Still fighting with FCA about my 8 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
And to top it off I have a trip planned on the 28th. I need my truck to pull my enclosed.
They have me a jeep wrangler.
I just called to talk with the service director at the dealer, waiting on a call from her.

Damn man the level of absurdity you've gone through is completely unacceptable. Anything short of a full tranny replacement along with the trans cooler valve contraption and associated assemblies is a ******** solution on FCA's part since that tranny has to be toast. I certainly wouldn't blame you if you steered clear of anything FCA in the future after going through this mess.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And to top it off I have a trip planned on the 28th. I need my truck to pull my enclosed.
They have me a jeep wrangler.
I just called to talk with the service director at the dealer, waiting on a call from her.
From Her ?

( Her ) may be a good thing ...my Dept manager is a ( Her ) that has no idea ...******* clueless on so many things we do , But SHE gets more **** done ( at the management level ) than my previous 5 male managers .....lots to that story , but she does get **** done !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

318willrun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hope this works out to your satisfaction. Too bad, all the frustrations and worries. No fun.

Good luck.

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hope this works out to your satisfaction. Too bad, all the frustrations and worries. No fun.

Good luck.

I went there first thing this morning, talked with the service director and basically their hands are tied.
All FCA is authorizing them to do is a valve body and thermal managementram unit.
Even though the tech noted the fluid is burnt and he recommends a new trans.

The tech is going to hopefully have my truck done today.

Morale to the story, FCA has zero integrity.

I have yet to talk to my case manager, I have called, left voice messages, and talked with the operator and they left messages for her to call me.

I hope none of you guys experience this from FCA.
BE WARNED, THEY DONT CARE ABOUT YOU

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, not to dour the dissatisfaction, I guess I am fortunate as I have a good dealership and a squared away Service Manager. Best not to say too much, not want no jinx. PETTY, I sure hope U get a resolution, but IMHO, sounds like they R just kicking that can down the road. IF I were U, I would make sure that the Trans Temp Display is ON at all times, just me thinking...

Good Luck on yer ride and trip.....

Added: Went on 200 mile trip today, temps m id 70's, regular run, Highway 70-80, except for traffic (Friggin Austin), Trans Temp was 188.......

Last edited:

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I went there first thing this morning, talked with the service director and basically their hands are tied.
All FCA is authorizing them to do is a valve body and thermal managementram unit.
Even though the tech noted the fluid is burnt and he recommends a new trans.

The tech is going to hopefully have my truck done today.

Morale to the story, FCA has zero integrity.

I have yet to talk to my case manager, I have called, left voice messages, and talked with the operator and they left messages for her to call me.

I hope none of you guys experience this from FCA.
BE WARNED, THEY DONT CARE ABOUT YOU

Man If I was you I'd just trade that **** in and be done with it. Hopefully that dealer carries another OE to just walk out of it on and if they gave you **** I'd come right back with FCA's response.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man If I was you I'd just trade that **** in and be done with it. Hopefully that dealer carries another OE to just walk out of it on and if they gave you **** I'd come right back with FCA's response.

I would ask them what kind of trade value they would give it. Then if they lowball on a trade value because of "transmission issues" rip them a new one since they claim there is no issue....

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I would ask them what kind of trade value they would give it. Then if they lowball on a trade value because of "transmission issues" rip them a new one since they claim there is no issue....

I doubt it will even be a factor what the past history is if it is running and driving fine at trade in. He will get whatever a 4 model year old RAM goes for with 50K miles. If the dealership is worried about a "lipstick on a pig" trade in sitting on their used lot, they will send it to auction.

I feel for the OP but unless something actually breaks hard and physical, FCA is going to play hardball on this regardless of best practices and high potential probability of failure down the road.

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, you can't make this stuff up.
Got a call from the service director, the tech could not get the new valve body to work.
So now they are ordering another valve body, looks like sometime Monday.
Can't help but think this might be a bit of karma.
I'll bet the time it takes to swap 2 valve bodys they could have probably put in a new trans.
Ol well, at least they got me out of the jeep loaner.
They pulled a 19 1500 off the lot for me to drive.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the amount of dicking around they’ve done trying to fix this, they could have saved time and money to just replace the trans and the various other parts at this point.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, you can't make this stuff up.
Got a call from the service director, the tech could not get the new valve body to work.
So now they are ordering another valve body, looks like sometime Monday.
Can't help but think this might be a bit of karma.
I'll bet the time it takes to swap 2 valve bodys they could have probably put in a new trans.
Ol well, at least they got me out of the jeep loaner.
They pulled a 19 1500 off the lot for me to drive.
If it has the 8 speed you should take note of the xsmn temp and compare shifting [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the amount of dicking around they’ve done trying to fix this, they could have saved time and money to just replace the trans and the various other parts at this point.

My thoughts exactly. They are trying their best to get this truck through warranty. I could have just traded the truck months ago and been done with this headache. I just didn't feel right knowing that some unsuspecting soul could end up with this truck. Thankfully the check engine light came on, so now they (FCA) have no choice but to acknowledge the problem. Am i happy with them only changing the valve body and thermal unit? Hell no, but at the end of the day i'll sleep fine once i trade it, i mean ive done all i can do to keep another customer from getting screwed.
I think after this is all said and done, i'm going back to cummins 6 speed. Kinda miss rowing through the gears.

The dam thing that ****** me off the most, is the zf 8 speed was a huge selling point when i bought the truck, and i'll be dam if its the one thing that has caused me so much heartache.
If FCA would have done the first trans replacement right, IE, change everything that the fluid goes through, then i suspect all would have never happened . Nope, they decided to cut corners and only replace the trans, and here we are. You know they saying, If its worth doing, then its worth doing it right. Now they have one very pissed off customer. I hope this thread reaches someone way up the food chain in FCA. My guess is RAMCARES has been here and read some of this, because they tend to reply to this kinda post in hopes of saving face. They want the public to think they actually care, make no mistake, they don't give a dam.
I've had a case manager for over a week, and have yet to talk to her. When i call customer care and ask to speak to a supervisor, for some reason i never can.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If it has the 8 speed you should take note of the xsmn temp and compare shifting
The 2019 uses the 8HP75 transmission but the temp will probably run about the same as what the 8HP70 does normally.

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it has the 8 speed you should take note of the xsmn temp and compare shifting [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Yep, was looking at trans temp as soon as I pulled out of the dealer.
This new truck shifts amazing.
I'd love mine to shift like this.
I drove a 17 when they put my first trans in. It was pretty awesome too.
When I told the service manager how nice the 17 shifted, he told me it was a 845re not a 8hp70.
I pretty much lost all respect for that guy right then.
Both trucks was 5.7s. When I told him a 845re is a v6 trans he stuck to his guns.