STILL love my Warlock!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramtastico

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Warlock
Engine
3.6l
UPDATE from my original 5/2021 post... I STILL LOVE MY WARLOCK! Really has been just about a perfect truck... looks great, super quiet, lots of room and comfortable for a big guy like me...and the 6 has been a champ! After owning for a while now... not sure there is anything I would have changed other than prefer LED headlights.

I will likely be updating to a big horn, but only because with the kiddo a bigger back seat area is just easier. I know exactly the config i want EXCEPT for the engine.

Led lights
All available safety options
Fold down center seat instead of console
Crew cab
Sunroof
12' screen (I love the 8' screen.. however the surround view camera is something i value)
Couple other nice to have things... like bed lighting. I add liner and running board tubes on myself.

Still not sure which engine I want...

Open to any and all suggestions on engine and/or options (either get or pass based on your experience)!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless you build it, you may not get the LED lighting option on a Bighorn/Lonestar. They are now mostly being built with Quad Halogen. U might have to build and specify. I have a MY 19 DT early Bighorn which when they were first put out, had LED. My son had leased a 19 Lonestar and a 21, no LED. You have to go up a few trims to get LED now. I also wanted MFT, but looking, I would have to go from my lowly Bighorn to High optioned Longhorn to get. I am just lucky, since bought an early build and they had LED on them.

OP
OP
R

Ramtastico

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Warlock
Engine
3.6l
Sorry forgot about this post lol... yes, i plan on building it. Obviously i can get a better deal off the lot... however willing to pay up to get exactly what i want.

My biggest conundrum is do i go with another 6... which has been an absolute champ... or do i go EcoDiesel?

I do not tow anything (currently), however i do make 90 mile each way runs (not daily) along with the grocery getting. On paper... the 6 makes the most sense for me without question however i just like the idea of a diesel 1500. I think if i were ordering and they said ED no xtra cost... i would do it without hesitation... at 5k xtra its not likely i spring for it... but never know!

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Sorry forgot about this post lol... yes, i plan on building it. Obviously i can get a better deal off the lot... however willing to pay up to get exactly what i want.

My biggest conundrum is do i go with another 6... which has been an absolute champ... or do i go EcoDiesel?

I do not tow anything (currently), however i do make 90 mile each way runs (not daily) along with the grocery getting. On paper... the 6 makes the most sense for me without question however i just like the idea of a diesel 1500. I think if i were ordering and they said ED no xtra cost... i would do it without hesitation... at 5k xtra its not likely i spring for it... but never know!
Diesel is a lot more to maintain, fuel filters, DPF, and a lot of other things that can go wrong or add to the maintain list, if not towing and you are between those 2 I would choose the 6. Unless you don’t mind maintenance costs and potential repairs associated with Diesel engines

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Opinion only: I had a GEN II ED, before the current iteration. Also, interesting FCA dumping the ED's, but I bet more because of CAFE and EPA than other. My ED was fine, but I did not want to test fate, why I went to the Hemi. If U R not towing, I would do the Pentastar before the ED, but Hemi before the 6's. But that is just me and I do not drive far ne where, so my truck is a Driveway Princess anyway. OP< good luck on yer choice.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Diesel is a lot more to maintain, fuel filters, DPF, and a lot of other things that can go wrong or add to the maintain list…
Fuel filters need changed every 20k miles and an oil change is only slightly more than anything else.

Diesel is over $5/gallon though.

The 5th gen has a 3.21 option, some of those guys are knocking down 28+ mpg on the highway.

I have a 2016, 227k miles with a level and 35x12.50 tires. I average 22mpg (per tank, not 50 mile cheater runs) but mine has a 3.92 ratio.

I love it, I’d buy another tomorrow.

If you do get a diesel, find a way to turn off the EGR asap.

OP
OP
R

Ramtastico

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Warlock
Engine
3.6l
Appreciate all the input... going to drive one of each in the bighorn trim (I have the classic 1500 now) and pick the one that calls to me. Going to pull up CW mccall Convoy and blare it through car play when driving the diesel :cool:

Will post up the final when done... couple of loads to go before i get rid of my beloved Warlock.

montanabound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a ed and it was nothing but problems. The new gen was supposed to be better right? Maybe look into a 2500 or 3500 if you want a diesel.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Love Baby Warlock..comfort,dependability and power with only an exhaust and CAI intake change. Daily driver..did swap out halogent low beams and new taillights and put in an extra front amber bar light and vent hood lihjts for those foggy & snowy days to be seen. V8 Hemi is perfect for me. All dressed up, a kill switch and a dash cam.

OP
OP
R

Ramtastico

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Warlock
Engine
3.6l
Was just at the dealer getting an oil change... talked me out of the Diesel... told me to wait for the Hurricane. A Ram brother asked if I loved the Warlock so much... why get something else. The new Kiddo seat in the quad is tough when the wife sits behind her 6'3 husband... either she is sitting sideways or I have the seat way up.

So at some point... a Big Horn crew with the 3 seat front (I hate that center console) and maybe splurge on a few add ons.