Strange noise from left front wheel area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-Duster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a strange noise coming from the drivers side front wheel. It is not steady but clunks and thunks when you hit even a small bump in the road while going slow. Or at first when you put it in gear to back up or go forward. Had a nephew get under it a few days ago and he could hear and feel the clunk and thump with his dad and myself pushing up and down on the bumper but couldn't zero in on where is was coming from. All the steering components are tight but if I run it over rough ground you can feel the steering jerk back and forth. I was told it may be the steering box has broken loose and that has happened on lifted trucks but I would think you should be able to feel that even sitting still turning the steering back and forth but I don't. I am leaning towards a CV joint going bad like the old U-joints used to get sloppy before they failed. Idea's what is causing this issue ?

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Jack each side up. Check hubs too. Take pressure off the front end though and shake everything.

OP
OP
T-Duster

T-Duster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Left front shock was the problem. Look to have broken inside and collapsed once we got it off. Replaced both shocks and that fixed it. Hardest thing was finding matching shocks that fit with the 4 inch lift.