Stuck Oil Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Owl Coast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was doing an oil change (3rd time in a row doing it with my Ram, so I'd like to think I know what I'm doing) and could not get the oil filter off. I tried using a cap wrench, the one I've been using for my Ram, but it was either stripping the filter or itself. I tried a vice wrench and that didn't work either (it was my first time ever using one, but all it did was dent the filter). I also jammed a screwdriver through it and tried to turn it that way, all that did was open the hole bigger that I jammed it through. I sprayed WD-40 on the threads but I could only reach one side of the filter with it, but that didn't seem to help. I feel stupid for not having put oil on the threads before I installed this filter and thinking that could be part of the problem. Please help!

Matt Franklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn’t worry about oil on the threads, I’ve never heard of any ody doing that. Sounds like you may have over tightened it when you put it on. I never go tighter than hand tight when I put a new filter on. I’ve got gorilla hands I guess, but hand tight should be good enough. In 30 years I’ve never had a leak, and I’ve never not been able to get a filter off after I installed it.

It soinds like you’ve tried all the tricks I know. Can you get one of the strap type wrenches in there? I’d think you’d want to get it down as close to the base as possible.

Nyca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Stupid question, and I don’t wanna be mean.
Do you turning the filter in the correct direction?
It can be sometimes confusing.

But I agree, I always tighten my filter hand tight and I don’t have gorilla hands.

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put a light coating of oil on the new filter gasket, not the threads. That's probably what's stuck.

And when using a plier-like filter wrench, the closer you can grip it to the filter mount, the better because the filter is more solid there than anywhere else so it won't dent as much. That's where you need the torque, too, because the farther away from the mount and threads the wrench is, some torque will be lost in twisting the filter body a little.

Fram filters used to (may still, but I use Wix now) have the instructions on them. Spin the filter on until it makes contact then another 1/4 turn. No need to duplicate how Charles Atlas does it at the factory.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get the channel lock oil filter/channel lock pliers: and see if U can get up in there at the base and work it free. May take a lot of small movements, but U should be able to eventually get the base to turn. Filter just on a threaded "bolt", must be jammed on outer ring housing. All IMHO.

Home Depot Has them, Walmart, maybe even local parts store. U not going to be able to get a strap or a regular wrench on filter since U dented and poked etc.,. U need to get at it at the base.

Some may say to get a butane torch and heat base and try to turn, but I would not try.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
Try a couple taps on the filter base with a hammer/chisle and as stated,make sure it's the right direction.It's not hard to go the wrong way if you're not in the mood,tired and things are not going well.Been there.Good luck.

GaryG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Old thread, but here was my solution. ‘07 Ram 1500/5.7l . . . oil filter was welded on from the factory. First oil change and couldn’t get the filter off no how.

Took one of those filter wrenches that uses a 3/8” drive, and rattled the filter with an impact gun. The vibrations did what a billion pounds of torque with a regular filter wrench couldn’t do.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had issues getting the original filter off. I tried everything I could think of. My neighbor let me borrow his cloth strap oil filter wrench. I got the strap as close to the top of the filter as possible and eventually it came off…all dented and torn from everything else I tried. Good luck

Bmags

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
It will damage the filter, but who cares sense it’s coming off anyways.

I had to use that on mine this last change.

Frankmarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 longhorn laramie
Engine
The dealer couldn’t get the filter off and crushed it so they just changed the oil and gave it back to me. 2 weeks later it started leaking. Went back to them and they said I crushed it I pointed out that it said factory installed on the filter and they said they changed it 2 weeks ago. They started to back peddle and said they would give me 2 oil changes for free. I told them to stuff it truck will never see that place again I travel 25 miles to another dealer for warranty work.

Heatheroo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
for the occasion that nothing seems to work and the the various wrenches just slip or crumple the filter, I have a cap type filter socket that I drilled 4 holes in. I stick it on the end of the uncooperative filter and, using a cordless drill, run 4 long screws up through the cap, basically bolting the cap to the filter. Yea, you will have oil leaking out but by now, you probably do anyway.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Be sure you have the right oil cap size wrench for the filter.
On my ram, the are some wrenches that are universal!!! Don’t use these. Throw them away. Use the exact specific size. Also note, some oil filter use more wrench flats than others. In this case you must use the cap wrench with the right amount of wrenches. Again, don’t use universal cap wrenches, they slip on the oil filter wrench flats to easily.