Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Going to try and explain this the best I can.

So I recently got camshaft/lifters done and upgraded the oil pump at a shop. Now I’ve noticed a tapping almost sound when the oil is 190+ and when at idle with psi at 30-34…. And driving at 68-70 psi and then I’ve noticed also sometimes when driving and I come to a complete stop at a stop sign or red light it would drop to 26 then rise to 34 with a 5-10 second delay this rarely happens.

Anyone suggest anything? Running 5w30 instead of 5w20? I use Pennzoil 5w20 full synthetic high milage..

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes run 5w30 new lifters will tick and tap for a while takes a good 2k miles for them to break in even then hot idle can be a little tick your oil pressure is normal.
I did my first oil change 2 weeks ago I’ve put on about 4500 miles on already. My next oil change I’ll do 5/30 suggest any oil filters? I use k&N

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did my first oil change 2 weeks ago I’ve put on about 4500 miles on already. My next oil change I’ll do 5/30 suggest any oil filters? I use k&N
Alot of ppl like the royal purple filters honestly down to prefrence i use purolator boss just never use a fram filter on anything you own every blown motor i get has one on it just saying.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some people just love that orange can! :rolleyes: Coursee there are different grade products too. They're not all that 'fall-apart' seam product ..I guess.

OP, let us know after a while how things go with the sound. Yer sure it's not the exhaust manifolds, right?

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Alot of ppl like the royal purple filters honestly down to prefrence i use purolator boss just never use a fram filter on anything you own every blown motor i get has one on it just saying.
Yah fram ive never used, my next oil change I might try the RP filter along with the 5/30 oil.

OP
OP
MarcoFuc

MarcoFuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Some people just love that orange can! :rolleyes: Coursee there are different grade products too. They're not all that 'fall-apart' seam product ..I guess.

OP, let us know after a while how things go with the sound. Yer sure it's not the exhaust manifolds, right?
On a cold start, there is no tapping or tick, only when the engine is about 190-200 “sometimes” it’s not all the time it makes the sound. Also goes away when I rev it alittle bit

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500

LOL - yep. Reminds me of a saying my grandfather had when someone asked him if he wanted a vegetable for dinner. He said nope, everyone I knew that's died ate vegetables.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL - yep. Reminds me of a saying my grandfather had when someone asked him if he wanted a vegetable for dinner. He said nope, everyone I knew that's died ate vegetables.
Its just something I have noticed between marine/auto engines I have rebuilt/fixed at least 50 engines most had frams ahaha.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Lol

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Its just something I have noticed between marine/auto engines I have rebuilt/fixed at least 50 engines most had frams ahaha.
And yet, the fram ultra is always in the top tier where ever you look at reviews.