Stock offset or wheel flares ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitty2495

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This hasn’t been addressed directly so now I need opinions.

2019 2500 night package 285-60/R20

I asked a year ago for snow tire recommendations so I went with Wildpeak A/T3W 275-70R18 on a set of GFX-TR 12 and asked for stock offset, new TPMS.

I put one on and it is not stock offset. It is 12 which is about 1.5 outside the wheel well or 2.4 outside the painted turn in flange.

The combo looks nice but I’m not going to chance chips and crap on the truck especially when I’m running OEM mud flaps.

What would you do:

1. Send em back for a stock offset option rim
2. Get flares and take off flaps
3. Work the flaps over flares
4. If I do flares I only want a 2 inch and I’m not drilling
5. I’d likely paint unless you don’t thick it’s necessary with PAU (Granite)

Appreciate that chatter

Smitty

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7

I asked a year ago for snow tire recommendations so I went with Wildpeak A/T3W 275-70R18 on a set of GFX-TR 12 and asked for stock offset, new TPMS.

I put one on and it is not stock offset. It is 12 which is about 1.5 outside the wheel well or 2.4 outside the painted turn in flange.

The combo looks nice but I’m not going to chance chips and crap on the truck especially when I’m running OEM mud flaps.

What would you do:

Appreciate that chatter

Smitty
Most of the time when I put a wheel and tire package together i make the tire flush if you say that you dont want any rock chips. imo wheels look better not tucked as far as stock. If you asked for something and were not provided what you ask for send them back

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you are not happy with them send them back. With that said you are going to have a hard time finding a aftermarket wheel with a stock offset which is around a +56 (if I remember correctly) on a 8.5" wheel. Most aftermarket wheels are a +18 to +20 on a 9" wheel at the most + offset.

Buck416

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

What would you do:

Appreciate that chatter

Smitty
Hey Smitty ive seen factory flare kits online that are 3M adhered. Was a bit back so no link but im thinkin goin that way myself, 4 inch levelling kit plus 2 inch wheel spacers and yea my nokian outpost tyres as they speel it mess up sides of my truck even as a pavement princess. Had some decaling done below doors and tire spray obscures that.

OP
OP
Smitty2495

Smitty2495

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buck
This is so disappointing they look so nice (put one on so if anything wrong easy to ship the rest back)

So even with 1.5 inches outside I’m looking at my OCD driving me crazy?

OP
OP
Smitty2495

Smitty2495

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Buck
This is so disappointing they look so nice (put one on so if anything wrong easy to ship the rest back)

So even with 1.5 inches outside I’m looking at my OCD driving me crazy

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you keep them, you will deal with road spray more than slinging rocks. I have the same tires. The sidewall treads dont catch and grab as many pebbles as the interior treads, usually. Im only relaying my experience . Are they sticking out that amount comparing at the top of the fender or the bottom?

zrock

Reaction score
if you got them a year ago then returning them is going to be a issue.. Most aftermarket fender flairs use OEM holes in the fenders to mount. Did not have to drill a thing to mount my bushwhacker. Lesson i learned with color matching them is leave it to the professional. The white color match i ordered was several shades off and drives me insane every time i look at it

OP
OP
Smitty2495

Smitty2495

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thunder they are 1.5 outside the upper fender which means they will sling at the 1 inch turned in portion too

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stay away from those ******** looking aftermarket RUST flares if you live in the salt belt.

I see so many rusted rams because of them up here its hilarious.

The OEM ones dont seem to have that problem.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My opinion is stock offset or close to it.

I have done offset wheels and flares in the past. And adding flares to try and cover offset wheels does basically absolutely nothing. Been down that road before.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
fender flares = rust traps as moisture gets trapped between the flare and fender lip. BTDT