Stick shift anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
All my trucks for many years had manual transmissions. But for towing an automatic transmission is far superior. Even with professional cross country tractor and trailer rig drivers the ones with rigs with automatic transmissions get 2-3 mpg better fuel economy. When these rigs get 6-9 mpg a savings of 2-3 mpg makes all the difference in the world.

Drag racers switched to automatic transmissions in the 1960's as they got faster times than the guys with manual transmissions. And every vehicle I have owned, cars and trucks, provided the ability to select the gear myself. I guess those that do not realize this have never bothered to read the vehicle's manual.

The only advantage of a manual transmission is to be able to use engine braking in off road situations and to be able to slip the clutch when "walking" a vehicle ups a grade with loose dirt or rocks where torque needs to be moderated. Even in this situation 99% of drivers would do better with an automatic transmission with grade control or hill assist or other machine assistance. Raptors and Power Wagons and similar trucks are marketed to such off-road novices.

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
I was going to say, I thought they ended the G56 in '18. I ended up with a '12 3500ST with the G56 when I was looking high and low for a 2500/3500 truck with a manual transmission. That's when I learned Ram was the only one left making a manual and that Ford had stopped their V10 gasser with the manual.

Someone hit the nail on the head when they said they want to actually drive the truck. I was new to the full size trucks when I got my first truck camper and shortly owned 2500 with the 5.7 hemi had plenty of power, it drove me crazy searching for a gear climbing through the Rockies. Once I made it to AZ I sold it in a heart beat and started my search for a manual. Five years later I still have my 3500 and am glad I tracked it down. Living in the mountains, I want to actually be able to drive and control the truck by activating the clutch and picking a gear
Something you should consider about dodge and stick shifts.

Read the factory warrantee. In it you will find an addendum for manual transmissions. It says - At no time is the clutch or any clutch components covered under the factory warrantee.

What that means - the clutch, the pressure plate, the flywheel, the pilot bushing, the hydraulic throw out bearing system, the clutch pedal itself are not covered the very moment you take delivery of the vehicle.

If you want a stick, buy anything but dodge unless it is used and already 4 years old.

Andersoncma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Shifting a manual transmission keeps me more engaged w my surroundings when I’m driving. I used to drive a 13 speed K-100 Kenworth, and now most semis have AT’s. With a manual trans in a semi, you are always listening to the engine, and always anticipating the slightest of grades. Is it no wonder there are more crashes involving semis now-a-days? Driving a semi w an automatic would be BORING, and of course out you right to sleep!!

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hard to text with a stick shift!!!! We have cars with beds! Wish we still had a choice, we can't even find CDL truck drivers who can drive a manual, we offer more pay if they can drive a manual. You ask, "Can you drive a manual" you hear "Duh, I usually keep mine in the glove box." Oh boy, going to be a short test drive! Never thought I'd see it in my lifetime. Something most guys could do by 10 years old before, now grown men can't. I know...... times are different......... So. Lol
I learned to drive on a manual shift three on the tree. I can even drive a 10 speed, drove cross country another lifetime ago. What part of NC are you in? Are you hiring drivers? I've been thinking about getting my CDL, I could have grandfathered from my special chauffeur to a CDL, but at the time I didn't think I needed it. Boy, when you're young, you make stupid decisions.

'06 Ram 2500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2006 2500 4x4 is manual. I really like the manual transmission but not so much in Houston rush hour traffic. On the occasional times I take it in for maintenance I always get a few people asking if I want to sell it. With only 62K miles I will be holding on to it for a long time especially with the Carli Lift and upgraded '09 steering kit and two shock setup! I have a company vehicle and don't drive it that much.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are still standard transmission cars like the Hyundai Kona. It just that the computer does the shifting....:33:

7 speed dual clutch transmission on N-line and limited models.........

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There are still standard transmission cars like the Hyundai Kona. It just that the computer does the shifting....:33:

7 speed dual clutch transmission on N-line and limited models.........
You can still get 6 speed Challengers with a 5.7 or 6.4,but apparently the 6 speed Hellcat is no longer available as of this year.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Both 2012
Engine
Hemi 5.7 & Cummins 6.7
Hard to text with a stick shift!!!! We have cars with beds! Wish we still had a choice, we can't even find CDL truck drivers who can drive a manual, we offer more pay if they can drive a manual. You ask, "Can you drive a manual" you hear "Duh, I usually keep mine in the glove box." Oh boy, going to be a short test drive! Never thought I'd see it in my lifetime. Something most guys could do by 10 years old before, now grown men can't. I know...... times are different......... So. Lol
After 20 years of driving cdl my 15 year employer just bought me an 18 speed automated kw .... I know off topic sorry just sayin.... can't find a f##kin stick shift anymore

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
You can still get 6 speed Challengers with a 5.7 or 6.4,but apparently the 6 speed Hellcat is no longer available as of this year.

It's also kinda bad for a muscle car stick. Easily the worst feeling one of the GM/Ford/Mopar competitors. GM's 6 speed is still the bestest for standard issue, although I hear sexy sexy things about the Mach 1 Mustang's version as well. No way to try one out for me, unfortunately. Probably for the better, last thing I need is another sports car.

Native Texan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
All my trucks for many years had manual transmissions. But for towing an automatic transmission is far superior. Even with professional cross country tractor and trailer rig drivers the ones with rigs with automatic transmissions get 2-3 mpg better fuel economy. When these rigs get 6-9 mpg a savings of 2-3 mpg makes all the difference in the world.

Drag racers switched to automatic transmissions in the 1960's as they got faster times than the guys with manual transmissions. And every vehicle I have owned, cars and trucks, provided the ability to select the gear myself. I guess those that do not realize this have never bothered to read the vehicle's manual.

The only advantage of a manual transmission is to be able to use engine braking in off road situations and to be able to slip the clutch when "walking" a vehicle ups a grade with loose dirt or rocks where torque needs to be moderated. Even in this situation 99% of drivers would do better with an automatic transmission with grade control or hill assist or other machine assistance. Raptors and Power Wagons and similar trucks are marketed to such off-road novices.
I understand what you are saying. Not having been a tractor/trailer driver, I don't have any experience to discuss there. Yet, in our personal vehicles, I have had more experience. I know how to 'shift' an auto, but it gives zero pleasure to me and makes my driving less smooth. I enjoy the endless control that a manual gives me. For those that don't enjoy it, please enjoy your autos.

I have an 89 Jeep Cherokee, 4wd, 4.0 six that I was getting a consistent 25mpg with. Part of accomplishing this was dropping into neutral when I could coast. I am concerned that shifting into neutral 2-10 times every 10 miles is not healthy for some autos. So I don't when driving an auto.

TJ S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins diesel
With the automatic transmissions that you can shift manually nowadays, unless it's a classic why even bother with a clutch. A person can't shift faster than an automatic. They don't even offer a stick in the new Corvette.
No they don’t offer a manual transmission, but after getting going I don’t use a clutch, I listen and shift. Both my 26 year old daughter and my 35 year old son can drive a manual, and I still have a manual in my 1996 Dodge with the Cummins. I FAR prefer a manual. But I’m constantly amazed at how many people CAN’T drive one. I say leave only a vehicle with a manual transmission and they will figure it out, I did.

Daves Handy Hands

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8 Gas
I was going to say, I thought they ended the G56 in '18. I ended up with a '12 3500ST with the G56 when I was looking high and low for a 2500/3500 truck with a manual transmission. That's when I learned Ram was the only one left making a manual and that Ford had stopped their V10 gasser with the manual.

Someone hit the nail on the head when they said they want to actually drive the truck. I was new to the full size trucks when I got my first truck camper and shortly owned 2500 with the 5.7 hemi had plenty of power, it drove me crazy searching for a gear climbing through the Rockies. Once I made it to AZ I sold it in a heart beat and started my search for a manual. Five years later I still have my 3500 and am glad I tracked it down. Living in the mountains, I want to actually be able to drive and control the truck by activating the clutch and picking a gear
I recently experienced the same thing. It’s my first full-size truck - bought it last fall. So I’m in my 2015 2500 with 5.7L gasser (at full cargo & trailer weight capacities per the CAT scale) when towing my 9,500 lb travel trailer from Georgia to Idaho (& back) over a few mountains. I learned quickly to manually shift (using the + and - on the shift lever) as neither speed control nor flooring it would make it downshift to the gear I knew it needed to be in to keep my 60 mph speed up the mountain BEFORE it was already bogged down in too high of a gear while still at the bottom of the mountain. If most of the semi’s are AT, then that might explain why they got bogged down so quickly at the base of the mountains.

As a side note, I noticed my temp gauge climbing higher than the usual (207° To 210° I think) to maybe 225° to 230° with prolonged (3 to 5 minutes) uphill pull with the engine around 5000 rpm usually in 3rd gear managing to keep at least 55 mph (around 80° outside in Tennessee). (A joyful 5.3 to 9 mpg on the trip, depending on speeds of 77 mph to 60 mph, respectively, if anyone is curious.) Oil temp didn’t rise. Is that coolant temp rise to be expected under those conditions? I realize the engine must be producing a lot of heat at that satisfactory level of performance, given the loads. Oh, and I was only running regular at the time. I have since read up on the mid grade gas discussion, and the truck does run better on mid grade (no knock/hesitation at lower rpm’s when accelerating up Georgia hills with my 800 lbs of work tools/supplies).

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's also kinda bad for a muscle car stick. Easily the worst feeling one of the GM/Ford/Mopar competitors. GM's 6 speed is still the bestest for standard issue, although I hear sexy sexy things about the Mach 1 Mustang's version as well. No way to try one out for me, unfortunately. Probably for the better, last thing I need is another sports car.
Aren’t the manuals they’re using in the Challenger a Tremec? Can’t get much better than a Tremec in my experience. I don’t know about the manual in the Camaro but isn’t the manual in the mustang a Chinese piece of junk?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I was under the impression the Camaro and Challenger both used the TR6060,but i might be wrong as i'm not up on the Camaro as much as i should be.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Aren’t the manuals they’re using in the Challenger a Tremec? Can’t get much better than a Tremec in my experience. I don’t know about the manual in the Camaro but isn’t the manual in the mustang a Chinese piece of junk?

I test drove the trio and ended up buying a Camaro. The Challenger's stick was easily the worst feeling. It may be the shifter they use instead of the actual transmission, I don't know, but the factory Hurst in the Camaro was much better. The Mustang felt nice, but my understanding is it isn't as robust. The Mach 1 has a different transmission than the GT and is supposed to be better.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LOL, If you buy something that cost $4.53, hand them a $5 bill and 3 pennies and see what happens. Good luck at getting your 2 quarters back! Now I just tell them to keep the pennies, much easier!
No offense to young adults, but hand a young cashier a US half-dollar and watch them look at it like its foreign currency.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 70140miles

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
View attachment 493908
Nothing like rowing thru the gears. Last time I took my truck in for it’s annual safety inspection, the inspector opened the door, looked inside and had to go get the old guy in the shop to do the test drive as he was the only one there that knew how to drive a stick shift.
Manual transmissions have become the poor persons anti-theft device.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 70140miles