Stuck in Reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Creamed12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently had to do a Cam and Lifter swap. After completion, I used HP Tuners to shut off the MDS. Went to start the truck and the dash indicator shows it's in Reverse. The shifter is in park and so is the lever on the transmission. I disconnected the shift linkage and manually moved it and still in reverse (never changes). I bought a shift solenoid kit, replaced it and all the sensors around the transmission and still in reverse. I didn't have this problem before the cam/lifter swap. Can someone please point me in the direction of what I should check.

I don't want to take it to the dealership. Thanks

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the truck drive normal and shift normal or is the transmission actually stuck in Reverse? Could be a bad/shorted connection somewhere if the truck still drives normal. Would have to trace back the reverse switch making sure it’s not broke/ bad connection somewhere

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Did you try undoing what you did to the MDS? When goofy things happen, it's very often connected to the last thing that was touched.

OP
OP
C

Creamed12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not stuck at all. I can shift through the gears fine, disconnect the linkage and manually shift through the gears fine. But never does the indicator on the dash change. I haven't been able to crank it. Being in reverse, it won't crank. So it doesn't drive. It was prior to the repairs. Is there a sensor or switch to check? Where would the reverse switch be located?

On the MDS, I didn't. I can try that, but I doubt that is the case.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure where the reverse switch is. Maybe someone else can help with that one. Somewhere on the linkage