Stock Exhaust Drone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve had my ‘19 Ram Bighorn for a week and a half now. Traded a a 17 EcoD for it.

I’m getting terrible exhaust drone when cruising around 60 and over. It is ear ringing at 75mph for rear passengers. Just wanna see if others are experiencing this.

Wonder if a cat back will magnify this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
Same here. I can't hear anything unless I floor it.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Nope nothing such as that on my end. Definitely run that past the dealership.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve had my ‘19 Ram Bighorn for a week and a half now. Traded a a 17 EcoD for it.

I’m getting terrible exhaust drone when cruising around 60 and over. It is ear ringing at 75mph for rear passengers. Just wanna see if others are experiencing this.

Wonder if a cat back will magnify this?

Do you have a hard cover on you're bed? I've got a soft cover on my 17 with Carven muffler and get a little drone but not bad.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a hard cover on you're bed? I've got a soft cover on my 17 with Carven muffler and get a little drone but not bad.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nothing on it yet. I had issues with my 17 and glad I held off on the mods since I got a healthy trade assist. I hope this doesn’t follow suit.

I have always been a Ford guy. I just thought ram had a nicer interior, and the EcoD. The last one had over 50 dirt nibs and transfer case issues.

I have had numerous Fords and no issues. The one I held onto the longest was my 02 F150 7700 series “work” truck. I would have never parted with it even at 350k, but accidents happen.

I may start to regret brand jumping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an update

I turned my “eco” light setting to illuminate so I could isolate the occurrence of the drone. Well I get it when mds kicks in however it has reduced big time. Don’t know it breaking the motor in had anything to do with it. The odometer had 2 miles on it when I test drove it.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cruising in 7th or 8th gear when that light comes on you can hear the MDS kick in.

I believe when MDS is on, you would be in ECO mode, but just because your in ECO mode, does not mean MDS is on, does that make sense?

OP
OP
K

Kfield

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe when MDS is on, you would be in ECO mode, but just because your in ECO mode, does not mean MDS is on, does that make sense?

Total sense for lower gearing. I don’t experience the drone in anything 6 and under.

SilverBullet85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FYI: Eco does not mean MDS is active.
I was under the impression that it does mean that. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here...If I have that indicator enabled 'green "eco" light' comes on in certain situations and I'm certain it's when MDS is on. I can hear the exhaust note change and feel a slight shudder when that light kicks on and off which confirms it in my mind. Are we talking about the same thing?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exhaust note changing is a typical sign of MDS activating. However the "ECO" light is not an indication that MDS is active. Plenty of threads about this in the 4th gen section.