Strange electrical issues (part 2)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68Malibu383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 Classic Lone Star I purchased in December with 25K miles. Here are the issues:

1. today I shut truck off, removed key from ignition, placed key fob on armrest, exited truck, did not lock doors, closed door, tried to open tailgate and it was locked. I thought I had accidentally locked doors, but they were all unlocked. So, I opened driver's door and alarm went off. I hit unlock on key fob and alarm stopped.

2. About a week ago I was driving and not touching anything and the infotainment screen went black, then restarted about 10 seconds later as if I'd started the truck. The RAM logo appeared, etc.

3. About two weeks ago, I drove truck to a job. Parked for a few hours. Restarted and the outside temp reading on the truck was negative 40 degrees (outside temperature was about 90 degrees). It eventually started changing and within 10 minutes, it displayed the correct temp.

4. About four weeks ago, I went to start truck and I heard a high pitched electrical noise. Engine started but volt gauge was very low for several seconds, then only climbed to half way the entire 10 minute drive home (it is usually closer to the 2/3rds mark). Parked it and restarted the next morning and same noise and behavior. At some point, the volt gauge came back up and noise has not returned.

5. Many months ago, I noticed the display on the dash would change all by itself. I always have the truck vitals displayed (engine temp, oil temp, etc). Park truck. Restart and speedometer is displayed. Same thing happens with the radio. I leave it on Sirius and it will often be on FM after restart. No, I'm not accidentally changing things. I had a 2015 Ram for 5.5 years and 125K miles and the above never happened.

I took truck to dealer for a few things a while back and mentioned #5. As usual, they found nothing wrong. I asked about past service/repairs and they said the battery had been replaced when the truck was about 18 moths old. That'd odd to me.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210629_135721_resized(1).jpg
    20210629_135721_resized(1).jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 8

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
One thing you DID find out, the reason why the original owner got rid of it in one year. ;)

Start with the simple things, check that battery cables are tight on both ends. If you have a voltmeter, check battery voltage is about 12.5 with engine off & about 13.5 when running.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm thinking this could be a battery issue. Like stated above, check the connections to the battery. Also, get the battery tested at your local auto parts store. They will put a load on it and tell you if it is within spec. A voltmeter alone can tell you some info, but not all you need to know. I know you said the battery was recently replaced, but if it was replaced with a cheap one it's not unreasonable for it to be already bad 18 months later. I think cheap ones have a 1 year warranty and more expensive ones have a 3 year warranty.

Edit: If the battery checks out, put pressure on your dealer to find the problem since you're within warranty. Present them with proof of the problems and that you've had the battery checked/replaced.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Next time you hear the noise, I'd pop the hood to see if you can figure out where it's coming from. Alternator maybe?

Like indept said, if you measure voltage across the battery with a voltmeter, it should be close to ~14VDC with the engine idling.

Loose grounds can cause weird electrical issues, so can shoddy aftermarket electronic installs if your truck has any.

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I had similar problems with my 2012 Druango. EVIC shutting off and coming back radio going hay wire. Come to find out had a bad alternator and that was draining my battery. IF you don't have a recall for the alternator, maybe you can get the dealership to replace it under warranty. Just a thought.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Definately got some gremlins. +1 on the alternator check, and looking over grounds. It sure sounds like an intermittent connection somewhere. Perhaps a connector not seated?

With that many things, maybe there is a common point for all.

Keep on the service dept about this. I hope you get it corrected.

Last edited:
OP
OP

68Malibu383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the replies and suggestions.. Unfortunately, truck is outside of warranty now. I did take it to dealer when it had this problem but as usual they couldn't find anything wrong.

I now have 40,000 miles on the truck. The battery is a Mopar 750 CCA unit. I checked electrical connections at the battery. alternator and starter. Everything was fine. I took truck to Advance auto and they checked battery, alternator, starter and everything was fine. I do not have any aftermarket electronic devices.

I will ask the dealer to give me a print out of all service that was done on the truck prior to my ownership. Service writer looked it up while I was standing at the counter one day and all they said was the battery was replaced and no other comment.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like a bad battery to me . When you say it was tested ,was it load tested ? If just the voltage was measured but a “ load “ test not performed it may be bad. Batteris are hit or miss on the life span ,my 2014 lasted until this February,on my 2004 it lasted 8 years. My wife’s Honda eats them about every 3 years.

OP
OP

68Malibu383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, they load tested the battery.

Battery was replaced at dealer a little over a year ago.

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is a long shot but check that all of your fuses are completely seated. Mine were not seated all the way and several other people also reported their fuses were not seated too

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm thinking this could be a battery issue. Like stated above, check the connections to the battery. Also, get the battery tested at your local auto parts store. They will put a load on it and tell you if it is within spec. A voltmeter alone can tell you some info, but not all you need to know. I know you said the battery was recently replaced, but if it was replaced with a cheap one it's not unreasonable for it to be already bad 18 months later. I think cheap ones have a 1 year warranty and more expensive ones have a 3 year warranty.

Edit: If the battery checks out, put pressure on your dealer to find the problem since you're within warranty. Present them with proof of the problems and that you've had the battery checked/replaced.
There was a TSB/recall on the 5th gen 2019's ref a bad ground engine to chassis. Not sure if that would apply to yer 4th Gen, but it was built in 2019. Go to RAM Owner site and join if U R not a member and check for recalls specifically on grounds and whateva may be posted, possible recalls that were not done by previous owner, U neva know. (SHOT in the dark).

ground.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP

68Malibu383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a long shot but check that all of your fuses are completely seated. Mine were not seated all the way and several other people also reported their fuses were not seated too
Thanks. I though about that this morning. Will check asap.

OP
OP

68Malibu383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update. I checked fuses in late July and I found that every single one of the larger fuses was pushed up a little bit. Maybe 1/64th of an inch?? Very noticeable. I pushed them all back down and the issues I've had are about 90% resolved. A couple of times a week the display or radio may change after shutdown and restart, but nothing like it was before. I've since checked the fuses and they've not worked their way back up and it's been 6 weeks and several thousand miles.

Just now seeing the recall notice above and I will call about that Monday. Thanks for thanks for all of the suggestions and information.

Attachments

• 20210728_201315.jpg
    20210728_201315.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 3

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update. I checked fuses in late July and I found that every single one of the larger fuses was pushed up a little bit. Maybe 1/64th of an inch?? Very noticeable. I pushed them all back down and the issues I've had are about 90% resolved. A couple of times a week the display or radio may change after shutdown and restart, but nothing like it was before. I've since checked the fuses and they've not worked their way back up and it's been 6 weeks and several thousand miles.

Just now seeing the recall notice above and I will call about that Monday. Thanks for thanks for all of the suggestions and information.
You can go to the Mopar Owner site and make an account tp check on stuff like recalls and wateva for yer ride. Yer choice. DA BOIRD.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, quadruple-check the battery-to-body grounds, and engine-to-frame/body ground straps like others said. And ensure the battery posts are clean. Make sure the battery cable ends where they connect to the cables are not somehow loose or defective from the factory. All the switching goes through the ground path so you need to make sure there are not any intermittent lack of grounds. It might not hurt to double-check your engine's, engine-mounts. If an engine mount failed prematurely it could lift the engine under normal driving torque ....and you'd never know it with the hood closed. I've had that happen before on a GM years ago. When that happens sometimes connections pull out or get stressed.

Another possibility, after making sure the grounds and connections are really good and if it persists, is the start solenoid (or whatever relay engages the starter and turns on the accessories).

You could also unhook the battery cables and tie them together and let sit overnight to completely drain and reset the PCM (not hooked to the battery of course).