Stuck Curt Gooseneck Hitch Ball on RAM 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Freddie DeJesus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just purchased a 2019 RAM Laramie 3500 DUALLY. There is a Curt 2-5/16 hitch ball in place and I can’t get it out. I have seeing many videos on how to remove them, however, the different with this one is the release mechanism (picture for reference). This release mechanism it’s not meant to move. There is not groove or space from top to bottom to move it up and to turn it to release the locking mechanism. I used WD-40 and cleaned around and have used many hand tools with no luck. Now, I’m new to this, maybe there is another method for me to do this that I’m not aware. Any recommendation will be appreciated.image.jpg

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Go to local hitch shop, they will be quickly able to remove it, looks like you need a new ball anyhow. If there is no release mechanism it has to be bolted from the bottom, which I have honestly never seen.

Last edited:

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
The release mechanism is part of the ball, at least on the ones I have seen. That is why I prefer the B&W system that is operated by a bale.

6882_3_lg.jpg
6882_4_lg.jpg

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would say that the last guy kind of abused it. And he couldn't get it out either to replace it. So, he just traded the truck in. Easier.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The B&W ones that flip over are no peach either. They usually get rusted in the inverted position. The little metal bar across the bottom breaks when trying to pull it out.

I had a Curt ball like the one pictured. The video is correct, if you don't get that lever turned 90 degrees to the slot it will never come out. The metal stem connected to the lever has two cutouts that allow the steel balls to retract when it is in the correct removal position. I had a stuck one once. I was able to move the lever into the correct position then beat on the sides of the ball with a 5 LB dead blow hammer like a mad man. After about 10 minutes the balls finally retracted.

I took the new ball and pulled the little plastic cap off the bottom. I completely filled the inner workings with grease until it came out the top. Replaced the plastic cap and have not had a problem with the new ball. Well, other than getting a little greasy when I need to remove the ball to haul plywood and such.

Honestly, the best thing to do with any removable ball is to remove it and store it the truck when not in use. I keep mine wrapped in a dish towel under the rear seat. I also coat the socket in the bed with grease and use one of the rubber plugs Curt makes to keep the water out.

I watched the hitch shop guys remove one once. They cut off the ball at the neck. Drove the stem that locks the balls out through the bottom with a punch. Beat on it with a hammer. Welded a clevis plate to the top and pulled it out with an overhead hoist. They even had a protective blanket with a hole in it to protect the bed liner while welding. I guess they have done a few of these.

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
That one has the steel balls that get pushed out into a groove just like the Curt. The Curts get stuck when the balls rust and don't retract.

If it were me I would grease the snot of that one too and store it in the case / truck when not in use. I would not leave it installed in the bed for an extended period of time.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Always in the case when not used.
Mainly 1) So nobody steals it. 2) I need my bed clear.

OP
OP
F

Freddie DeJesus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you all for your comments and recommendations. As of today I have not being able to remove it, I will take it to a shop at some point. Initially I was concerned that I was not going to be able to place a fifth wheel over it, but it did fit over the ball. Once I’m able to remove the ball I will post an update on how it was done. Thanks again.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
I would say that the last guy kind of abused it. And he couldn't get it out either to replace it. So, he just traded the truck in. Easier.
sounds like something i'd do.i can't count how many beater cars in my youth i traded rather than fixing/spending money on them.brakes shot? sell it, get another beater.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Freddie,
WD-40 is not a penetrant
WD = Water Displacer, like removing water away from places where electricity is needed, like a Distributor Caps & Spark Plugs

May i suggest, when rust or corrosion is involved, try products like :
Kano Kroil Penetrating Oil, ( a Fire Arm owners favorite tool )
PB B'laster, ( busts loose rusted or frozen parts caused by rust and corrosion )
Deep Creep penetrating oil
even
Liquid Wrench penetrating oil

Directed Flame is a last resort for personal use

Heat Induction Tool Kit, called the BOLT BUSTER, for shops $$$

Last edited:

Miami Hitches

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you all for your comments and recommendations. As of today I have not being able to remove it, I will take it to a shop at some point. Initially I was concerned that I was not going to be able to place a fifth wheel over it, but it did fit over the ball. Once I’m able to remove the ball I will post an update on how it was done. Thanks again.
We ran into this issue once... the metal fused together making it impossible to lift the release lever. We were able to use a wheel cutter to re-create the space between the ball and the lever. The ball released once we made the cut, it was also stuck due to dirt and grime (MUD) so we had to hit it from the bottom up.

Good luck
Miami Hitches

1680366934872.png

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's tough to do, but I've had to remove one like this before. I used an air hammer from underneath the bed and a ton of pb blaster and patience. It eventually broke loose and popped out.