Surging and Misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Myrepete13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi 186k

Bully Dog GT Tuner
6" pro comp lift on 35's
Head work (told by previous owner. Business is no longer around. No more info)
Long tube headers
Flow master intake

Truck has been surging off an on since I bought it a few months ago. Did a drain and fill on the tranny with new filters. Started surging more. Idles around 1300 cold and goes up 300-400 then back down in perfect pattern. Checked the throttle body and cleaned it along with MAF sensor. Cleaned the Throttle body sensor as well. Put it in gear and it lowers RPM. Fluid is at level. Surges through to warm.

When I bought the truck it had original spark plugs and coils. Had a misfire on 3 & 8. Replaced with new champion and coil packs. Old ones were almost all closed. DTC went away and came back today for 3 again. The tune is pretty basic nothing aggressive. Any ideas?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Swap coil pack #3 with #4 on the other side. Clear codes. Road test. If you develop a misfire code for #4 then it's a bad coil pack. Don't buy amazon china junk aftermarket coilpacks or this can continue.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Why champion? You should be using NGK OEM nickel spark plugs .... Champions are good don't get me wrong, but everyone I know that has older Rams have switched from Champion to NGKs due to performance issues ... mostly because of how quick the burn up ....

Another thing is are you using 87, 89 or 91 gas in this truck? .... if you are using anything but 91 that or have been using nothing but 91, that will be the reason your truck is having issues now ... people just don't want to believe it but 87 and 89 is going to really mess these engines up, every single area that bad fuel can damage it will be done with 87 and 89 ...

Sillygoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another thing is are you using 87, 89 or 91 gas in this truck? .... if you are using anything but 91 that or have been using nothing but 91, that will be the reason your truck is having issues now ... people just don't want to believe it but 87 and 89 is going to really mess these engines up, every single area that bad fuel can damage it will be done with 87 and 89 ...
lol uh huh
Does it misfire under heavy throttle?