SumoSprings Solo Springs or Timbren SES

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BSLugnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am looking to reduce some squat in my truck when hauling firewood several times a year.
Both on and off road, but most of the driving distance is on pavement.

I have a 2012 RAM 1500 4WD Crew Cab with 275/65-20 tires on it.
I have a set BILSTEIN B8 5100 Ride Height Adjustable shocks on the front axel and 1-1.25" coil spacer in the rear, to level the truck.

I was looking at the Timbren SES and the SumoSprings Solo, reduce the squat and headlights aiming high.

Are there any pros/cons with one over the other?

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had the SumoSprings on my last truck for trailer towing....they really helped with the squat and were very easy to istall. You will feel them at times over bumps even when unloaded....but I didn't mind. I hear the Timbren work well too....I have never used them. Good luck.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I had Sumo Springs on my 1500 and put them on my current 2500. They work well preventing squat and reducing bounce.

OP
OP
BSLugnut

BSLugnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
According to Timbren SES, there should be a ½” to 1½” gap between rubber spring and axle to ensure unloaded ride quality.
Overall kit height = 5.5”

According to SumoSprings, there should be a 1/4" to 1/2” gap between rubber spring and axle to ensure unloaded ride quality.
Overall kit height = 6.5"

Below is the photo of the current gap between rubber spring and axle. (empty/no load)

PXL_20210921_142119935.jpg

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
On both of my installations I had maybe 1/64 for a space. I don't think they affected ride quality at all.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had sumo springs on my truck, felt every bump when unloaded. Pulled them off and tried airlift 1000. Same problem, even aired down to min psi I felt bumps, pulled them off to.

Next will try timbrens. I will not give up my unloaded ride quality, the large, comfortable ride and awesome interior is half the reason I bought the Ram in the first place.

OP
OP
BSLugnut

BSLugnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had sumo springs on my truck, felt every bump when unloaded. Pulled them off and tried airlift 1000. Same problem, even aired down to min psi I felt bumps, pulled them off to.

Next will try timbrens. I will not give up my unloaded ride quality, the large, comfortable ride and awesome interior is half the reason I bought the Ram in the first place.
I am looking for a similar result in that I would like to retain my stock ride without load.

I have heard mixed results with the SumoSprings being bouncy under load.

It appears that the SumoSprings are designed to be touching or within 1/4" of the axel, without load.

It appears that the Timbrens are designed to 1" gap, to provide the stock ride without load.

With the coil spring spacer that I have installed, I am guessing the Timbrens will have a 2-2.5" gap while the SumoSprings will have < 1" gap.

Timbren has told me if there is more than 1.5" gap, to call them and they can ship a different spacer, to reduce the axel gap to < 1.5".

I am thinking both will reduce the squat and mitigate me blinding on coming traffic with my headlights.

I am just not sure which has the "better" ride under load.

OP
OP
BSLugnut

BSLugnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OC455, thanks for the recommendation as I have not heard of Timber Grove before.
I don't think I am in the market for an air suspension due to the "maintenance" required.
I am not sure how these or any airbags will retain their air pressure in cold weather?
As I do go into the mountains off the grid for weeks at a time.

For this reason alone, I was looking at the SumoSprings and Timbrens.

Do you have the Timber Grove installed on your rig?
If so, what has been your experience in the bags retaining air pressure in colder temps below 32F?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd be very wary of any aftermarket air system. Tried that, it changed the unloaded ride quality. If that doesn't concern you, the cold weather should because many air suspensions get condensation in the lines/compressor and cause blowouts (even Ram's air suspension has problems up here in Canada sometimes).

The Timbren's honestly seem like the best bet, quick and easy to install and you can even swap them in/out with factory bump stops (takes < minute) when you're not pulling a trailer.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
OC455, thanks for the recommendation as I have not heard of Timber Grove before.
I don't think I am in the market for an air suspension due to the "maintenance" required.
I am not sure how these or any airbags will retain their air pressure in cold weather?
As I do go into the mountains off the grid for weeks at a time.

For this reason alone, I was looking at the SumoSprings and Timbrens.

Do you have the Timber Grove installed on your rig?
If so, what has been your experience in the bags retaining air pressure in colder temps below 32F?
I had the Timber Grove ASAM's on my 2018 Bighorn. I live in Upstate NY, and if you are worried about cold, I can say they do very well. I had them hooked up to AirLift WirelessOne system. Every time I started my truck, if the pressure was lower than 7psi I had the compressor set to, it would bump up to 7psi which was rare. Even in the cold. We had a month straight of below ZERO weather here and it wasn't a problem with the air springs.

The ASAM's replace the bump snubbers like the Timbrens do. Maintenance is basically nothing with them. If you don't run an onboard compressor setup, it's just a fill line you can add air to or remove air. Timber Grove ASAM's use DOT spec lines. It's a great product.

20180530_210258.jpg

20180530_210321.jpg

OP
OP
BSLugnut

BSLugnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the Timber Grove ASAM's on my 2018 Bighorn. I live in Upstate NY, and if you are worried about cold, I can say they do very well. I had them hooked up to AirLift WirelessOne system. Every time I started my truck, if the pressure was lower than 7psi I had the compressor set to, it would bump up to 7psi which was rare. Even in the cold. We had a month straight of below ZERO weather here and it wasn't a problem with the air springs.

The ASAM's replace the bump snubbers like the Timbrens do. Maintenance is basically nothing with them. If you don't run an onboard compressor setup, it's just a fill line you can add air to or remove air. Timber Grove ASAM's use DOT spec lines. It's a great product.

When you installed the "AirLift WirelessOne system", did you install it in the storage bin in the backseat floor board?
When you installed the "AirLift WirelessOne system", did you install it in the storage bin in the backseat floor board?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
On the frame underneath the driver's door. Worked out well there.

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI

I have the timbrens in my truck. The ride does remain unchanged. The only time I notice is when i go over a very large pothole or bump on the highway. It will bottom out and you feel the thump when they bottom out. It did help out with the squat tremendously. I picked up some gravel from the gravel pit. I asked the guy to keep dumping until i thought it bottomed out. It ended up being over 5000lbs. Luckily, I only had to drive across the street, i wont be doing that again. :favorites68:

1633534845979.png