Super Charging 2500 6.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
Hey,

I’m looking to speak to some knowledgable people on building out an engine on a 2021 PW 75th. 6.4L.

I know tuning/equipment for some of my plans will take place when available.

I would like to SC it with a Pro Charger. I see their web site is showing up to 2020’s for the 6.4L.

2020 PW and 2021 Use the same engine space it. Would my challenge be the tuning ? What are all the steps and prep I should take before I install the SC, does a 6.4L handle 6psi boost fine? Longevity of the engine in this set up? First hand experience on 6.4L 2500s and boosting would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your time guys, appreciate the info.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Hey,

I’m looking to speak to some knowledgable people on building out an engine on a 2021 PW 75th. 6.4L.

I know tuning/equipment for some of my plans will take place when available.

I would like to SC it with a Pro Charger. I see their web site is showing up to 2020’s for the 6.4L.

2020 PW and 2021 Use the same engine space it. Would my challenge be the tuning ? What are all the steps and prep I should take before I install the SC, does a 6.4L handle 6psi boost fine? Longevity of the engine in this set up? First hand experience on 6.4L 2500s and boosting would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your time guys, appreciate the info.
I considered doing this. Just because I am a forced induction junkie.

Our biggest problem right now is tuning. That Livernois place claims they can unlock, and tune the 2020 2500s. But I am skeptical of a company I haven't heard of. And cant find a whole lot on them.

My other reason was for off roading. The PW has special throttle maps in the ECU to make for smoother easier operation when rock crawling and such. So unless they REALLY know how to tune these things. I could see this being missed, and just making for an uncomfortably snappy throttle off road.

Lastly. Just remember. You can build the engine to the moon. But once you start adding serious power you have to think about the Tcase, transmission, and your diffs. This truck is big, and heavy enough as it is. Could you imagine the stress with another 100ftlbs of torque? Lol.

Once you start building for power. It doesnt matter what you do. Maintenance will increase. And reliability will decrease. Its just the nature of the beast.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Livernois is pretty big in the GM/LS world. I've heard of them from my Corvette days. They have a pretty solid rep there.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Livernois is pretty big in the GM/LS world. I've heard of them from my Corvette days. They have a pretty solid rep there.

Yeah but everyone tunes LS cars right? lol.

to add. i only heard of them on this forum when the 2020 2500 came out... but there arent many first hand experiences, and other than that, i have seen a couple comments/complaints..

But lets face it. When **** hits the fan after you tune your truck... Its ALWAYS the tuners fault right? lol

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Yeah but everyone tunes LS cars right? lol.

to add. i only heard of them on this forum when the 2020 2500 came out... but there arent many first hand experiences, and other than that, i have seen a couple comments/complaints..

But lets face it. When **** hits the fan after you tune your truck... Its ALWAYS the tuners fault right? lol
Oh yeah I'm not saying have them tune it but as far as unlocking the PCM, I don't think it matters who does that. Anyone who tunes Challengers/Chargers/Hellcat's can tune it after that.
Livernois unlocked my 1500 PCM and after I got it back from them, sure enough, unlocked...Not much else to say.

BigLazer4u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Pro charger does not make a system for the ram 2500 6.4 hemi 2019 or newer model. How do I know this? I researched this when I bought my truck. Even spoke with procharger on when it would be available.

6BCC3753-8AF0-4CDE-8741-6730ED8DF9A7.jpeg

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Oh yeah I'm not saying have them tune it but as far as unlocking the PCM, I don't think it matters who does that. Anyone who tunes Challengers/Chargers/Hellcat's can tune it after that.
Livernois unlocked my 1500 PCM and after I got it back from them, sure enough, unlocked...Not much else to say.
Yeah I was gonna bring that up. So livernois can unlock your pcm. But how come hemi fever or the other guys haven't jumped on tuning them yet?

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Pro charger does not make a system for the ram 2500 6.4 hemi 2019 or newer model. How do I know this? I researched this when I bought my truck. Even spoke with procharger on when it would be available.

View attachment 233291
I think whipple makes a roots type for the BGE 6.4

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
I think whipple makes a roots type for the BGE 6.4

They don't make a kit specifically for the 6.4 truck. Any of their hemi systems will physically bolt on but as far as the pulleys and such there probably would need to be some fabricobbling done.
I'm using the 5.7 kit on my 6.4 based 426 but I'm using the timing cover and stuff from the 5.7.

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't go with any sort of centrifugal SC. I'd stay with roots or screw type (positive displacement). Unless you are tracking it and keeping the motor in high rpms a positive displacement SC will make more power down low which is what heavy trucks like. Power is more linear instead of like a light switch (but tuning plays heavy into this also).

Stock 6.4 motors don't like boost. The top ring land is too close and can easily break or chip. You will need a really good tuner to make sure its setup properly for reliability. Many people who SC stock 6.4's end up blowing them. Not all but many especially ones that don't do their homework with tuning.

Hellcat motors are so much easier to tune because they come with widebands from the factory, and can adjust AFR to modifications. Standard 5.7/6.4 don't have widebands and cannot be installed (linked to PCM). You can install them to run a gauge but not tie into the stock PCM. They also run NN (neural network) which if not setup for boost from the factory is a ***** to tune. You basically cannot change the VE tables but instead modify injector pulse width to adjust for fueling. Most tuners disable NN and enable sensed map for boosted applications, and adjust speed density, FA and timing which takes a lot of dyno time to get right. Change one variable and you need to retune. It takes many hours, time and dev to get a tune setup. That is why many places offer packages that keep many things the same so to have a good base to start with. The tune they use is something they perfected and worked on over time, and then only tweak for minor differences for each specific vehicles. They don't reinvent the wheel for every customer.

OP
OP
B Mitty

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
This is great info, and a good learning experience for me. It’s really hard to find info in this, I guess it’s just not a common thing. At the end of the day, I do not want to blow the engine up, it’s not ever going on a track.

I’ll look at purchasing a TRX in the future if this is what I still want after a year or 2 of the PW.

Header catback exhaust, s&b cold air, tune when available. This is what I will most likely do, and put the savings towards a TRX.

Do you guys have suggestions on performance header exhaust, that will give a deeper, more performance oriented HP gain without the kinda drone in cab I’m getting from my magnaflow? I love the sound, when driving behind the truck/ driving around, the main time I hear the drone in cab is in 3rd to 4th accelerating. And the initial whoosh when cold starting.

I start work very early mornings. And wake everyone up in my house starting the engine. Happy wife is happy life. Not waking her every morning at 3am will go a long way in this department lol.

OP
OP
B Mitty

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
When I was looking around d I saw this... which is why I thought they had 2020’s tuned and figured out.
42531E0A-9D0C-4865-916D-1A73200778F9.png

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the 2500/3500 I would also stick to a TVS or roots blower just for the better low end tq. For headers I highly recommend the ARH system then pairing that with the Magnaflow catback. ARH makes the best headers for the RAM. This combo will give you great flow while not being overly loud and it will have a nice deep tone. If you should do a SC down the road headers make for a great supporting mod!

Message me if you would like a quote on anything.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, yeah - a Whipple or Edelbrock screw SC for a '20. Haven't seen a single thing yet...

HAHA well we offer the products, not manufacture them so I can't help much if its not made yet. I will reach out and say there is interest in it but that doesn't mean they will build it. What I always tell people in situations like this is that the more people that ask for it the more real interest they see in the product. They need to see potential sales before they invest R&D in a new product. The more people who ask for it the better

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Here's my take on why you haven't seen a roots style blower yet. There is an elaborate EGR setup on these trucks with a huge cooler in the intake valley right where the blower needs to sit. So any aftermarket roots style solution needs to either remove or reengineer the EGR setup. Considering the potential legal implication of removing an emission device I'm not surprised we haven't seen something released yet. I have been asking Whipple about a 6.4 HD kit for years, and its been in development for years. Not holding my hopes up.

RAM64EGR.jpg

On my truck we deleted the EGR (it's off road only of course) when I replaced the cam. It's remarkably easy to remove this setup entirely. Two identical block off plates and some hose are all that's required. The only issue I'm having now is getting Diablo to provide a mechanism to remove the CEL's. Currently getting four codes. Not sure if HP Tuner has any ability to delete these codes either.

Regardless of what's been said in press releases the pistons are most definitely cast and not forged. The Mopar pricing reflects this as well when you compare to what they charge for a 6.2 Hellcat piston/rod combo (they are sold together as a unit for some reason). From what I can tell they look to have more meat above the top right then an SRT 6.4 piston, but still not what most would call generous. The lower compression (10:1) should help a bit. I'd have a wideband 02 hooked up to my programmer and make sure the tune was spot on before running much boost.

64PistonSide1.jpg 64PistonSide2.jpg 64PistonTop.jpg

NDanecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can disable DTC's with HP Tuners (far better then Diablo IMO). They both work with pros and cons for each.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
TheViking- Youre throwing a cam in that thing now too?!

Yes sir, but it wasn't my fault. Honest. That's what I told my wife anyway.

About a year ago my lifters started making more noise. Used to only be for 20-30 seconds at startup but suddenly it was audible while driving around. Assuming the worst, that a lifter would seize and take out the cam I decided to swap everything out for fresh parts. But if you're going go through all the trouble to swap lifters didn't really make much sense to leave the baby cam in there. So I called MMX and they recommended their BGE specific grind (obviously). Also deleted the MDS setup and installed Hellcat lifters, Hellcat intake/exhaust valves and a Hellcat oil pump while I was in there. It's definitely not an easy or cheap job and for about 2k more I probably just could have bought an non-MDS long block. But I digress, in summary:

MMX BGE cam kit link:
https://www.modernmusclextreme.com/p-1431-64l-hemi-performance-camshaft-kit-bge-ram-na-by-mmx.aspx
Cam specs:
MMXBGECamSpecs2.jpg

Regarding the valves, turns out the BGE heads do not include the hollow intake/sodium exhaust valves its SRT cousin gets. Just cheapy stuff, although they are nitride coated. I found an unbelievable deal on SRT valves so had the heads cleaned/surfaced and swapped valves.

I need to stop hijacking this thread and start my own so I'll forgo the other details. But it's definitely not the cheapest way to make power even if it was a lot of fun to pull everything apart.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963