Stock Alpine Subwoofer Replacement - 2022 Edition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dark Horse 2022

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Well, I finally completed my first mod in my 2022 SLT Classic. The stock Alpine subwoofer had to go.

I am not seeking audiophile performance, just tidier bass so I found an 8" Pioneer sub with dual 2 ohm voice coils (just like the Alpine).

Subwoofer.JPG

Here is the stock sub/box.

Stock.jpg

I started by removing the stock box. This requires a 19mm socket. Then I disconnected the stock harness.

19mm Bolt.jpg

Stock Harness.jpg

Once the box was out, I removed the screws holding the Alpine with a Torx T-25 screwdriver. I also had to remove the Phillips-head screw that was anchoring the sub to the box.

Anchor Screw.JPG

The next step was to plug the anchor hole. I used Kilmat sound deadening.

Kilmat1.JPG

Kilmat2.JPG

Anchor Hole Plugged.jpg

Then, I wrapped the entire box with Kilmat. If I said this stuff was enjoyable to work with, I'd be a liar. I also stuffed polyfill inside the box.

Box Stuffed.jpg

I created a "crater" in the polyfill and and cut the spade connectors off the Metra harnesses.

Metra Harness.JPG

Minus Spades.JPG

I connected the Pioneer sub, placed it in the box and headed for my ride. Here it is installed. This model lined up with the factory holes and there was no drilling required at all.

Installed.JPG

I will give this some time to break in and if I am still unhappy with the bass, I'll add a Kicker Key 500.1 amp.

On to the next mod.....

Last edited:

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why the poly? This sub need more air space? Also curious as the why the killmat on the exterior of the box?

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The poly simulates more air volume if I'm not mistaken.
That’s exactly what it does. Why I asked if the new sub needed more air than the box provided. A lot of people just add it because they heard about adding it but not why to add and how much. That box looks over stuffed to me.

RDNKB34R

Reaction score
Ah makes me miss the days of putting dynamat on my ****box firebird back in high school..

OP
OP
D

Dark Horse 2022

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
That’s exactly what it does. Why I asked if the new sub needed more air than the box provided. A lot of people just add it because they heard about adding it but not why to add and how much. That box looks over stuffed to me.
The box isn't actually overstuffed. I just hadn't packed it in and created the pocket for the sub yet. I went with Killmat over the whole box on the advice of another forum member who felt they got better bass response than the inside or underside of the box. Time will tell I suppose.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did this years ago and I am still very happy with it.

I dynomatted the inside and added poly, nice clean and tight bass that sounds way bette rthan the stock alpine once broken in.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Me too!

Attachments

• tapatalk_933334594_378x504.jpeg
    tapatalk_933334594_378x504.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 46

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome. I'm looking at doing this in the next couple of weeks too. Liking the shallow sub so i can maintain the back seat height.
Already covered the box with sound deadner and filled it with polyfill for use with the stock alpine sub.

Questions
1- for those that have done this, are you using the stock head unit? I upgrade to a Pioneer one years back.
2- why a 2 ohm sub over a 4 ohm one?
3- did you add a separate amp for the sub or just run everything off the head unit? I'm leaning towards an amp for the sub.

Please note I'm not very knowledgeable about audio stuff.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You cannot run a sub off any head unit, not near enough power. Dual 2 ohm voice coil gives the best flexibility. If your sub amp will go down to 1ohm you can wire that sub to one ohm or 2. I tapped into my rear speakers and used the high level input on my Kicker Key 500.1 sub amp stable to 1ohm.
Edit to add; looks like you have the Apline system? It has an amp for the sub already.

Last edited:

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes i am running the Alpine system currently minus a head unit. Was planning to run a separate amp for the sub and keep the speakers wired to the head unit.
May have to just speak with a local store to get this all sorted properly.

Mattplow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know almost a year since this has been done but, are you happy with the results still or have you added an amp since? If so, I hope you did a tutorial on that also.

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nicely timed bump.
Have the Sub and Amp sitting in the garage waiting on install. Ended up moving to a different place and getting time for this stuff has proven difficult.

Will update when I have more to share.

One Mile Up

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I just had this done as well... made a huge difference! I love having the bass on a bass knob too -- SO much easier to fine tune song-to-song :waytogo:

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just had this done as well... made a huge difference! I love having the bass on a bass knob too -- SO much easier to fine tune song-to-song :waytogo:

Really cool to see you are doing a similar upgrade. If time allows I hope to tackle my sub/amp install next week. Glad you like the results.