Stock bed anchor capacity ratings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vdavidoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm surprised I'm having such a hard time finding this, but I can't seem to dig this up anywhere online or in the manual. The manual talks about the capacity ratings for the bed rail cleats (which I don't have), but nothing about the stock anchor points at the bottom 4 corners of the bed.

The other day I was ratchet strapping some lumber in and one of those anchors started to flex _way_ before I expected it would. I realize ratchet straps can easily apply a massive amount of tension, but this just seemed like I should have a lot more room before these anchors would flex.

Does anyone know what those stock anchors are rated at, and/or if you can get aftermarket anchors that sit low on the bed (not up on the rail) that maybe affix to something more sturdy than the bed (like down to the frame)?

Thanks.

P.S. First time pickup owner here, so if this question seems stupid, maybe that's why.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
They only bolt to the bed sheet metal. So I believe not more than about a 100# or so.
I too wish they held more but its more of a tarp anchor or luggage tie down point...

Black 20 Ram

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I would expect them to handle a 300 lb load force. Most of the load weight should be on the bed of the truck. For lumber either a very heavy duty bed extender or a lumber rack are advisable.

Check out the super heavy duty American Tail Mate Load extender for something strong enough to handle a heavy load of PT lumber. It weighs 45 lbs and supports a load of 1000 pounds. I paid $330 for mine which is a lot more than the light duty bed extenders that are meant for kayaks and canoes.

https://realtruck.com/p/truck-covers-usa-tail-mate-load-extender/