Styling issue question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am wondering something about the similarities/differences between the Rebel, and other Ram truck versions. Specifically, my '21 Warlock, and the reason I am asking this here, is because it seems to share a lot of similarities with the Rebel. What I refer to as the Fu RAM Chu grill, the blacked out bumpers and badging, although to be fair, my Warlock has more of the front bumper blacked out than on the Rebel. Also, while looking in to getting more of the "chrome" blacked out (like the grill RAM), and different sized wheels (want 17", instead of 20s) that could have come on the truck with the all terrain package, the dealer's parts guy told me they were Rebel wheels.

My question is this, is the Warlock really a reworked 4th Gen Rebel with some slight body changes (front bumper is slightly different, and no MF tailgate), or is it really it's own truck?

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Warlock is just 4th gen truck with different look and options.
Which is basically what rebel is. 5th gen with different options.
Not 100%, but just about everything rebel has, can be added to Laramie (Off-road parts anyways) One other model as well I think.

Someone with more knowledge will reply.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My question is this, is the Warlock really a reworked 4th Gen Rebel with some slight body changes (front bumper is slightly different, and no MF tailgate), or is it really it's own truck?
That is correct, the Warlock is a Gen4 truck trim. There are several posts on this forum about people not being able to find any aftermarket parts for the Warlock, just about anything for a '18 Gen4 truck should work. The grill and bumper are slightly different and you may need to switch both if you want a different grill or bumper (if either fit a Rebel it should work).

OP
OP
W

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is correct, the Warlock is a Gen4 truck trim. There are several posts on this forum about people not being able to find any aftermarket parts for the Warlock, just about anything for a '18 Gen4 truck should work. The grill and bumper are slightly different and you may need to switch both if you want a different grill or bumper (if either fit a Rebel it should work).
I am aware it is a 4th Gen. That is not what I was asking. And I already have been guided, here and elsewhere, about the aftermarket parts. My question was, did FCA/RAM just basically take a 4th Gen Rebel, and slap a couple different parts on it and call it a Warlock?

The Rebel grill (current one at least) and the Warlock grill are identical. I call it the Fu RAM Chu grill. The biggest difference 4th Warlock /5th Rebel on the front is actually in the head lights. On the 5th Gen, the ends toward the front quarter panels are sort of rounded, compared to the 4th Gens, that have a sharper angle towards the bottom edge. That and the chin spoiler you pointed out.

4th Gen Rebel

5th Gen Warlock

Mine is Hydro Blue, but I don't have the step bar, but otherwise, second pic is my truck. (Also not from that dealer.) Oh, and the side exit exhaust on the 2021 Classic. I think that one has a 6-cylinder, mine has the Hemi with the dual outlets under the bumper. There is an option on the Warlock, with the all-terrain package to get the wheel designs on the 4th Gen Rebel that you see in the picture. I asked about them at the dealer closer to me, and they said they were Rebel wheels.

Different hood, which is available as the sport hood on the 4th Gen Classics, and different paint job, with the black stripe on the bottom edge of the body, but to me, the 4th Gen Rebel and Classic Warlock look almost identical.

Last edited:

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am aware it is a 4th Gen. That is not what I was asking. And I already have been guided, here and elsewhere, about the aftermarket parts. My question was, did FCA/RAM just basically take a 4th Gen Rebel, and slap a couple different parts on it?

I think it would be how to view it.

Technically Warlock model is not new. That name come out sometime in 70's or early 80's. Can't remember exactly.
You could say the rebel was based off it.

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
The 4th-gen RAM Rebel was produced from 2015-2018 and was succeeded by the 4th-gen RAM Classic Warlock in 2019. As fas as I can discern, the main difference between the two is that the Warlock is not available with the air-ride suspension available on the 4th-gen Rebel. The grille and front bumper assemblies are identical (and interchangeable) between the two except for the color of certain components. There are likely other minor differences, but for all practical purposes, they are very similar trucks.

The 5th-gen RAM Rebel is a different animal altogether, being a 5th-gen platform truck. 5th-gen grille styling carried over similar cues from the Rebel grille design.

HTH,

es

OP
OP
W

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it would be how to view it.

Technically Warlock model is not new. That name come out sometime in 70's or early 80's. Can't remember exactly.
You could say the rebel was based off it.

Yep, and that time, the Dodge trucks had, relatively speaking, a lot of special editions. Warlock was one of them, Lil' Red Express was another. There was also Power Wagon, if I remember right, but I do not remember if there were more.

The main similarity, other than the name, is the fact it also has a short bed. No regular cab, or special paint job or wheels specific to that edition, and unlike other trucks of the time, no special higher powered motor than the others of the Dodge line.

The 5th-gen RAM Rebel is a different animal altogether, being a 5th-gen platform truck. 5th-gen grille styling carried over similar cues from the Rebel grille design.

All of the 5th Gens are, compared to the 4th. There are some similarities I am sure, same engine, probably same drive train on similar configured trucks 4x2, 4x4, and very subtle differences on the body, just enough to be a pain in the ***.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On a different note, and maybe more support that the Warlock isn't that special anymore, on the overall group of this section, "Dodge Ram Specialty Vehicles", there is no Warlock section, even though back when Warlock was first made by Dodge, it was a special edition.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
On a different note, and maybe more support that the Warlock isn't that special anymore, on the overall group of this section, "Dodge Ram Specialty Vehicles", there is no Warlock section, even though back when Warlock was first made by Dodge, it was a special edition.
I would put TRX, PW, Rebel and Warlock in to one Specialty section.
While they are all kind of different, they are 'special'
PW seems to be most popular based on users in on this site.

My area and highway I drive daily. I mostly see classic new/old ram's. 3 TRX, 4 Rebels, 1 PW, 0 Warlocks(so far)

OP
OP
W

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would put TRX, PW, Rebel and Warlock in to one Specialty section.
While they are all kind of different, they are 'special'
PW seems to be most popular based on users in on this site.

My area and highway I drive daily. I mostly see classic new/old ram's. 3 TRX, 4 Rebels, 1 PW, 0 Warlocks(so far)

I would tend to agree, but, and I have found pictures to support this theory, the '19+ "Classic" Warlock out now appears to just be a slightly reworked 4th Gen Rebel, down to the same exact front bumper layout in some of the pictures I have seen. The color scheme is pretty much exactly the same, only difference being they had a cooler (to me) blue available, that was part way between the Hydro (too light) and the Patriot (too dark). I think it was called Blue Streak. Oh, that and the Rebel, if I remember right, only comes in Crew Cab, which CAN be an option on the Warlock as well.

hydro blue warlock stock image.jpg (Stock pic of my Warlock)

ram-1500-blue-streak-ds-dj-100.jpg (Blue Streak 4th Gen Rebel)

Last edited:

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 4th gen Warlocks are nothing special, basically a stripped down truck for the most part that they put the Rebel grille and bumper on but kept the upgraded projector headlights and perhaps the LED tails. I look at it as sort of a parts-bin special.

The 4th Gen Rebel was a pretty high trim level that took on the tougher offroad appearance. IMO, the 4th Gen Rebels are pretty ugly.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess it depends on what you call special..I make everytruck I own special. You need to have an artistic eye and desire to make your Warlock Special..mine is!

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I guess it depends on what you call special..I make everytruck I own special. You need to have an artistic eye and desire to make your Warlock Special..mine is!
yup! sure do love my hydro blue warlock with the 17" rebel style black wheels. really sharp!20221112_130749.jpg

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 4th gen Warlocks are nothing special, basically a stripped down truck for the most part that they put the Rebel grille and bumper on but kept the upgraded projector headlights and perhaps the LED tails. I look at it as sort of a parts-bin special.

The 4th Gen Rebel was a pretty high trim level that took on the tougher offroad appearance. IMO, the 4th Gen Rebels are pretty ugly.

I agree on both accounts!