Sticking Tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NY_Sparky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I didn't find anything when I did a quick search.

My 2019 Laramie has the remote tailgate release on the fob, which I have actually found pretty handy at times. Worked great for the first 6 months, and then the weather turned to winter as it does in Western New York. Not surprisingly, in hindsight, the electrical actuated tailgate has become a problem.

The first time I use the tailgate in the day, it will not unlatch. As this has happened several times now, I have learned the combination to make it work - a quick shove in on the tailgate jars something free in the actuators, and then on the next press it will release, and work fine until it sits overnight.

This has all signs of moisture in the actuators freezing them up. So, two questions...

A) Has anyone else ran into this?
B) Is the only solution here to have the actuators replaced, and wait for the next set to start freezing up?

I'm not a big fan of going back to the dealer for simple things I can address myself, mostly because I don't trust the techs to give my truck the time and care I do when I work on things. In this case though, history tells me it's probably not something that will go away, and new actuators are probably only a temporary solution.

Appreciate any input,

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
The regular release on my tailgate does it from time-to-time even when it's above freezing. When ever the dealer checks it, it works fine for them. Then the next day, I have to push in slightly on the tailgate to get it to unlatch. Not sure what to do at this point.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I live in Maine and had my 2015 since 2016! No issues ! I wonder if opening the tailgate access panel and lubing the tail Gate connections might help ? All I can think of . Please Update what works for you !

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I live in Maine and had my 2015 since 2016! No issues ! I wonder if opening the tailgate access panel and lubing the tail Gate connections might help ? All I can think of . Please Update what works for you !

I believe he's referring to the new 5th gen tailgate with the push bottom release...all of my 4th gens have worked fine as well but this certainly sounds like a problem with that new style tailgate. I was curious about its reliability as well, also living in NY and likely to go up to a 5th gen in a few years.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
I have has to slam the heck out of tail gate since the day I picked it up or ajar will illuminate on the dash and disable the back up alert if I dont. you cannot shut easy like you should be be able to.

LaserMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've got the same issue from time to time with mine as well. Like you said, I just have to push it in slightly and it works right after. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet because I know it wont do it while they have it. I had a rental 2019 1500 one week for work and it did the same thing. I don't think cold weather is the cause, I believe its something with the actuator. I'm sure it'll turn into a recall or a TSB at some point....hopefully.

OP
OP
NY_Sparky

NY_Sparky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad to hear it's not just me. I agree on the having to close it pretty hard to not get the tailgate ajar light.

The frustrating part is, as far as I can tell, if these actuators fail completely, there is no opening the tailgate. Back in the days of my first vehicle, an 82 ram, there was a secondary release accessible in the event the mechanism got screwed up. I don't think there is such a thing on these actuators. Sure would be handy if it did. Of course, with a locked tonneau over the tailgate, it would still require some work to access the release, but it would be doable.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I didn't find anything when I did a quick search.

My 2019 Laramie has the remote tailgate release on the fob, which I have actually found pretty handy at times. Worked great for the first 6 months, and then the weather turned to winter as it does in Western New York. Not surprisingly, in hindsight, the electrical actuated tailgate has become a problem.

The first time I use the tailgate in the day, it will not unlatch. As this has happened several times now, I have learned the combination to make it work - a quick shove in on the tailgate jars something free in the actuators, and then on the next press it will release, and work fine until it sits overnight.

This has all signs of moisture in the actuators freezing them up. So, two questions...

A) Has anyone else ran into this?
B) Is the only solution here to have the actuators replaced, and wait for the next set to start freezing up?

I'm not a big fan of going back to the dealer for simple things I can address myself, mostly because I don't trust the techs to give my truck the time and care I do when I work on things. In this case though, history tells me it's probably not something that will go away, and new actuators are probably only a temporary solution.

Appreciate any input,

The regular release on my tailgate does it from time-to-time even when it's above freezing. When ever the dealer checks it, it works fine for them. Then the next day, I have to push in slightly on the tailgate to get it to unlatch. Not sure what to do at this point.

I have has to slam the heck out of tail gate since the day I picked it up or ajar will illuminate on the dash and disable the back up alert if I dont. you cannot shut easy like you should be be able to.

I've got the same issue from time to time with mine as well. Like you said, I just have to push it in slightly and it works right after. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet because I know it wont do it while they have it. I had a rental 2019 1500 one week for work and it did the same thing. I don't think cold weather is the cause, I believe its something with the actuator. I'm sure it'll turn into a recall or a TSB at some point....hopefully.

We understand dealer visits can be inconvenient, but our team does recommend visiting your preferred one to have this concern addressed. If you would like our help doing so, please send us a private message.

Kate P.
RamCares

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Every time you tell the dealer about it they say it works normally!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad to hear it's not just me. I agree on the having to close it pretty hard to not get the tailgate ajar light.

The frustrating part is, as far as I can tell, if these actuators fail completely, there is no opening the tailgate. Back in the days of my first vehicle, an 82 ram, there was a secondary release accessible in the event the mechanism got screwed up. I don't think there is such a thing on these actuators. Sure would be handy if it did. Of course, with a locked tonneau over the tailgate, it would still require some work to access the release, but it would be doable.

Have the MY 19, but no FOB release, lower Bighorn trim, Have to go and hit handle. No issues. Now, I shut the gate "firmly", but do not slam. And then I have a full tonneau over the back, so guess I am fortunate. But I do wish FCA would have still put a key back there instead of all electric, guess I am spoiled.

IMG_0862.JPG

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
MY tailgate has started doing it once in a while. Probably moisture like mentioned. I still have one cable longer than the other and Ram won't do anything about it. I think they should both be the same length or the tailgate will get tweaked when loaded.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Every time you tell the dealer about it they say it works normally!
Had a Lincoln once, ONLY ONCE!, the fuel pump wouldn’t always run, so no start. Occasionally it would arbitrarily quit while driving. Left my wife stranded multiple times. Had it towed so often AAA blacklisted it. Took it to every Lincoln and Ford Dealer within 50 miles of home. Always the same response. Works just fine. Can’t duplicate the problem. Traded it off as is. Years later in telling this story a retired mechanic started laughing. “Was the humidity high when it wouldn’t run? “ he asked. As I recall yes, usually raining. “And they always put in the shop to test it?” Again yes. “It was a hairline crack in the fuel solenoid, it was drawing enough moisture to short it out” he said. They put it inside, and the humidity under the hood was lowered by the time they tested it. So, it always worked.

Long story to say; they need to duplicate the ambient weather it fails in to test it. They may need to leave it outside overnight and not put it inside the shop to test it.

Last edited:

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So far I just slam hell out of it and rest of us do too it works!

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do know there is a rubber spacer in the shape of a I that goes in the Actuator ASSY under the 8 or 10 torx access plate its called a Actuator P/N68448027AA there is a post here on this.

Trcgdb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram 1500 quad cab
Engine
Eco diesel
I am in the same place as NY Sparky...western NY and my tailgate just won't open...been to two different dealers and neither can seem to fi it. Will go again tomorrow morning as I am leaving wednesday for the south. Just a **** poor design. Not acceptable.