Strange rattle sound/feeling under front end when going over bumps.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bran101010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 R/T
I also ran into this problem a while back, and once I got new struts, tires, and a proper wheel alignment it only comes back when my alignment starts to get off track. The part that is always off is where the column meets up with the axle, and that seems to cause the thud/rattling sound in my truck. Just something else to check, because I also thought it was everything else everyone has mentioned.

yourfloormat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 TRX4
Engine
I wish I could be of help, but no one has been able to fix mine. I have a 09 Ram 1500 and for years now there as been a rattle. Mine is more just a rattle in the front end, i really dont feel anything with it thou just hear it. Only can hear it with window open too. Various garages and dealers and not one has yet been able to pin it down. I tried various things and each time it was something that needed fixing but wasn't issue of the rattle lol. I have just recently noted however, that it appears the rattle is not present when the brakes are applied. So I think I'm going to look into the brakes on it here in a few days.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Did they try tightening your cab mount bolts?

If you have running boards, check the bolts for those brackets as well.

Pssst, WTF?? Are running "boards"?? You realize they're called side steps. as there isn't an ounce of wood anywhere in them

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pssst, WTF?? Are running "boards"?? You realize they're called side steps. as there isn't an ounce of wood anywhere in them

Running boards are what most people call them. No one cares that they aren't made of wood. Anyone got any good leads on some wooden side steps though? I'd love to pick some up.

Cargasm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the plastic inner wheel well. My right front has gotten a little floppy. Kept hearing a strange soft thud dud dud rattle noise when hitting bumps not always just sometimes. Took a couple weeks to find it. I could grab the inner edge pull it down then let go and it made the same noise I kept hearing when it sprang up and bounced.

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Check the plastic inner wheel well. My right front has gotten a little floppy. Kept hearing a strange soft thud dud dud rattle noise when hitting bumps not always just sometimes. Took a couple weeks to find it. I could grab the inner edge pull it down then let go and it made the same noise I kept hearing when it sprang up and bounced.
Using Cargasm's post, I found that I had a couple of issues going on. When I had the hail damage repaired back in December, they didn't put the driver side fender liner back in correctly. Plus, they didn't put a couple of the retainers through the liner to mount it solidly to the fender. I fixed those issues.
Then, after reading a little farther back in the thread, there was mention of the fog lights. I checked mine and, sure enough, both were rattling around in the mount hole. I grabbed a couple of zip ties and snugged them up. After going over some bumps, the thumps, bumps and rattles are gone.