STUCK ON FUEL FILTER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Puffin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Diesel
MY Ram 2014 6.7 liter diesel is at the dealer today.....they say that the fuel filter is STUCK ON and they are concerned about breaking the housing it is attached to.
ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR THEM ON HOW TO UNSTICK A FUEL FILTER, A DIFFERENT DEALER INSTALLED THE CURRENT FILTER.....I WILL PASS IT ON TO THEM, I AM NOT WANTING TO PAY FOR WHATEVER IT IS SCREWED INTO IF IT BREAKS....

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If it was me, I would take it back to the dealer that put the filter on. If they break something it is their problem. If that isn't an option the only choice would be to take the fuel filter off in pieces so you don't have to torque it too hard on the mounting.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
By letting you know they are concerned about it they are relieving themselves of any liability if it breaks.
Like mentioned, if you can go back to the dealer that changed it last time I would. Doesn't guarantee they won't charge you if it breaks though.

I change my own and it can be tough to get off sometimes but the proper socket and slow/steady force and it will turn loose.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
How many miles since it was changed? Very doubtful the other dealer would do anything about it. Too many facors, simple corosion being the biggest.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How many miles since it was changed? Very doubtful the other dealer would do anything about it. Too many facors, simple corosion being the biggest.

It's all plastic, but I agree about the dealer not doing anything about it.

It's a bad design to be honest. I almost think the plastic threads deform when tightening causing it to bind up. It can be a bear to get off some times.

Geno's make a metal replacement cap that is supposed to work better, I might try one myself just to make life easier.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
OP, kind of expensive but might be worth trying so this doesn't happen again?

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
There is no corrosion because the filter housing and the cap are made for plastic.
Also the threads are not deforming causing it to be so hard to remove the top. The threads have nothing to do with sealing the filter housing. It is the rubber o-ring that does the sealing.
Slow steady pressure will get the top off. Whatever gorilla put the cap on the last time way over did it. Even the factory torque spec is too much.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I put a little grease on mine when I change it. Compare it to dry-fitting two PVC plumbing fittings then trying to get them apart. It's like they seize.

OP, either way, the housing cap has got to come off. A correct socket (It's a 28mm or 1 1/8") and a breaker bar with steady pressure. Maybe you'll get lucky.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
I’ve definitely used a breaker bar on my Cummins oil filter before, felt sketchy, but hey, what are you gonna do?

OP
OP
P

Puffin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Diesel
Thanks for your suggestions....dealer that put it on is in TX, we live in PA...done on a winter trip to El Paso....Local auto mechanic can get it off but he said he will destroy the plastic cap....so I will take suggestion and order the aluminum one from Genos...any other cap to consider???
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES....

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Thanks for your suggestions....dealer that put it on is in TX, we live in PA...done on a winter trip to El Paso....Local auto mechanic can get it off but he said he will destroy the plastic cap....so I will take suggestion and order the aluminum one from Genos...any other cap to consider???
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES....
No reason he should break it unless he is being ham handed. Up here, spare parts can be a long tiime showing up so we have learned to do things gently. Put an extension on the socket, apply slow steady pressure. It should release. If it won't take and apply the same steady pressure and take a dead drop hammer, those plastic shot filled jobs, and tap LIGHTLY on the bar while under pressure. That pretty much always works, but if even that fails cut the can off then take the filter base off in pieces, carefully. Next time make sure they grease the seal and threads before installing the new filter.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Make sure they use a 28MM 6PT socket. 1-1/8 is just a wee bit bigger than 28mm. Want to have a good snug fit on the plastic nut to keep from stripping it.