding is it isn't as robust. The Mach 1 has a different transmission than the GT and is supposed to be better.
It seems your transmission assessment is on the shifter, not the transmission. Put a Barton or even a Hurst shifter in that same challenger and i suspect you would have bought it over the Camaro.

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
It seems your transmission assessment is on the shifter, not the transmission. Put a Barton or even a Hurst shifter in that same challenger and i suspect you would have bought it over the Camaro.

Maybe, but I'm just saying how they roll off the line. And I doubt it. The shift feel wasn't the only reason I went with the Camaro. It was a Golidlocks situation. Mustang was too small, Challenger was too big, Camaro was *juuuuust* right. At the time I couldn't afford the widebody, and all that weight made a real difference in how the car handled. Plus the HUD. I'm a sucker for a HUD. I'm also a sucker for a Shaker hood, but the Challenger didn't have that at the time, or at least none I found.

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
Maybe, but I'm just saying how they roll off the line. And I doubt it. The shift feel wasn't the only reason I went with the Camaro. It was a Golidlocks situation. Mustang was too small, Challenger was too big, Camaro was *juuuuust* right. At the time I couldn't afford the widebody, and all that weight made a real difference in how the car handled. Plus the HUD. I'm a sucker for a HUD. I'm also a sucker for a Shaker hood, but the Challenger didn't have that at the time, or at least none I found.
I can understand that. The important thing is that you got the car that was right for you. If it feels right get it.

Challengers and Chargers are built on the 300 platform. They are big and remind me of the big B and C-bodies. I was always an A-body kinda guy.

I am glad you found what would fit your needs and give you the performance you wanted.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Getrag MT-82 was designed in Germany, built in China. As you probably know, Getrag is an old, huge corporation. Building manual transmissions isn't rocket science. They got it all figured out a long time ago.

Years ago, there were some guys on the Mustang forums griping about the MT-82. But those guys complained about everything.

Second gear in my 2013 V6 Perf PAC was a little notchy at first. I have about 50,000 miles on the car now, and second gear has gotten much better. Third and fourth are very smooth and positive. 5th and 6th are good too, but the fun is usually over by that time.

The MT-82 is (hopefully under) rated at 375 pound feet of tq. I know a guy who broke a couple of them. Ford replaced the first one no charge. If you put enough boost on one end, and enough rubber on the other, things in the middle break.

The Shelbys got a T6060. I'd love to drive a T6060 someday.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I began driving standard stick vehicles on my Grandads farm around 1953, Farmall & Ford tractors, 1935 & '36 Ford bread trucks that had been converted to flatbeds.
The first vehicles that i owned were a Willys car & Henry J
In 1970 i went to work in road construction, we had several Ford 5 & 2 transmissions
In 1973 i was told to take a water tanker & continually spray water on some detours around some bridges that were washed out.
That was when i got my CDL, i was Grand Fathered in.
My Superintendent just signed the CDL test off.
Over the next 30 years, i drove 10, 12, 13, & 15 speed standard transmissions.

In 1970, My personal vehicle was a 1956 Chevy 1/2 ton , 3 on the tree, 6 cylinder
Engines got upgraded, transmissions were mostly standard shift, 3 speed, Muncie 21s & a 22, then 4 speed Saginaw , finally a beefed up Turbo 350
I sold that pickup with a 350 cu in with a Street & Strip Crower Cam, 350 turbo trans with a kit, & a Ford 330 rear differential, that was in 2009

The only thing that came close to a stick shift was the 2009 Dodge Ram with the automatic shifter on the floor console.
I could drive down what California calls Truck Trails, they twist & turn down into the canyons & around the hills & i had almost as much fun as when i drove the same roads on my Harley Trike
Even though it was drive by wire, it down shifted & accelerated very nicely & i never had to hunt for the shifter, my hand was on it except when the corners called for both hands to be on the wheel.

My 2016 is nothing like the 2009, i can't find the + - buttons on the wheel if the road is not straight :(

As far as racing goes, Nascar vehicles are 700 horse power & they are still Standard Stick, but the rear differentials sure are noisy now

I just get a special feeling, when i am driving a stick shift trans, i get a small grin on my face & my right foot starts tingling

Last edited:

Yarek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10 magnum
My RAM is automatic, but my little honda is manual. I feel like it's a great anti-theft device :) I'm blessed to be married to a lady who knows how to drive it, too :)

I do wish that my truck was manual, too. At least it has a V10 engine :)

Old Cop 66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not only can’t make change, try this on an “ educated “ 20’s something.
Next time you check in at Doctor office, and they ask your hegira, tell them you are five feet 13 inches!
Or if you are buying dry goods by the pound, tell them you want 3/4 pound.
Enjoy the chuckle, they have no clue!

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^Thats if they even show up for work.

Whatever you do, don't use your "Business Voice". They don't like that either.