Supercharger/procharger with high mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackouttheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my ‘13 ram back in November, my third dodge truck but my first hemi. (Had 2 third gen 4.7’s, a auto 2wd and a manual 4wd. I loved them both)

When I bought this ram I was amazed by the power. It had 140k miles 4x4, stock tire size, hot air intake and passenger side sideshooter exhaust.

Well now I’m at 160k and less than impressed when I want to move. It seems like the only things I can blow the doors off are prius’ so that gets a guy thinking “I need more power!”

So my question: Is it a bad idea to put a whipple supercharger on a 5.7 with that many miles?

Are there other things I should maybe consider? Cams? Or Would a procharger be better/worse?

Also, not knowing what the Prev owner has had done, if I do go the super charger route are there maintenance items I should have done first?

Thanks!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I bought my ‘13 ram back in November, my third dodge truck but my first hemi. (Had 2 third gen 4.7’s, a auto 2wd and a manual 4wd. I loved them both)

When I bought this ram I was amazed by the power. It had 140k miles 4x4, stock tire size, hot air intake and passenger side sideshooter exhaust.

Well now I’m at 160k and less than impressed when I want to move. It seems like the only things I can blow the doors off are prius’ so that gets a guy thinking “I need more power!”

So my question: Is it a bad idea to put a whipple supercharger on a 5.7 with that many miles?

Are there other things I should maybe consider? Cams? Or Would a procharger be better/worse?

Also, not knowing what the Prev owner has had done, if I do go the super charger route are there maintenance items I should have done first?

Thanks!
You'd be farther ahead to spend that money on swapping an 8 speed into the truck,as you're old RFE probably won't last as soon as you stick boost to the motor,or else buy up every RFE you can get your hands on,and get good at swapping them on a monthly basis. The 8 speed will wake the truck up to about a 1/2 second or roughly 5 or 6 truck lengths on a stop light race.Sound German is in your backyard as Russel's out of the Seattle area,and he has a kit to swap your transmission to the more capable 8 speed.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
2013 was the transition year for the 8 speed. Op might already have the 8 speed with the dial shifter.

OP
OP
B

Blackouttheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do have the 8 speed transmission. What’s wrong with wanting more power and asking if a higher mileage 5.7 would last? Seems like y’all don’t think much of the 5.7 or maybe it’s just my high mileage? 7 grand for a supercharger is pennys compared to buying a trx even used. Even if I had the motor rebuilt it’s still not even scratching the surface.

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
I was about to put a Whipple on a new 5.7 in my 2014 Ram. Got some good schooling here on the do's and don'ts. It's a risk thing. Best of luck on your build!

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think a couple have answered why already. You are asking for problems that will be magnified ten fold with a SC without better parts. Hey maybe you will get extremely lucky but to be honest now is the miles that the lifters typically go. If it is pennies then a rebuild before being forced having to rebuild would be recommended.

OP
OP
B

Blackouttheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never said it was pennies, only Pennies compared to the trx, a truck with the performance i would be looking to mimic. And other than someone saying they personally wouldn’t without a rebuild and someone else calling it clapped out no one really said any reason it’d be a problem.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I never said it was pennies, only Pennies compared to the trx, a truck with the performance i would be looking to mimic. And other than someone saying they personally wouldn’t without a rebuild and someone else calling it clapped out no one really said any reason it’d be a problem.

Have checked out and/or contacted them? modernmusclextreme

Since you asked, I think it's bad idea. Only because it's has so many miles on it already.
I've been thinking about doing it to my 2021. I'm thinking about ProCharger.
Price is around same, but kits they have are nicer in my view.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Got some good schooling here on the do's and don'ts.
^^^ this
There a few threads on this forum about building power, with and without boost. To give you the Cliff Notes version even on a new Hemi you sorta have to limit how much boost you run and even still it's risky. If it's not tuned correctly the engine will eat itself.
If your looking to drop $7K on a super charger make sure the engine will hold up, have the whole thing rebuilt with the parts needed to hold up to the amount of boost you want to run.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm thinking about ProCharger.
Price is around same, but kits they have are nicer in my view.
A Whipple (twin screw style) can make more boost at a lower rpm compared the centrifugal type of the ProCharger, depends on what your looking for out of the supercharger.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
A Whipple (twin screw style) can make more boost at a lower rpm compared the centrifugal type of the ProCharger, depends on what your looking for out of the supercharger.

For me, it's the brand and used them before. Local Shop I go to, does both. They have done few cars in past for me.
Still deciding if I want just trade it in for TRX or keep changing this one :)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
For me, it's the brand and used them before. Local Shop I go to, does both. They have done few cars in past for me.
Still deciding if I want just trade it in for TRX or keep changing this one :)
If a TRX is an option,trade it in for one instead. You get a way better driveline in the TRX and a truck that won't depreciate like a modded 5.7 truck will. Plus the TRX will have a warrenty still.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you are asking for trouble adding boost to a high mile motor. I would do a rebuild 1st.

What gears do you have? what size tires are you running?

What about some bolts on and tune? Long tube headers and a tune will make a noticable difference and if you choose to boost it, headers are a great supporting mod!

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
There are other considerations for the TRX too besides big HP #s...
A TRX isn't just a boosted Hemi in a standard truck, it's a whole different animal than your '13.
In fact I've commented before that if I could get a TRX with an NA 6.4L for Power Wagon money I'd have done it in a second...

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Have you gone through your truck to do a tune up and changed all the fluids? You would be amazed at the difference proper maintenance can make. I have a 350z that was feeling sluggish after moving to Colorado. Assumed it was just power loss due to the altitude. Turns outs my spark plugs were toast with only 50k miles on them. Swapped them out and it runs like new again. If you do decide to go forced induction, make sure your budget includes money for a rebuild.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
I enjoy this forum and the members because it's usually full of good advice, I can get answers to questions pretty quickly, and the debates are fun.

Dude, if you want to put a blower on your motor, nothing should stop you assuming you are in a position to have a down truck if/when your motor blows. The bottom ends of these engines are really strong, I doubt you've worn it out at that mileage. Yes, you'll have some wear on your rings/cylinders, but that may end up helping as your compression ratio may be a bit lower and the rings will be a tad more forgiving. Here's the deal; you need to set aside funds for a good tuner who will keep you from blowing your engine and tranny. That's going to cost some bucks. If/when you blow up the motor, you'll still have a supercharger waiting on your rebuilt motor so what's the harm? This is the United States of America. Do whatever the hell you want, it's a free country (still) and fortune favors the bold! Remember no matter what when you strap a blower to that engine you are going to shorten it's lifespan, but another 20,000-30,000 miles of smiles is better than 100,000 of boring.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 14 sport with the 8 speed, power is still as good as always was from new,Still stock. so you are down power? or just want more now , More is always better, But at what cost?