Stock system upgrade. Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GiJoeFontaine

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all, so I recently got a 2019 1500 Classic and am in the midst's of installing subs and amps.
I have always had them in my cars and this truck will be no different.

I've gone over ALOT of forum pages but I still have a few questions.

I have a 6 speaker non alpine smaller screen stereo.
I am putting in 2x Alpine MRP-M500 and 2x JBL JL10W1V34 10' in the under rear seat box with a cap.

That aside I wanted to do something with stock speakers.
Alot of people mention the dash speaker being 8ohm and having to put in resistors and such. Is there any issue with just leaving those alone and replacing the 4 doors?
I want more clarity and highs since the rear will take car of all my lows lol.

I have seen some people post just running a 4channel amp to the stock and I should be good but that's people who are missing bass from the stock unit from what I understand.
I plan to use a line out converter since a PAC module is over $300.

I want to try and stay in a budget and not blow the bank... IF I don't HAVE to. I'm at the age where I know to buy quality once than to skimp and have to spend again down the road.

If it makes a difference, the 4 channel I have (literally in a closet) is a Hertz DPOWER4.

Also, I have no "brand loyalty" as you an see, I'm just a fan of what works well.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with focal components in the doors with a 4 channel and got rid of the dash speakers. I tried upgrading them to kickers and it was way to bright for me.
OP as you know audio is all subjective. WadXpress found Kicker tweets in the dash as too bright and I find them refreshing. Adding clarity and vocal definition without adding resistors to even out their output from the door speakers.

You can amp the stock speakers but don’t expect much from them. The OEM speakers are very lightweight paper cone types. I was very disappointed with the quality of the stock speakers when I pulled them to upgrade. My common run of the mill 6X9 Kicker mid/woofer door upgrades weigh four times what the stock full range speakers weigh. Depending on the output of your amp the stock speakers may not last long. The stock full range door speakers are stamped 4 ohm 20W.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
This is what I had installed recently in my 19' Classic with the 6 speaker system, and what a huge improvement.
I second Focal speakers. The detail and clarity with these speakers is phenomenal, and they handle power very well without compromising integrity or sound quality.

* Edit - replace those dash speakers. The Focal kit I used has the front door and dash 2-way set speakers. Then replaced the rear door speakers with the 3-way set.

I had a marine grade Kenwood 5-channel amp installed on an elevated platform under the drivers seat, and a top line Audiomobile 10" sub in a sealed custom box that was stuffed with insulation to better the sound. All this attached to a new Kenwood head unit, and now it's the perfect system, for me.

I was also done dealing with the continual UConnect stock deck issues, so I knew it was time for a quality head unit and be done with issues. I just took it a little further and said screw it, time for a whole new upgraded system.

I am a music lover and am in my truck a lot for my career. So for great music quality, it was an easy upgrade.

Attachments

• 20221005_122434.jpg
    20221005_122434.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I like that you went with components for the front. Enjoy!
Thank you!

IMO - one needs the dash speakers to compliment and balance the sound. Plus with the head unit, one can set the seating position on this Kenwood so the system provides the best balance of sound in the cabin. I have the seating position set to driver.

Adjusting the various settings for crossover's etc., will ensure that the brightness of the upgraded dash speakers doesn't overpower the sound quality and hurt ones ears. Only having door speakers and now dash speakers brings the sound down and IMO doesn't afford the listener to enjoy the real details in the music.

I hear in music now things I've missed for years, for instance, with Peter Frampton "Do You Feel Like We Do", or Chris Stapleton (all his songs), the instruments, clarity in guitar, etc.

However, it's all really to do with what the listener wants to achieve. I wanted ultra clear and detailed sound quality and went with Focal because that's what they are know for delivering.

I also went with a single high quality 10" sub from Audiomobile because they are know for delivering exceptional bass response in a purpose designed slim sub for sealed boxes in very small spaces. Then the right amp to power it all the right way without overkilling anything.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with Kicker and put the resistor in the dash speakers. Very pleased with it. I just put a powered 10” sub behind the rear seat and called it good.
I went with Kickers in the dash and doors also. What sub did you go with? I have a crew cab with the rear seat hack so they fold down but still not much room behind the rear seats.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with Kickers in the dash and doors also. What sub did you go with? I have a crew cab with the rear seat hack so they fold down but still not much room behind the rear seats.
I’m seat hacked. Ran the power and T-tapped into the rear door speakers for signal. This is sitting vertical behind the rear seat, drivers side. Its been great since 2019 and you cant beat the price! It sounds pretty good. Its not Skar or JLA, but I dint need it to be.

1677623964660.png

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Search my posts for my build. It hits hard and clean.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m seat hacked. Ran the power and T-tapped into the rear door speakers for signal. This is sitting vertical behind the rear seat, drivers side. Its been great since 2019 and you cant beat the price! It sounds pretty good. Its not Skar or JLA, but I dint need it to be.

View attachment 514928
Thanks, my daughter has the smaller 8 inch model of the same brand in her Civic. It’s been flawless since 2020. Yours fits vertical with enough space behind the seats? I can’t put anything horizontal cuz I have the fold out floor the pooch stands on.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, my daughter has the smaller 8 inch model of the same brand in her Civic. It’s been flawless since 2020. Yours fits vertical with enough space behind the seats? I can’t put anything horizontal cuz I have the fold out floor the pooch stands on.
Yes. Vertical it has plenty of room!