Stop start switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hwyhound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, just purchased a 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn, night edition. I've noticed I have no switch indicator light verifying that I've deactivated the start stop sequence. The switch works and the dash info confirms it. I can see there is a clear tab on the switch for the light but its not functioning. The manual confirms a light should be present and all other indicator lights work properly. Is the manual wrong? should the light work? Looking for some info before heading to my dealer.
Thanks

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Yes, there should be a light under the switch that should work. Does it still shut down at a stop? Or does it keep running?

OP
OP
H

hwyhound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, there should be a light under the switch that should work. Does it still shut down at a stop? Or does it keep running?

The switch functions as it should but there is no indicator light to verify it’s activated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I seldom turn it off, but I think there is a light behind the switch. I'll check tomorrow to be sure.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
My light is directly under the switch.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
These are all Hybrid trucks right?

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I checked mine out today, there is a light on the bottom right of the switch when I press the button to deactivate the start/stop.

OP
OP
H

hwyhound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I checked mine out today, there is a light on the bottom right of the switch when I press the button to deactivate the start/stop.

Thank you, I stopped at my dealer today and they also confirmed the light. I have an appointment on Thursday and will report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I just looked at the 2021 owners manual online...yes, there is no light by the switch any longer...it is on the instrument cluster. See page 186/187 of the owners manual which states:

Push the Stop/Start OFF switch (located on the switch bank). The light on the switch will illuminate. The “STOP/START OFF” message will appear in the instrument cluster display and the Autostop mode will be disabled.

Then it proceeds to indicate there is a light by the switch too:

TO MANUALLY TURN ON THE STOP START SYSTEM Push the Stop/Start OFF switch (located on the switch bank). The light on the switch will turn off.

OP
OP
H

hwyhound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, just returned from my service visit. The tech has stated on my work order that he found a "Star Case" S2008000183 referring to the indicator. A software update will be available 1st quarter 2021. I guess there is also a HVAC control off button indicator non functioning also. I'm not familiar with the "star case" term but I'm hopeful for a resolution.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
IMHO, a "Star Case" is always a much better sign than a "cannot duplicate" staring you in the face on the service ticket as you drive away from the dealer. "Star Case" typically means they have identified the issue and a fix is pending.

Last edited:

Squeaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Billet Sliver Limited 4x4 Crew cab
Engine
HEMI e-Torque
Actually, on my Limited the "switch" itself doesn't light, there is a bar just below and to the right of the push button that turns on/off. On when start/stop is enabled, off when it is not. This is the same light setup for 4x setting, Hi, Low, Auto, etc. The vehicle is an eTorque Hemi.

OP
OP
H

hwyhound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone got the update to fix this issue? I've stopped at the dealer several times with no luck. I know the light is supposed to light because I've seen it on a 2020. The switch defiantly has the light it just doesn't activate.

OP
OP
H

hwyhound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Found this on another forum, hope it helps someone.

"Yes the programming change was applied to this issue. My light NOW illuminates. Description from my receipt listed below:

"3827 service bulletin 18-048-21 18-19-06-EB Module, Powertrain Control (PCM) Reprogram current part number 68502742AC to targeted part number 68502742AD"

grvlpt

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994, 1996, 2005
Engine
My 2021 5.7 has a message: stop/start not ready. It is not working at all. Any ideas?