Stuttering/Jerking truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Captain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
I have a 2007 1 ton Dually with a 5.9l engine. When first taking off or going down hill with the cruise control on the truck is stuttering/jerky. I do not know if this is a tranny or fuel system problem. Can anyone give me an idea where to start my diagnostic so I am not chasing my money around trying to solve this issue?

Nate4x4

The Vehicle Reader
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4x4
I have a 2007 1 ton Dually with a 5.9l engine. When first taking off or going down hill with the cruise control on the truck is stuttering/jerky. I do not know if this is a tranny or fuel system problem. Can anyone give me an idea where to start my diagnostic so I am not chasing my money around trying to solve this issue?
Understanding that your truck is diesel, the shuttering when going downhill is more than likely the truck just trying to slow itself down. (Keeping itself at a fixed pace)

As far as the accelerating part of it...I'd guess dirty fuel injectors? Could be wrong though, its been a while.

OP
OP
C

Captain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
Ran an injector cleaner thru the system multiple times...still acting up

Ghostman

US Army Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 4x4, 2500
Not a Diesel owner, but is the shuttering/jerking, is it a feeling as though it is slipping, and then jerking? Or is it a sputtering of barely getting the fuel/bad fuel? Maybe try to elaborate more on what kind of shuddering/jerking. There should be a good difference between a fuel issue to a trans issue.
Does it run normal on level open road? stop and go? Any difference with or without cruise control?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I have a 07 diesel and every few months it might stumble some. I put some fuel dry in the tank. And its back to normal. Hope your problem is as simple as that...

USASQUINT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel

Redtruck-VA,

I just joined this forum cuz I am having the same behavior in mine. 2007 5.9 diesel. I have a 2500 auto. Bought this truck in great shape with no issues. It does have a banks economind tuner on it. Anyway, two days ago it started doing weird things while cruise is active. Did you ever get a better idea of what your issue was? or still having?

I never really use cruise much but I drove it today to work and used cruise. Noticed the same thing. Shutters intermittently after cresting a hill and starting on a down hill. I push the cruise OFF button and it stops. Any update on your end?

Ken in Idaho

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Mega Cab 3500
Engine
Diesel 5.9L
I believe that this jerky problem is totally software driven. When on level or slightly angled surfaces the unit starts to accelerate to the set speed, but quickly overshoots the setting and the injectors shut down to slow the vehicle, and then the undershoot opens the injectors and the sequence starts over. This lack of any cushion effectively becomes a self-eating watermelon. You will not have this going up or down grades of any substance. I do not know if the manufacturer has ever addressed this problem or not. It is not mechanical and there is nothing that I know of in Gen 3 to solve it other than a software change which may or may not be available.