stretched tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ohio5pt7

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Man I should have listened. You guys warned me. You said it was dangerous, you said it was ***, your said it was douchy, and dumb. But none of that could have prepared me for the horror caught on camera when the 12.5 wide tire exploded mounting on the 14 wide wheel. The floppy rubber just pounded us as it went flying. WARNING!!! IF YOU ARE EASILY TRIGGERED PLEASE TURN AWAY NOW!!! Stretching tires is dangerous and can lead to the following: loss of vision, extra flick in the wrist, serious injury, and death. Viewer discretion is advised.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
FYI, a 14" wide wheel is actually 15" bead to bead.

Yes a rim's width is measured inside the rim bead to bead, it's not the outside width of the rim.
42673c08b575865873ea4379badf6886.jpg

OP
OP
Ohio5pt7

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good info but I surprisingly knew that one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just also keep in mind with high offsets you need more lift. Just make sure you do your homework before you drop the coin. Example as you know I'm -44 with the 4 inch lift and 35s I was rubbing compared to stock or much less offset people can squeeze 37s. With the 35s on the 6 it doesn't rub but I cant go a whole lot bigger where as others have plenty of room. Fitting it into the wells isnt a problem it is the outside edge of the tread that needs more room to make the sweep when turning so it doesnt catch the bumper edges or spats as you turn the wheel. Once you lift the bumper past the center of the hub the effects lessen some but still restricts you. Just do your homework so you know what's coming before it is on and wont work

Burstingbb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still don't quite understand the "Rock Slinger" look. I get that show trucks do it to draw attention but driving a fullsize truck that is now two feet wider is kind of nuts. :)

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still don't quite understand the "Rock Slinger" look. I get that show trucks do it to draw attention but driving a fullsize truck that is now two feet wider is kind of nuts. :)

Not to mention challenging to park just about anywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yessir, and then the other factors rear their ugly head… Tire wear, ball joint wear, bearing wear, etc.

as they say in the hood, that’s just axing for problems.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
this is a funny ass thread after reading all those comments and thinking about my buddy that has that goofy looking **** on a 1500 Ram, he can't hardly drive anywhere up town no more no banks, drive throughs any his truck rattles now from the rough ride

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Stupid... Yes.. And I believe if you look at the responses here, most agree, the only ones that don't think it's stupid, are a couple brain cells away from being declared ********.
Personal experiance... Not in the fanboy sense that we are talking about here, but way back before it was another stipulated trend, yes, I'm my tire shop we had tried to fit **** in rims that should never be on there. There is a reason tire manufacturers listed a recommended rim width range for every tire. A couple of old coworkers with crushed and broken fingers from us trying to do something do stupid for a cheap ass redneck customer on a Saturday afternoon, will agree with me. Lessons learned the hard way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I kind of thought a tire shop could not do **** like that, in Canada .

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
"I thought snowflakes melted in the summer"

I ******* lost it after that. Damn near pissed my pants laughing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
No they all move to B.C., Canada, and California don't they, This country is "run" buy a snow flake,

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
you can get anything done, anywhere:) lol
O.K., But the tire shop I used before I retired was very straight on using the right tires on the right rims, On a show truck, I could see it , but a working truck, or a trailer hauler, I just hate it.
There is a kid in town with a old Honda civic that must have came off a wrecker, hay wire and tape holding it together, wide low slicks and muffler that cost a pile, sounds like a 50cc 2 stock bike . Love to see it in the winter time with 6 in fresh snow. That would go for these truck wheels.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
should be outlawed, and an automatic hefty fine for this extremely stupid and unsafe act
I agree 100%, this is an extremely dangerous way to make a vehicle unsafe. Plus I am sure in an accident, this would bring a lawsuit against the vehicle owner.