Stock 20s or keep the upgraded 22s on 2022 1500 Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjatta87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7L
I have a couple of questions for the group. But first a little background.

I have a 22 Limited on order and ordered the 22" rims. I had a 19 Limited with the 22s and with the reduced sidewall on the tires, they were tore up from curbs (after letting the wife drive it while I was on deployment). It rode really nice and performed well, but I don't really have any comparison because I have never driven a Limited with the stock 20s. I mainly ordered the 22s because they look better and fill in the wheel well better than the stock 20s (they look kind of small on that truck).

So which one rides better the 20s or 22s? Does the extra sidewall on the 20s provide better ride/performance and will they still look good?

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I just went through this decision process. I ended up going with the 20s. Saved me $2k and they look awesome. Pics on the internet don’t do them justice. Make sure you see them in person.

As for ride, anything with more sidewalk will ride better.

As for size, the tire/wheel combo are basically identical in how much room they take up in the wheel well.

I’m 20s all the way.

Hope this helps

cvillechopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm running 20s with a 2.25 lift (5100 Billis up front and spring spacer in the rear) and 275/65 20 BFG KO2s. To me, this puts the exact amount of space I like but that really is a subjective thing. Truck.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I just went through this decision process. I ended up going with the 20s. Saved me $2k and they look awesome. Pics on the internet don’t do them justice. Make sure you see them in person.

As for ride, anything with more sidewalk will ride better.

As for size, the tire/wheel combo are basically identical in how much room they take up in the wheel well.

I’m 20s all the way.

Hope this helps
Can't go wrong with 20s lol .... I would of gone to 18"s but they didn't have the wheels i wanted in 18" so 20s it was

Tizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you haul or tow, go with 20s. The 22s have less weight capacity.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I've never been a fan of the 22's. Even the 20's are too big. I love the offroad look of my 17's!

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I have a couple of questions for the group. But first a little background.

I have a 22 Limited on order and ordered the 22" rims. I had a 19 Limited with the 22s and with the reduced sidewall on the tires, they were tore up from curbs (after letting the wife drive it while I was on deployment). It rode really nice and performed well, but I don't really have any comparison because I have never driven a Limited with the stock 20s. I mainly ordered the 22s because they look better and fill in the wheel well better than the stock 20s (they look kind of small on that truck).

So which one rides better the 20s or 22s? Does the extra sidewall on the 20s provide better ride/performance and will they still look good?
Despite popular consensus, I like the 22s. But I am more of a MetroJethro type. I towed my Denali 289RK on the 2020 Limited with the 22s and it was great. No problems at all. I am a car guy so the 22s make the truck feel way better to me in the handling department. In corners, out of corners, general balance and feel. With the suspension setup and air ride on the limited the 22s are fantastic. Which you should know from the 19.

That said, if you are tearing them up, I would opt for something like the 18s off the Bighorn with a 7" sidewall instead of the 5" on the 22s - the 20s are 6". I bet someone would trade you without hesitation.

Also the width and they look better :)

Last edited:

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will side with Fran on this one. But depends on the look and use you are going for. personally, my truck is my car - no off-road stuff, just daily driver' I love my 22's.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I will side with Fran on this one. But depends on the look and use you are going for. personally, my truck is my car - no off-road stuff, just daily driver' I love my 22's.
Only thing about 22s is the risk of damage do to hard impacts from potholes, protruding manholes on the road and other things that can cause a high hard impact against those wheels with that little bit of tire between the wheel ..

Working at Big O Tires the wheels that got damaged do to high impacts where 22s, 24s the most ..on cars its a bit different but you still get high impact damage on low profile tires with wheels especially in the 18 to 20 range ....

I can honestly say I saw maybe one wheel that was a 20 inch with damage to do a high impact incident and it was because he drove up onto the center divider and had low profile tires ..... with 22s you increase the risk of high impact damage because the 35s especially have less sidewall, 37s will have a bit more but I still wouldn't slap 37s on 22s myself ....